Ravel

Ravel

tired
Dec 13, 2021
It's always irritating to hear the phrase 'life is a gift.' How can anyone believe in that? I don't understand how someone can be grateful for this life. You're born in a place you hate, which makes you feel miserable every day, a dysfunctional family, bad genetics, physical and mental illnesses that often incapacitate you in life, and with all that, people just expect you to find a way to improve and join this rat race called life. The government doesn't even provide financial help, and then it's too late, and the person takes their own life, becoming just another statistic. What a wonderful gift.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: WonderingSoul, jaxxon_sunn, corazon and 24 others
The anhedonic one

The anhedonic one

Dead inside
May 20, 2023
Yes, to be forced out of a vagina covered in blood, and then spend around 18 months completely helpless, while pissing and shitting yourself, and then have your childhood stolen by being imprisoned in school where you will probably be bullied, and then spend around half a century working until you die sounds like a great fucking idea to me.
Yeah life's a real fucking gift. NOT !

• Hugs
  • Yay!
Reactions: Yamillie, jaxxon_sunn, corazon and 14 others
Cryptonite

Cryptonite

In the state of shock of what happened
Apr 30, 2022
The hard truth is that life is extremely variable in terms of fairness. People who say this may truly live good lives and see it as a gift, while we were given this hellhole.

• Informative
  • Yay!
Reactions: HadItAll, lachrymost, Jolene79 and 10 others
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
I think that people who believe this are severely delusional, existence is a horrific mistake and a curse instead, it's just a way to cause existing beings to suffer so unnecessarily all for the sake of it, there should just be nothingness instead, to me only nothingness is acceptable as existence is undeniably so hellish and harmful. I wish that humans were aware enough to leave the non-existent alone in peace and not force them into this repulsive world, I always think it's preferable to not exist.

• Hugs
Reactions: heavyeyes, Sweet Tart, axxxu and 3 others
R

Roseate

Arcanist
Mar 24, 2021
I think that people who believe this are severely delusional, existence is a horrific mistake and a curse instead, it's just a way to cause existing beings to suffer so unnecessarily all for the sake of it, there should just be nothingness instead, to me only nothingness is acceptable as existence is undeniably so hellish and harmful. I wish that humans were aware enough to leave the non-existent alone in peace and not force them into this repulsive world, I always think it's preferable to not exist.
I think that may be their experience. You have to remember not everyone feels the way we do. Some of them sees the good only or have had a good life. A simple life. Or maybe have had hard life but chose to see the positive. But I do believe there are others that are completely delusional. Some people have kids knowing exactly how hard life is going to be for them but who cares, right? It's all about their happiness and it's unfair and not right but no one actually cares. They believe it's life. Life is about giving life no matter how screwed the world actually is because if they can do it then we all can too.

Reactions: Praestat_Mori
Not_A_Seagull

Not_A_Seagull

Jul 6, 2022
It's always irritating to hear the phrase 'life is a gift.' How can anyone believe in that? I don't understand how someone can be grateful for this life. You're born in a place you hate, which makes you feel miserable every day, a dysfunctional family, bad genetics, physical and mental illnesses that often incapacitate you in life, and with all that, people just expect you to find a way to improve and join this rat race called life. The government doesn't even provide financial help, and then it's too late, and the person takes their own life, becoming just another statistic. What a wonderful gift.
I honestly envy those people so much. They 100% had a good life

• Hugs
Reactions: heavyeyes, The anhedonic one, CTB Dream and 1 other person
locked*n*loaded

locked*n*loaded

Archangel
Apr 15, 2022
Some people have good lives. Some people don't. Maybe it's all just some kind of a "cosmic balancing act"?

charlotte_

charlotte_

Arcanist
Mar 12, 2023
The way people see life is quite subjective. Those who believe so have genuinely lived a good life, or at least, a life they feel satisfied with. Might sound hard to believe for those of us but there truly are people who were born with loving parents, community acceptance, ect, and even if they don't they were granted with luck at some point in their life. Those who don't just simply have the bad luck of being the scapegoat of society, of natural laws.

Reactions: ncmxm, Sweet Tart, The anhedonic one and 1 other person
m4rius

m4rius

Student
Dec 23, 2022
My mom kept repeating this nonsense just yesterday. "Life's a gift"

No matter how many points I'd raise, life is always a fucking gift somehow. It's a delusion.

I can't really blame her or anyone else for living with this delusion. It's a cope, that's why, even if they're not aware they're still coping and coping is all they can do...

Reactions: pthnrdnojvsc, heavyeyes, Sweet Tart and 2 others
Y

yi_sisi

May 23, 2023
Some people just never had much of a problem. Envy them sooo much

Reactions: heavyeyes and The anhedonic one
nuke family

nuke family

yeah
Feb 15, 2023
i disagree kinda. i really respect people who belive life is a gift because they can find hippieness on this earth somehow, even though everything is kinda against them. i know what it feels like to like life, its a great feeling i cant get anymore sadly and i have no idea why. everyone who is happy usually has some purpose or something to distract them from all the horrible stuff in this world, like nature or family or something. unfortunately i cant seem to find mine and probably wont. But at the same time i dont think chasing after it is a good thing, it will come to you if you really want to live, its all about mindset i guess.

• Hugs
Reactions: ncmxm, Sweet Tart and The anhedonic one
day

day

Global Mod
Jun 24, 2023
Life cannot be a gift it is simply to cruel. The people in this world are seemingly made to suffer. No amount of money, love, success, or passion can ever outweigh the bad thing in life. Some people deal with it but personally I just wish I never had to. To me a life worth living or being thankful for simply does not exist and has not for a very long time.

• Love
Reactions: heavyeyes, pthnrdnojvsc, The anhedonic one and 1 other person
BlazingBob

BlazingBob

I'm still here b/c of my dogs
Oct 28, 2021
If life is a gift why can't I return it or exchange it for a different one? Life is no gift. It's a prison. I'm 50 and have never procreated.

Reactions: blacksand, lachrymost, NoWayOut015 and 4 others
Jezzibell

Jezzibell

On my way out. Yayyyyy
Apr 21, 2023
Not sure why this would bother you. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and beliefs. They may not have had the bad mental health or painful life experiences. The point is - respect other people's point of view.

• Yay!
Reactions: flyingrabbitt and OceanBlue
delusionalgirl

delusionalgirl

I have my ticket. Awaiting my journey
Jun 17, 2023
Someone said this to me and sometimes my brain to mouth filter doesn't work well. I told them I plan to return the gift to sender shortly. Honestly could not help it. They can view their lives as gifts but for some of us it truly isn't.

Reactions: ncmxm and The anhedonic one
OceanBlue

OceanBlue

Feminist
Jun 13, 2021
Any rational being would come to a conclusion that life is not a gift after reading one newspaper.
Your well-being depends on luck, and even if your life is fairly decent, you should be able to recognize that others suffer in unfair ways.
Saying 'life is a gift' is disrespectful to victims of life - how many kids were tortured, how many people perished in natural disasters.
Life is neverending horrors and the 'good' things are laughable in comparison.

• Love
Reactions: lachrymost, ncmxm, heavyeyes and 3 others
Venus13

Venus13

Experienced
Oct 2, 2022
The ones who say life's a gift don't usually have all of those afflictions you listed. They're having a decent time and they're not deeply reflecting on suffering. They usually surround themselves by others having a decent time. Or they just see a lot of beauty, I don't know. It's exciting, they're not depressed. Some of them have a sense of meaning or purpose that you'd have to ask them about and see why it exists in them. Our blindness to their side is reflected in their blindness to our side. Then nobody is seeing outside their own perspective.

I'm disturbed by a lot of things but conscious beings feeling okay and not being heavily afflicted doesn't disturb me. Sometimes though when they foolishly bring new people into the mix. I think the sentiment is irritating mostly because their opinion reigns supreme and we aren't allowed a peaceful exit with this idea permeating our laws on suicide.

RasinBoxECT

RasinBoxECT

idk what I'm doing
Jun 26, 2023
If life is a gift then the world we have been born into is a curse. I can see the potential argument that consciousness and freedom of thought can be seen as an amazing thing. The problem is that the humans before us created a living nightmare of a world that we have no choice but to participate in.

Reactions: The anhedonic one
MrDarkness

MrDarkness

Left sasu, to improve my life
Jun 18, 2023
I use to say life is a gift, but my belief has to change to say it's a gamble, either your going to be born into a great life, good looks etc, or your going to be born into a shit life constantly getting abused, life is a gamble some days could be amazing and some days could be so fucking bad we want to die

Reactions: The anhedonic one
LaVieEnRose

LaVieEnRose

Angelic
Jul 23, 2022
You're born in a place you hate, which makes you feel miserable every day, a dysfunctional family, bad genetics, physical and mental illnesses that often incapacitate you in life
Clearly those things don't happen to everyone....

You've had a painful life that disposes you towards viewing it as a curse. Other people have had happier lives which disposes them towards viewing it as a blessing. That's fine. What's important is to recognize that we all have different life experiences and to try to remain open-minded and willing to try to understand where the other person is coming from. Accusing people of being delusional and mistaken about their own experiences is just a surefire way to shut down any meaningful dialogue and sours one another from further engagement. This applies to both sides, but we're the ones who have the burden of being a minority because people are naturally attached to life even if they have to deal with those things you mentioned. That's the true empirical reality.

ncmxm

ncmxm

Experienced
Jun 9, 2021
i disagree kinda. i really respect people who belive life is a gift because they can find hippieness on this earth somehow, even though everything is kinda against them. i know what it feels like to like life, its a great feeling i cant get anymore sadly and i have no idea why. everyone who is happy usually has some purpose or something to distract them from all the horrible stuff in this world, like nature or family or something. unfortunately i cant seem to find mine and probably wont. But at the same time i dont think chasing after it is a good thing, it will come to you if you really want to live, its all about mindset i guess.
What does it feel like to like life? Did you experience this feeling for long periods of time in the past?
I don't think I've ever felt like this or at least not for long

(If you don't feel like replying of course it's ok)

NeverReallyHere

NeverReallyHere

Mar 15, 2021
Well, even if life is a "gift," people don't truly treat it as such. A gift is something which you're free to keep or get rid of whenever you want. If it isn't then it's not a gift, it's a burden which has been foisted on you against your will.

Reactions: The anhedonic one, Deleted member 31858 and lachrymost
lachrymost

lachrymost

finger on the eject button
Oct 4, 2022
Being a decaying flesh puppet flapping my meat at other decaying flesh puppets is not my idea of a gift, but whatever.

Reactions: The anhedonic one and pthnrdnojvsc
flyingrabbitt

flyingrabbitt

Jun 28, 2023
I view life as a gift and I sure as hell haven't had a good life but to me I have one shot at the whole living thing and I want to be happy someday even if I went through horrible things. I'm currently learning to love and trust others which isn't easy but I like the feeling of it. I think nature is beautiful and it makes me happy, animals make me happy, I think there's a lot to love and appreciate in the world. I don't think too hard about the bad happening in the world like the different wars and such because people having such a lack of respect towards innocent people are awful, people shouldn't have to live in those places and have their lives treated like nothing.

J

josephk

Jun 19, 2023
It hasn't been a gift to me. But I imagine there are people out there that have had worse lives than mine who consider it to still be a gift. I think it comes down to temperament. I also think that alot of people don't think life is worth it but to admit that would just be too much for them to bear

L

lalaland2345

Jun 28, 2023
Well as much as I've suffered in my life, it's amazing to look back and see what my family and I have gone through and where we're headed. My parents came from another country - my dad came here first, lived in a strangers home and worked insane hours for shit pay, to get my mom and I over to this country. From there, we struggled and lived in near poverty, but also had shelter, food and water . We now own our own home , and I've been able to finish college ( nothing was paid for - I have loans to pay back, etc. , I applied for many scholarships that I was awarded and was top of my class so received some financial help). They're looking to move to another state as we cannot afford where we live now , but being able to watch my family grow and experience life has been a blessing.

Seeing myself change and grow has also been a blessing.

i do know that I've not gone through the same struggles as others have and vice versa, so do understand that some have truly been through hell and back, but somehow those people tend to be the strongest and happiest once they've escaped that hell. They're able to see their life's progression and value every good thing in a way others can't.

Konnsz

Konnsz

At the very end, you can only trust yourself.
Jan 2, 2023
Some of them says Life is a gift to cope

Some of them says Life is a gift to try and make us change our perspective.

but when they say it, they are usually saying it for themselves, They don't want the burden of "causing" a suicide (even if we are the ones choosing to cease to exist)

and if they say it, they are saying it's a gift because of their experiences, therefore, ignoring/invalidating our experiences(Like always)

whatever the reason is, it's full of sht.

blacksand

blacksand

Experienced
May 2, 2023
it really is more like a curse. Even ending this shit is hard because of survival instinct. There have been a few times where I was truly happy and wished I could have just kept replaying that era like a great episode of a tv show but time just keeps moving and the good times quickly turn to memories that cause crushing nostalgia. Wish I'd never left the unborn state to be honest.