Darkover

Darkover

Angelic
Jul 29, 2021
Why do people see life as inherently worth living? I don't think life is worth the effort, I don't like it at all. No goals in life are really worth the trouble and effort for me. And yet, everybody always says that no matter what, being alive is better than not existing at all, i think my life would of been better if i never existed at all this shit lifetime isn't worth it

One of the number one things I hear when suicide is mentioned is that life is worth living. Yes, it is for you. It is for a lot of people. But not for me. I have no friends, my family is shitty. I am so fucking lonely and I can't get a job even. I do nothing all day every day and there is nothing to look forward to in my life. There is no joy in my life or fun moments to keep me holding on or to make me hopeful. I'd rather not live at all than live a life like this, I'm so scared to fall asleep at night because I don't want to wake up and live the same day over and over. I don't want to hear that "life is worth living" from someone who has a great life. Not every life is of the same quality and it just makes me feel worse when people with an enjoyable life tell me that because it reminds me that I'm worse off and that they don't understand.

• Hugs
Reactions: Immensevoid, suicidalgirl96, Livingvsdying25 and 12 others
R_N

R_N

-Memento Mori-
Dec 3, 2019
Life is only bearable if you are enjoying it. But that has to come to an end one day either by death or worse.

You have to ignore harsh reality around you even if you are fine yourself for the moment. Others will suffer regardless of how you feel about it.

Reactions: WAITING TO DIE
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
I don't believe it is under any circumstances personally. It's such a disgusting insensitive view that people should continue suffering no matter what, I despise how we exist in this society where there is a lack of acceptance towards the fact that not everyone even wants to exist.

I see nothing desirable or appealing about this torturous process of slowly dying, it's very meaningless and harmful. I hate the people who try and push their repulsive anti-suicide delusions onto other people, like if they want to exist fair enough but they need to realise that not everyone is them.

• Love
Reactions: Immensevoid, AncientSorrow, suicidalgirl96 and 4 others
L

leavingsoon99

I'm at peace... Finally.
Mar 16, 2023
I'm looking around at everything. Quite honestly (and a lot of you will disagree), I don't think life is going to be worth living for ANYONE here soon. Look at everything. It's a MESS!!! Anyone who's clinging to the "it gets better" philosophy at this point is just outright delusional. But, they're free to be so. Not that I'm campaigning for ctb for all, but I don't think this life is going to be worth living here in a few years... if not sooner. I'm just reading the tea leaves as best I can. This world seems like an office that's only 1/4th occupied and is waiting on being closed down for good.

Reactions: Hollowman, ThisUnrest, WAITING TO DIE and 2 others
Jealous Blackheart

Jealous Blackheart

A Well Read Demon
Aug 25, 2023
It isn't. Not to me. I value quality of life over life itself at an infinite margin so I agree with you.

The reason they say that life in inherently worth it is because it is by their worldview. Your fundamental beliefs and opinions about life would be more positive if that was your entire life experience. I've had friends that reached adulthood without ever experiencing depression by their own admission. They just don't understand it. Their words, not mine. I have never experienced a coffee buzz in my life. And all my life I thought the world was under a placebo or lying but the reality is that my experience is just different from most people's. It doesn't invalidate theirs, just like them not being able to understand you invalidates yours.

To go further, and to give them more credit than some of them deserve, they also usually subscribe to the, "someone somewhere has it worse" logic. Which is true. Someone somewhere does it have it worse. It is true that by simply being on this site you are one of the most privileged people to ever exist in human history. In the context of the entire lineage that existed before you for you to exist as you are now, under the most dreadful conditions known to man, they all survived long enough to pass their genes forward through time. They overcame and survived. For you to exist. It's like being in a relay race, and when you are passed the baton you decide to simply stop running because your opponents are ahead of you. You don't bother passing it on to the next person to try to finish or at least see how far you can go.

Like I said, I may be giving them too much credit. Someone somewhere does it have it worse, but what is the threshold for being allowed to mourn what your life could have been? It is still a stance that lacks empathy despite being technically accurate. My two cents.

• Love
Reactions: Nanidash, WAITING TO DIE and leavingsoon99
D

Deleted member 65988

There is no joy in my life or fun moments to keep me holding on or to make me hopeful. I'd rather not live at all than live a life like this, I'm so scared to fall asleep at night because I don't want to wake up and live the same day over and over
For me, it's about the constant disappointments I've faced and the hurtful things that have happened to add on top of that, also how much worse can get, nevermind the absolute lack of things to keep me holding on much like you. I can't help but feel a sense of injustice on the things that have happened even though lamenting it all will do absolutely nothing.

WAITING TO DIE

WAITING TO DIE

TORMENTED
Sep 30, 2023
The normies never take our suffering into account and only view things from their perspective.
If they had to live the lives of many of the people on this forum just for one day, they would soon understand that life is most definitely not worth living for some of us.

Reactions: Hollowman, Jealous Blackheart and ThisUnrest
D

Deleted member 65988

Someone somewhere does it have it worse, but what is the threshold for being allowed to mourn what your life could have been? It is still a stance that lacks empathy despite being technically accurate. My two cents.
Someone may have it worse but is that a reason to accept that life for you is good enough just because you aren't in a worse off position where someone is. I mean, we see it with successful people all the time, they have it better than many people ever have and still ctb.

Reactions: Hollowman and WAITING TO DIE
Jealous Blackheart

Jealous Blackheart

A Well Read Demon
Aug 25, 2023
Someone may have it worse but is that a reason to accept that life for you is good enough just because you aren't in a worse off position where someone is. I mean, we see it with successful people all the time, they have it better than many people ever have and still ctb.
That's the question isn't it?

I believe self determination is a right, not a privilege. I don't think I need to suffer to choose to not live anymore. I could have had a great life and I simply choose for my story to end because I am satisfied, the same way I can leave food on my plate because I am full. Why force myself to keep eating, even if the meal was wonderful, if I know I've had enough? And no amount of guilt tripping about starving children elsewhere is going to make me want to gorge myself to gluttony.

Reactions: Hollowman, Deleted member 65988 and WAITING TO DIE
UtopianSoliloquies

UtopianSoliloquies

Act 3 Scene 1
Jan 21, 2023
In the end, I just don't think there is a rational way to quantify suffering and happiness on the same scale and evaluate their aggregate as if it was a vector force or something. Like any other premise, it is up to the individual to judge the idea that life is worth living as sound or unsound. However, just like any other premise that is considered sound by a vast majority of the population, people will forget that this proposition is an assumption and not a fact.

Water-Lily

Water-Lily

Enlightened
Dec 26, 2020
Why do people see life as inherently worth living? I don't think life is worth the effort, I don't like it at all. No goals in life are really worth the trouble and effort for me. And yet, everybody always says that no matter what, being alive is better than not existing at all, i think my life would of been better if i never existed at all this shit lifetime isn't worth it

One of the number one things I hear when suicide is mentioned is that life is worth living. Yes, it is for you. It is for a lot of people. But not for me. I have no friends, my family is shitty. I am so fucking lonely and I can't get a job even. I do nothing all day every day and there is nothing to look forward to in my life. There is no joy in my life or fun moments to keep me holding on or to make me hopeful. I'd rather not live at all than live a life like this, I'm so scared to fall asleep at night because I don't want to wake up and live the same day over and over. I don't want to hear that "life is worth living" from someone who has a great life. Not every life is of the same quality and it just makes me feel worse when people with an enjoyable life tell me that because it reminds me that I'm worse off and that they don't understand.
I agree. Some people are in agonizing pain. Be it chronic health related, mental health related, trauma, etc. And though there are many treatments out there that can help, many just suffer and its not right

Reactions: Hollowman and WAITING TO DIE
D

Deleted member 65988

And no amount of guilt tripping about starving children elsewhere is going to make me want to gorge myself to gluttony.
I couldn't possibly use that a justification to engage in gluttony just because I should be grateful that I'm not s starving child in a war torn country or just a poorly run one. Why should I be happy at the expense realizing that my misery isn't on a level in comparison to people who have it worse.
I could have had a great life and I simply choose for my story to end because I am satisfied, the same way I can leave food on my plate because I am full. Why force myself to keep eating, even if the meal was wonderful,
Thats one way to put it so well.

Reactions: leavingsoon99
L

leavingsoon99

I'm at peace... Finally.
Mar 16, 2023

Life's worth is very subjective. It's all in the eye and experiences of the beholder. I mean, Robin Williams seemed to have most of everything anyone could want. He was beloved. He was rich. He had a wife and children. That didn't stop him from ctb. Anthony Bourdain was beloved by all and was very financially fortunate and successful. Yet, look what happened. I've seen people who are struggling financially, but have love and family and they persevere through life. And while the mental health narrative may factor into a lot of suicides, the fact that life holds different value for different people is kind of ignored. It hurts the societal sensibilities to view life that way. The majority of people want to attach an abstract, arbitrary value to life that simply doesn't exist. Plus, death just scares humans.

F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
For me, I think what gets to me more is this obligation that is put on us to make life work. I don't personally have a problem with someone else loving their life. It's when they insist we need to as well. We just need to try harder, re-frame how we think, try and look on the positive side etc. Because we have to live... yeah but we really don't! What in life is actually compulsory? Plenty of shitty things become compulsory- or, at least- the lesser of the evils when we do have to live. That's why we want out! We're sick of doing stuff we don't actually want to do- only because not doing it will make life even worse! That's really not much to strive for. I guess I just don't like being told what to do in life.

• Love
Reactions: leavingsoon99