TheDog_

TheDog_

Feb 25, 2023
The sentiment that suicide is purely giving up and a completely selfish act is still very rampant and strong. I see it all the time. "Oh, I could never kill myself because that'll be selfish to my family and friends" "I don't know how people can give up like that" Stuff like this makes me wish bad things. The topic of suicide is still a dirty topic as much as western civilization loves to claim mental health and mental illness acceptable. It's only acceptable if you fit the common narrative

• Hugs
Reactions: silentcicada, myusername890, Praestat_Mori and 7 others
Mea Culpa

Mea Culpa

Mea Culpa, Mea Maxima Culpa, Kyrie Eleison
Sep 22, 2023
The ones that say things like that dont even realize how hard it is to actually go through with it. If it was the easy way out, I'm pretty sure suicide rates would sky rocket. Plus with it being so taboo to talk about, it makes people hide and feel isolated because they can't talk about how they feel out of fear of being locked away or ridiculed. It's ridiculous.

Reactions: myusername890, Praestat_Mori, pthnrdnojvsc and 1 other person
CeramicPundit

CeramicPundit

Generalissimo
Nov 26, 2023
Suicide is becoming less and less taboo in some countries. I think it's mostly the West that is having trouble with the suicide stigma. But Switzerland and places in Scandinavia have their doors wide open for assisted suicide, and even some Western nations like Canada are starting to open up MAID to those with depression and other mental illnesses soon(early 2024, I think?)

TheDog_

TheDog_

Feb 25, 2023
The ones that say things like that dont even realize how hard it is to actually go through with it. If it was the easy way out, I'm pretty sure suicide rates would sky rocket. Plus with it being so taboo to talk about, it makes people hide and feel isolated because they can't talk about how they feel out of fear of being locked away or ridiculed. It's ridiculous.
Yes. Even in support groups I could not express how I feel because it made people uncomfortable. I had comments stating that I was simply giving up because so and so struggles more and they aren't suicidal. Like ok LOL thanks

• Aww..
Reactions: Praestat_Mori, Eternal🌈Rainbow, Deleted member 65988 and 1 other person
D

Deleted member 65988

The sentiment that suicide is purely giving up and a completely selfish act is still very rampant and strong. I see it all the time. "Oh, I could never kill myself because that'll be selfish to my family and friends" "I don't know how people can give up like that" Stuff like this makes me wish bad things
It's very biased from the perspective that no matter how much we suffer, life is still inherently good and not worth giving up on. I think the fact that it's seen as "giving up" shows you that people still aren't interested in discussing suicide to an extent outside of emotionally driven reasoning such as "I could never kill myself due to who it'll hurt". This is why we can't openly share our thoughts irl which forces people to go into hiding and find a forum like this which is a safe haven.

Reactions: Praestat_Mori, pthnrdnojvsc and Eternal🌈Rainbow
TheDog_

TheDog_

Feb 25, 2023
It's very biased from the perspective that no matter how much we suffer, life is still inherently good and not worth giving up on. I think the fact that it's seen as "giving up" shows you that people still aren't interested in discussing suicide to an extent outside of emotionally driven reasoning such as "I could never kill myself due to who it'll hurt". This is why we can't openly share our thoughts irl which forces people to go into hiding and find a forum like this which is a safe haven.
The general population loves to romanticize suffering I dunno why. I guess it's a hard cope. But yeah, I don't feel that we are close to having genuine discussions about suicide. Death scares people too much, even in the terminally ill

Reactions: Praestat_Mori, Eternal🌈Rainbow and Deleted member 65988
P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
In any case a honorable suicide is preferable to any suffering that someone can't or don't want to bear anymore.
Suicide is becoming less and less taboo in some countries. I think it's mostly the West that is having trouble with the suicide stigma. But Switzerland and places in Scandinavia have their doors wide open for assisted suicide, and even some Western nations like Canada are starting to open up MAID to those with depression and other mental illnesses soon(early 2024, I think?)
That's a step in the right direction but they don't open up to other cases and to people who just want to cease existence bc of other circumstances they can't or don't want to bear any more. In fact (and that's my personal opinion) you already have to be "dead" to be accepted that's still too much and too long suffering.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eternal🌈Rainbow and CouldaHvBeenARock
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
I do as well, I hate how suicide isn't accepted as a valid option even know it very much is. Because after all we were forced into this existence and we never could have consented to being here, I don't understand why people should have to delay their inevitable fate if they don't want to. I cannot stand how pro-life people are incapable of minding their business and wish to control other people even know they just aren't them. It's horrible how this world is so anti-suicide despite it being filled with suffering with no limit as to how much one can suffer, allowing people the option of a peaceful exit would be very compassionate.