P

prezmyl

Aug 4, 2023
unlike a regular doctors in my country who are able, in case of some complicated disease like cancer, to give you some insight on the current updated state of knowledge/research in their field or give you his opinion on alternatives or provide some info about availability of experimental treatment, Psychiatrist and therapists seem not to have this kind of obligations or at least updated insights about their field.

From my experience, Psychiatrists usually provide you with the basic list of classic therapies and Therapists are usually too zoned in a whatever therapy style they have been trained in, up to the extent being narrow-minded like a cult.
Since during their trainings they usually experience some sort of self development and resolve some usually basic issues or mild at worst and then they probably feels gratitude and trust in that method and become some sort of member of that craft and putting then way too much credit to it. In case of client with some severe symptoms, in which those classic therapies are usually failing, they just go by with "that is how it is supposed to be, give it more years" since it is basically as (in)effective as any other classic therapies, thus in their terms it often gets boiled down to "all is about the bonding you have with a therapist, the type of therapy does not matter that much" like it is a only magic left for those suffering people and that magic very very rarely comes true for traumatized people.

And also for both professions is typical, even they do not know something for sure or almost not at all they resort to a role of authority that needs to know, which causes more confusion and damage than good. But this goes for most people if their job has some social status.

Given the fact I was being in extreme states of minds with a fucking limited cognition as hell, It took me years to search for those information about research and the newest approaches and trying to figure out what is the real level of knowledge of the professionals around.

e.g. in 2017 I found probably the first mentioning about, at that time, quite new therapy (SE). At that time it had been already two years since first trainings for therapist started in my region, in 2022 when I re-found it again, I still had to spell it for Psychiatrist and Therapist, whom I already asked about the therapy in 2017, but as described above no real interest, no real advice and I rally needed someone to assist me with it back then in 2017.

Did you also feel so fucking alone in it? meant in those times when you were still trying to find a help, if there is not the case any more

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: SexyIncél, heavyeyes, dialogos and 4 others
W

whywere

Visionary
Jun 26, 2020
YES, as far as what you described and the way you described it fits my experience to a T. I have mentioned to not only mental health BUT all medical in general something that I like read about on the net, as far as a new therapy or similar either available or close to being so, and not only did they not know anything about it, I generally got a lot of VERY negative crap from them as I was a "internet doctor" and I should keep my mouth shut.

Be it physical or mental health, it is MY BODY AND MIND, and I should/will be not only part of the discussion, but how I am treated. Anything to do with one's body should be a collaborative situation.

Walter

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: SexyIncél, Forever Sleep and prezmyl
L

letmegetout

‘People can be dead before they’ve even died’
Jan 23, 2023
I've experienced this with my mental health team. Despite years and YEARS of medication not working I still had to research alternative treatments like TMS to then find out my local team do it and have done it for at least a year and never thought to suggest it for me! It's ridiculous why are we treated like this. Like you said, cancer patients don't get treated the same way

• Hugs
Reactions: whywere
smokingfish99

smokingfish99

Jul 25, 2023
I've single handedly treated myself when its come to my physical health, and I've caught my countries top expert being wrong about how the medications I take work. Experts can be very narrow minded, and if you're not one of their 'special interests' then good luck:')

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: SexyIncél, whywere and Dead Already
dialogos

dialogos

Experienced
Jul 5, 2023
In my experience, Neurologists are more dependable than Psychiatrists when it comes to organic problems with the brain

• Informative
Reactions: SexyIncél
B

BornByGhosts

wants to overcome Sports Illustrated
Mar 3, 2023
sorry for any offense to anyone but i worked with medical professionals and a lot of them are sad people with unjustifiable god complex

you have to frame a suggestion as a question like "how does (new treatment) work for people like me?" or better yet try to lead them onto suggesting the new treatment for you. It's pathetic how we have to deal with such sensitive overbloated egos, but it is what it is.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: SexyIncél, whywere and prezmyl