snailboy

snailboy

(๑ᵕ⌓ᵕ̤)
Mar 1, 2023
i like my therapist and ive been seeing her on and off for a couple years but i dread going into appointments. its not that i have nothing to work on or talk about but i can never get deeper than just surface level issues in my life. i honestly don't have the motivation to spill my guts and cry for an hour each week unless im absolutely forced to. my mom is making me go at the moment and even though i hate it i don't want to start a fight by refusing or cancelling my appointments myself. if anyone has suggestions for actually getting somewhere with therapy i'd appreciate it.

• Hugs
Reactions: whywere, Bastet, Message In A Bottle and 3 others
F

Faded_in_Dreams

Jun 7, 2023
I'm sorry for the pain you are carrying on and hope I could help you with it.
Liking someone doesn't always mean trusting them and we need a trusted one for spilling our guts,
Thats the fact about this forum too, we can talk anonymously so it's easier to trust and talk about our problems.
have ever tried another therapist?

• Hugs
Reactions: whywere
T

timf

Enlightened
Mar 26, 2020
I don't know what approach your therapist uses. Some follow a Rogerian method that heavily relies on feelings. If this is the case, you might find refuge and counter in a cool and analytical approach. If feelings are the result, you might say that you would prefer to deal with causes. Just because the therapist tells you to do something does not mean that is the path you have to follow. You might be able to negotiate an approach that is less unpleasant for you.

Reactions: Faded_in_Dreams
Anonymoususer1234

Anonymoususer1234

Experienced
Apr 13, 2023
You might want to try a different kind of therapy. Like art therapy or therapy with more of less of a talk-style approach. It might also be that you just aren't really clicking with your therapist and you need to find someone else who would work with better for you. I suggest researching different kinds of therapy and seeing if there are any that sound more appealing than whatever it is you're doing at the moment.

C

chloramine

Arcanist
Apr 18, 2022
You could try writing down what you want to say or talk about in advance and give it to your therapist beforehand. If the issue is that you don't want to at all then I agree that a different method of therapy or a new therapist might be best. If it's more that you would, but it's too much or there's a block preventing you then I'd try other means of communication first. Finding a new therapist is a pain (especially if you like your current one) and the one you have may not be able to switch what type of therapy they provide.

feels_like_rain

feels_like_rain

Goodbye to everything I thought I knew
Sep 29, 2021
Same. I tell mine a lot of things i don't tell anyone else, but i'm too embarassed to admit the things that are weighing on my mind the heaviest. We do click, i just feel like a freak if i was to admit certain things, and i'm afraid i would be too embarrassed to keeo going.
It was almost easier with my previous therapist, who was so dumb i could just sit there and talk and not actually have to work on my issues because he had no idea what to say half the time… lol