worldexploder

worldexploder

Visionary
Sep 19, 2018
My first experience with losing a close relative came in 1995 when I was 12 years old. My grandpa, who was like a father to me, died after battling 14 years of asbestos poisoning. The last 2 yeas of his life were horrible. He would be in his room, begging for death as he was gasping for air - waiting for the EMTs to arrive. I'd go off into the bedroom and ball my eyes out. When he finally died, I didn't feel much of anything. I didn't mourn, cry, or feel sad. I felt as if he was in heaven happy with Jesus. Of course my family was shocked at how "well" I took it.

The second loved one I lost was my grandma who died in 2010. The hardest part was seeing her reduced to diapers and unable to walk. It was really traumatic. When she died, I had the same reaction as I did in 1995 (expect I saw things from an atheist perspective). My slogan was - she's in the dirt so can't be hurt!

I guess I always sorta saw death as a liberation. Freedom from suffering! Maybe that's why I never shed a tear over a stiff. Their war is over. Our battles are still raging.

Reactions: NoHope, ScaredOfLife, NoDream and 4 others
B

Ben

Warlock
Sep 12, 2018
My first experience with losing a close relative came in 1995 when I was 12 years old. My grandpa, who was like a father to me, died after battling 14 years of asbestos poisoning. The last 2 yeas of his life were horrible. He would be in his room, begging for death as he was gasping for air - waiting for the EMTs to arrive. I'd go off into the bedroom and ball my eyes out. When he finally died, I didn't feel much of anything. I didn't mourn, cry, or feel sad. I felt as if he was in heaven happy with Jesus. Of course my family was shocked at how "well" I took it.

The second loved one I lost was my grandma who died in 2010. The hardest part was seeing her reduced to diapers and unable to walk. It was really traumatic. When she died, I had the same reaction as I did in 1995 (expect I saw things from an atheist perspective). My slogan was - she's in the dirt so can't be hurt!

I guess I always sorta saw death as a liberation. Freedom from suffering! Maybe that's why I never shed a tear over a stiff. Their war is over. Our battles are still raging.

I mourn the dead who enjoyed their time on earth, and feared death the way the way we fear life.

There is nothing to be sad about when a tortured soul is relived from their constant suffering.

However, I do mourn for the souls who already managed to inner happiness in life, or a reason to wake up with a smile, and had that taken away from them without consent.

They lost their choice to live, which I consider to be just as tragic as us losing our choice to die.

Reactions: ScaredOfLife, betteroffdead, Miss clefable and 3 others