N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
Here I copy parts of the wikipedia article.

"The Darwin Awards are a tongue-in-cheek honor that originated in Usenet newsgroup discussions around 1985. They recognize individuals who have supposedly contributed to human evolution by selecting themselves out of the gene pool by dying or becoming sterilized via their own actions.

The project became more formalized with the creation of a website in 1993, followed by a series of books starting in 2000 by Wendy Northcutt. The criterion for the awards states: "In the spirit of Charles Darwin, the Darwin Awards commemorate individuals who protect our gene pool by making the ultimate sacrifice of their own lives. Darwin Award winners eliminate themselves in an extraordinarily idiotic manner, thereby improving our species' chances of long-term survival."

Accidental self-sterilization also qualifies, but the site notes: "Of necessity, the award is usually bestowed posthumously." The candidate is disqualified, though, if "innocent bystanders" are killed in the process, as they might have contributed positively to the gene pool. The logical problem presented by award winners who may have already reproduced is not addressed in the selection process owing to the difficulty of ascertaining whether or not a person has children; the Darwin Award rules state that the presence of offspring does not disqualify a nominee"

First I will give the defence. They say it is black humor and should not be seen as too serious. Sorry I don't buy that. The society, the media who does not criticize this enough, the individuals who take part in this are responsible for it. I don't say it should be illegal. But this is the societal normalization of mockery. Such a behavior should be stigmatized. Many people say our societies would become too sensitive. I also question things like micro agressions etc. But this is blatant mockery of people who died a horrible death.

It is a hypocrisy to say suicide is a tragedy and must not happen, it must be avoided by any means necessary and then on the other hand making jokes of people who died a "stupid" death.

I have several problems with these awards. Let's say these people were really stupid. Did something stupid and killed themselves accidentally. Is this really funny? If someone has a low IQ this is not the fault of the person. I mean the person often cannot change that. We should not celebrate their death because ist allegedly enhanced the society. What the fuck.

Though I think many of the people who win those awards are not really stupid. It is human to do something stupid. Also very intelligent people do stupid things on a daily basis. These people are portrayed as greedy, ignorant or stupid. But this is not a good reason to make jokes about their cruel deaths. I mean every human is from time to time greedy. Just because the person got killed due to a behavior that might be considered as greedy this does not represent the person. This is just one example. We don't know the story behind the person. We barely know anything. And still these people pretend "yeah they deserved such a death because they were greedy, stupid etc."

This is so fucking arrogant. And in my opinion the people who have such a simplified understanding of reality are also not the brightest. But even more these people are often assholes. (in my opinion)

They don't have any empathy. One could say "yeah the person is dead. We cannot hurt the person anymore." But what is with the loved ones of these people. They have to deal with the fact that the whole world laughs about the cruel death of their brother, child, best friend etc.

The society and people who support such a system are hypocritical. Where are all the thousand newsarticle that call this hatred out?

I had the idea for this thread due to a memory about this award. A Polish man allegedly beheaded himself with a chainsaw for a bet. There are many people who make fun about him on the internet. The Darwin awards claim mentally ill, children or vulnerable groups would not be considered as potential winners. As if you knew anything about this guy. There is probably one superifical newspaper report as a source nothing more. When someone wants assisted suicide you need several assessments of psychiatrists in order to prove you are rational. Some say people who commit suicide cannot be rational.

But making fun about someone who chose such a cruel way to die is okay despite the fact we know almost NOTHING about him. This guy could have had daily severe suicial thoughts. Fantasize every single day to kill himself brutally. But because it sounds like story that sells well we ignore such possibilties. Honestly I doubt a person beheads himself only because he was drunk and it was a bet. I doubt this very much. Maybe I could be wrong in this case. But there are so many similar examples of these "award-winners". It is not unlikely that they make fun of people who gone through hell during their lifetime. But because it sounds funny or sells well it is presented an easy laugh. Moreover the people who organize these awards present themselves as morally superior. They are despicable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Astral Storm, rationaltake, Dead Horse and 3 others
Un-

Un-

I'm a failure. An absolute waste. A LOSEr.
Apr 6, 2021
Let's say these people were really stupid. Did something stupid and killed themselves accidentally. Is this really funny?
I shouldn't be doing this, I know. But.. Sigh. Why not?

Anyways. I didn't read your post entirely. So I'm probably assuming a lot of shit but I quoted that specific thing because I think many people who enjoy the Darwin Awards agree with that. It is funny. It's subjective. You can find it detestable, I can find it absolutely hilarious. It is what it is.

N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I shouldn't be doing this, I know. But.. Sigh. Why not?

Anyways. I didn't read your post entirely. So I'm probably assuming a lot of shit but I quoted that specific thing because I think many people who enjoy the Darwin Awards agree with that. It is funny. It's subjective. You can find it detestable, I can find it absolutely hilarious. It is what it is.
I did not want to offend anyone in this forum. Maybe my stance is controversial or hypermoralistic. Maybe I am hypocritical myself.

I just don't like the idea of schadenfreude when someone dies (in a cruel way). Especially if these people were not very evil people.

There are probably very different opinions on this topic. And I think I might be in the minority postition. But I personally feel like when I consider something as very injust I should talk openly about it. Though this does not necessarily mean I am objectively right.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: rationaltake, Dead Horse, Celerity and 2 others
Celerity

Celerity

shape without form, shade without colour
Jan 24, 2021
I'm with you. I think it's in poor taste, and I generally like dark humor. I guess most of my jokes rely on the hypothetical or large groups of people rather than individuals who died.

Reactions: rationaltake and Dead Horse
StarlightDreamer

StarlightDreamer

Infinity Weaver
Aug 2, 2022
Your argument swayed me. I'm also fond of dark humor, and dislike the "award" now.

Reactions: rationaltake
S

Someone123

Illuminated
Oct 19, 2021
I think the Darwin Awards are kind of funny- a kind of dark humor. For example, a person showing off for friends by kissing a rattlesnake and getting bitten- they tried to hold tha jaw closed but it didn't work. Of course if you takes them seriously then it is sad, but sometimes the idea of humor is to not take it seriously. If a person climbs into a running wood chipper and chips the jam loose thinking they can jump out in time. there is some dark humor in this. Dark humor is different- for any dark humor if you take it seriously it isn't funny any more. Christopher Reeves used to make jokes about being paralyzed and not being able to walk, etc.- and he said this humor helped him cope with this situation. I do think that dark humor can help people cope without difficult situations. I do think that if the darwin awar5ds are not taken seriously, and are seen in the spirit in which they are intended, that they are pretty funny- but of course not everyone has to agree.

Reactions: Un-
N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I think the Darwin Awards are kind of funny- a kind of dark humor. For example, a person showing off for friends by kissing a rattlesnake and getting bitten- they tried to hold tha jaw closed but it didn't work. Of course if you takes them seriously then it is sad, but sometimes the idea of humor is to not take it seriously. If a person climbs into a running wood chipper and chips the jam loose thinking they can jump out in time. there is some dark humor in this. Dark humor is different- for any dark humor if you take it seriously it isn't funny any more. Christopher Reeves used to make jokes about being paralyzed and not being able to walk, etc.- and he said this humor helped him cope with this situation. I do think that dark humor can help people cope without difficult situations. I do think that if the darwin awar5ds are not taken seriously, and are seen in the spirit in which they are intended, that they are pretty funny- but of course not everyone has to agree.
I agree dark humor can be a way to cope. But I think here the ethical situation is different.

Not the people who are affected by the accident make the jokes. I don't think the people would consent to the mockery.
The people who make fun about them are not really affected by the damage. I think the main part of this "fun" is schadenfreude. You can read this in Darwin award forums. These people are not sad because these people died and dark humor was a way to cope with this sadness. Here in this forum it is different because many people use dark humor to cope with their own personal hell. The people who do these awards often see themselves as superior because they claim to be smarter than the victims.

Moreover I really doubt the families and friends can cope better with this award. They would be the ones that could use dark humor to cope with the situation. I really doubt they like the award. The people who applaud to the awards do not seem to be empathetic to the winners. The main reason in this case is mockery. Dark humor is in this case not a defence because they are in most cases not in a similar situation.

S

Sardonia

Sep 7, 2022
Yeah people in general are kind of hypocritical. Some deaths it is OK to laugh at, while it would spark outrage to laugh at other ones.

TiredLostHope20

TiredLostHope20

SN Arrived!
Aug 24, 2022
Yeah people in general are kind of hypocritical. Some deaths it is OK to laugh at, while it would spark outrage to laugh at other ones.
That's the human species for you, always hypocrites of themselves.

Dead Horse

Dead Horse

Hopeless, but literally
Nov 14, 2018
I totally agree with everything you said. I'm not aware of that site although the name rings a bell. But even the fact that you can witness the death of another person (who probably didn't want to die) and find it funny instead of sad makes you an asshole IMHO.

A very good point you make is that people who hold such simplistic ideas about intelligence and the way evolution works aren't usually very smart themselves. One of the most unattractive traits in a person for me, is to think that they're smart when they aren't.

Acting foolishly under pressure or being impulsive etc are just a tiny fraction of what decides your level of intelligence by todays standards. And whoever believes that they are immune to acting foolishly at times is almost certainly wrong.

All in all, I'm not sure what bothers me the most, the mocking of unlucky dead people or the unjustified arrogance of their mockers.

Reactions: rationaltake and noname223
S

Someone123

Illuminated
Oct 19, 2021
The main reason in this case is mockery.
That's one way to look at it. Another way to look at it, for instance someone dying by trying to kiss a rattlesnake, is laughing at the absurdity of the human condition itself, that we are all vulnerable to one little slip up here or there that could send us to the afterlife. So a person could see it as just laughing at the absurdity of the human condition itself- I think this way of looking at it is much more consistent with the spirit of the books themselves. A lot of humor depends on the spirit in which it is intended, and I think mockery is not the spirit intended in these books- it is really much more like laughing at the absurdity of the human condition- like, we're all in the same boat, and the boat is sinking- good luck with that.

Reactions: rationaltake and Un-