I

I'm exhausted

Living in constant fear. I need cats!!
Jul 12, 2019
I hope this is okay to post. I don't want to get banned for this. If this isn't suitable I'll take it down if you tell me how.

I have a children's book story that people I've shown to absolutely love. Unfortunately because of my circumstances I can't do illustrations. I really want to CTB by end of the month but if I can get an advance by a publisher, if I can get enough money to get the treatment I know I need and trying to get for six years, I feel I can keep trying. But I'm at my end for now.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I would love to share my story but after two of my friends stole my designs and passed as theirs and thrives stealing things from me, I'm a bit hesitant.

• Hugs
Reactions: Circles, Lilanel, Woodnote and 3 others
puppy9

puppy9

au revoir
Jun 13, 2019
Hey give me some pointers on how to write children's book. It's like a second set of parents for those buggers.

Reactions: Circles
M

mediocre

trapped here
Nov 9, 2019
Have you thought about hiring an illustrator online on a site like Upwork?

I

I'm exhausted

Jul 12, 2019
Have you thought about hiring an illustrator online on a site like Upwork?

I have but unfortunately I don't have any money And at the risk of sounding like a choosingbeggar, I'm looking for a specific style.

Reactions: Circles and mediocre
azucaramargo

azucaramargo

Enlightened
Sep 16, 2018
I hope this is okay to post. I don't want to get banned for this. If this isn't suitable I'll take it down if you tell me how.

I have a children's book story that people I've shown to absolutely love. Unfortunately because of my circumstances I can't do illustrations. I really want to CTB by end of the month but if I can get an advance by a publisher, if I can get enough money to get the treatment I know I need and trying to get for six years, I feel I can keep trying. But I'm at my end for now.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I would love to share my story but after two of my friends stole my designs and passed as theirs and thrives stealing things from me, I'm a bit hesitant.
My mom says the authors of children's books needn't attempt illustrations when submitting manuscripts to publishers. In fact, my mom said it's considered amateurish to do so. Full disclosure, my mom is a published author, but not of children's books.

• Wow
Reactions: I'm exhausted, puppy9 and Circles
Stan

Stan

Factoid Hunter
Aug 29, 2019
I have seen people here share some amazing artwork that they have done. Maybe collaborate with one of them.

I

I'm exhausted

Jul 12, 2019
My mom says the authors of children's books needn't attempt illustrations when submitting manuscripts to publishers. In fact, my mom said it's considered amateurish to do so. Full disclosure, my mom is a published author, but not of children's books.
That's great to hear. I wasn't certain if i should go with self publishing like with magclud or Kindle in which case i would need illustrations. I've never published a book. I've googled how to do it but it's such a mixed review and so confusing. Could I PM you for more questions?
I have seen people here share some amazing artwork that they have done. Maybe collaborate with one of them.
That sounds like a good idea. I'll keep that in mind. Thank you.
What style did you want?
I wanted in a watercolor dpainting and kind of like in Peter rabbit style illustrations. I unfortunately do not have my art materials so i can not do it myself and i don't know if I'll actually like it so better off someone else do it.

Last edited:
azucaramargo

azucaramargo

Enlightened
Sep 16, 2018
I stand corrected. I guess publishers don't want authors of children's books to submit NOTES or INSTRUCtIONS to illustrators. Here's a link to one publishing site with their instructions for author/illustrators: https://www.flyawaybooks.com/submissions

• Love
Reactions: I'm exhausted
azucaramargo

azucaramargo

Enlightened
Sep 16, 2018
Thank you so much
Sorry to keep amending my stuff. I just want to be clear. If you ARE the author and illustrator of your own children's story, by all means, you can submit your illustrations and your copy. But, if you are an author only of a children's book, the publishers I guess don't want you sending your suggestions for what you think would make good illustrations. You can pm, me, please! I guess I've messed up my account, and i can't receive messages from people i havent messaged first. i will write you tomorrow.

• Love
Reactions: I'm exhausted
I

I'm exhausted

Jul 12, 2019
Sorry to keep amending my stuff. I just want to be clear. If you ARE the author and illustrator of your own children's story, by all means, you can submit your illustrations and your copy. But, if you are an author only of a children's book, the publishers I guess don't want you sending your suggestions for what you think would make good illustrations. You can pm, me, please! I guess I've messed up my account, and i can't receive messages from people i havent messaged first. i will write you tomorrow.
No, I really appreciate your help and kindness. I'll look forward to your message.