Throwawaysoul

Throwawaysoul

Mage
May 14, 2018
"NO PAIN, NO GAIN" manly grunts!!!

That expression, usually said by meat heads ad nauseam. Has kept me away from fitness in general my entire life.

I'm thankful not to be in physical pain, why would I want to have both crippling emotional pain and physical pain?
What exactly would I been gaining? I'm pretty sure I prefer emotional pain over physical pain any day.

Ooga booga! Grunt grunt. No pain, no gain!!!

• Yay!
  • Hugs
Reactions: hhmmmm, littlelungs, Rogue Proxy and 8 others
death137

death137

miserable
Jun 25, 2020
I used to tell that quote to myself during my pathetic self improvement campaign a year and some months ago. I used to walk 10-20 km and also starved myself for days. I tried to use that quote as an inspiration. But the pain was great and the gain was small. Nowadays I despise inspiration quotes in general.

Reactions: hhmmmm, settheory, BottomlessPit and 3 others
TheAmazingCriswell

TheAmazingCriswell

I predict...
Apr 28, 2021
It is a coping mechanism, plain and simple.
Many people experience considerable amounts of pain without any gain whatsoever, whereas others are very successful without going through any suffering at all.
It is an extension of the thought "everything happens for a reason". "Surely I will be rewarded for my suffering", but alas, you will not.
It is difficult to accept that you can do everything right and still fail, and it is just as difficult to accept that you can work hard without reaping any benefits.

Reactions: littlelungs, Rogue Proxy, one.way.out and 10 others
LakatosDiogenesz

LakatosDiogenesz

I can tie a noose with my eyes closed
Nov 21, 2020
It applies to building muscle but I can't name anything else where it would be true. In fact, the people who gain the most are often the ones with the least pain.

Reactions: one.way.out, taylor321, WhatDoesTheFoxSay? and 2 others
GenesAndEnvironment

GenesAndEnvironment

Autistic loser
Jan 26, 2021
If you're feeling pain in the gym you should leave and take a rest day. Especially if it's during deadlifts, haha.

• Yay!
Reactions: WorthlessTrash and Beachedwhale
Broken Buzz

Broken Buzz

Space Ranger
Apr 30, 2021
A prime example of toxic positivity. Few of us would ever turn to someone, fresh out of a multiple limb amputation post-accident, and say "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger"... It may indeed make them stronger, eventually, but it could also have the opposite effect and render them suicidally depressed.

We're all wired to deal with pain and tragedy in different ways, I wish the people who espoused inspirational quotes with religious dogmatism, would put down Rhonda Byrne's The Secret, and have a little more sympathy for those of us whose problems stretch beyond the help of positive thinking.

Reactions: settheory, one.way.out, it's_all_a_game and 2 others
W

WornOutLife

マット
Mar 22, 2020
Just one more pro-life expression which makes no sense!

I would love a normal person to be under the hell we are and see if someone telling them "no pain, no gain" could change their lives lol.

Nonsense!

Reactions: Professor K, WhatDoesTheFoxSay? and Throwawaysoul
eternalmelancholy

eternalmelancholy

waiting for the bus
Mar 24, 2021
It's true though. Creating something requires tremendous labor. That is why the rich offload it to the working class while they reap all the benefits. It is crazy to me that people are okay with this dynamic where they are constantly fucked over.

• Love
Reactions: it's_all_a_game, UseItOrLoseIt, demuic and 1 other person
motel rooms

motel rooms

Survivor of incest. Gay. Please don't PM me.
Apr 13, 2021
It's true when it comes to suicide. You can't gain freedom unless you're willing to go through the pain of struggling with SI until your last conscious second

Reactions: Professor K, one.way.out, UseItOrLoseIt and 2 others
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
I hate it too, most pain we experience is unnecessary. It is harmful to suggest that there is always some benefit from any pain we are experiencing. Emotional pain and trauma can send us into despair and we have the curse of being unable to forget anything we have been through. Physical chronic pain doesn't strengthen us but debilitates us. It is the same with emotional pain. Phrases like that invalidate the suffering someone is going through.

• Love
Reactions: unnormal9, Rogue Proxy, one.way.out and 1 other person
eternalmelancholy

eternalmelancholy

waiting for the bus
Mar 24, 2021
I hate it too, most pain we experience is unnecessary. It is harmful to suggest that there is always some benefit from any pain we are experiencing.

If people were honest with themselves and admitted that there is no deeper meaning to pain and suffering, they would have a mental breakdown. We all lie to ourselves to varying degrees to be able to function.

• Love
Reactions: one.way.out, it's_all_a_game and FuneralCry
newave3

newave3

I want out
Nov 21, 2020
It's true when it comes to suicide. You can't gain freedom unless you're willing to go through the pain of struggling with SI until your last conscious second
I had the exact same thought when I saw the title of the thread.

Reactions: motel rooms
CloudyNight

CloudyNight

Wake me up before you go go
Apr 15, 2023
Hm I like the saying but I understand why some might not I guess to get something you must always put something out there whether that is your emotions or just your physical body it's to get something you want you have to work for it but that's just how I see the saying if I break it down