N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I expect they will make a follow-up story concerning this forum. I expect they publish it roundabout one year after the first reporting (December 2021). I think some people demanded that from the NYT because they thought the story backfired and caused more attention to this forum. So I expect it in December. I could imagine it has the purpose to show (pretend?) they really care about this issue and not just making easy money by a dramatic story.

I think not so much has changed but I am not sure. Is there more traffic since? There were times after the publication with insane amount of guests. In this sense the story backfired for sure.

Other goals of the publication was more awareness about the danger of SN. I don't know exactly the situation in the US but I think in general in many countries the access to it got way more difficult.

Then there is goal to change section 230. I am also no expert in this. But I think Republicans and Democracts have diametrical views on how to change the law. But I think there is more pressure on the politicians to change the laws.

Another goal was to attack the founders of this forum. Both have resigned. But I think it is not exactly known what happened to them.

I think despite the fact that many of these points go into the direction which was intended by the NYT I think the story rather backfired when we consider their perspective. I am pretty sure this forum got huge attention and many many people know now more about the lethality of SN. I think most press condex don't like reporting in this way about suicide. Many reports about this forum were not this explicit, They wantd to avoid what the NYT story had caused.

Now I could elaborate about whether press ethical codex are really good the way they are. But maybe this does not lead to anything. Personally I can say I feel way better since I have found this forum. It gives me a feeling of communion, a place for social interaction where I can talk about my severe, longterm suicidality without taboos and I don't feel as lonely as before. I just suffer a lot daily, I have to deal with a lot of suicidal thoughts, OCD etc.
It comforts me not being alone with all my sorrows and anxieties. The loneliness was soul-crushing. I cannot imagine a life without this forum anymore.
It helped me to increase my life quality and by doing that I could better cope with my suicidaility. It is like a valve writing here. I have less of an urge to act on my thoughts. Moreover I feel taken seriously. When I talked with my therapists about assisted suicide they said there is absolutely no debate about that. I felt treated like a child or insane. I need a way out if life turns demonic, hellish or nightmarish again. Knowing there is a possible way out gives me strength to go on with life. If I there was not such a possible exit I would be even way more anxious about the future.
And I am already anxious like fuck. Daily. Like 24/7.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: lionetta12
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
I've never really had any interest in reading the pro life news stories about the forum. I don't really care what they say. I think that when the NYT article came out a lot of people here seemed to be fixated on it.
To me, a lot of pro lifers are delusional. Taking away methods will not reduce suicide at all, people will just resort to risky methods instead and there's nothing wrong with someone deciding to leave this world anyway, it's a personal choice and a human right. I think that it's best to not read anything pro life, it will only make us suffer more. No matter what, they are wrong. It would be different if something happened to the journalists to make them suicidal and then they would want a peaceful exit.

Reactions: littlelungs