FlyAwayHoney

FlyAwayHoney

To be or not to be
Nov 6, 2023
I'm a person who has been on both sides of the spectrum in terms of what society views as attractive. I've been awkward looking, to my facial features finally coming into their own. I've been back and forth with my weight my whole life as well.

And one thing that has always stood out to me, is how differently people treat you on both sides. It is crazy to witness the change that happens.

When I was overweight and unattractive, people treated me like I didn't exist. And I'm not just talking about romantically, I'm talking about in day to day life. People were short with me, and a lot less welcoming.

But being skinny and considered pretty, people are nicer to you all the sudden. People pay attention to you. You get away with things that you didn't before.

You would think it feels nice, but no, not really. I'm just sitting there thinking about how awful that is. I've always been the same person inside. But only one version of me is worth treating like a human apparently.

Reactions: haibane, Life_and_Death, losing hope and 2 others
H

Hollowman

Empty
Dec 14, 2021
It's just the way human nature is unfortunately. I saw a study where they were showing babies pictures of attractive and not so attractive people side by side. The majority of the time the attractive pics held the babies gaze and made them smile.

Reactions: FlyAwayHoney
FlyAwayHoney

FlyAwayHoney

To be or not to be
Nov 6, 2023
It's just the way human nature is unfortunately. I saw a study where they were showing babies pictures of attractive and not so attractive people side by side. The majority of the time the attractive pics held the babies gaze and made them smile.
I understand, i guess it just doesn't make it hurt less, ya know?

@siniy_cat

@siniy_cat

Nov 19, 2023
I have made the same observation, but I always found myself on the judging site. Of course I am not proud of it and I try to be conscious of it, so that it doesn't affect my judgement of that person to much.
Sometimes I get the feeling that truly ugly people have to be, to a certain extent at least, unaware of how they appear to other people, because the amount of uncontrollable disgust that people feel when they see someone ugly, has to be soulcrushing for that person, if they realize it. It really feels like a huge injustice, which is largely unadressed.