snailboy

snailboy

(๑ᵕ⌓ᵕ̤)
Mar 1, 2023
its so addicting. i've stolen blades, spent tons of money on medical supplies, scared and let down my family and i still can't stop. its thrilling and relaxing at the same time and the only thing that truly grounds me. i also find my scars genuinely beautiful which doesn't help. i can't even disgust myself.

• Hugs
Reactions: watchdog and AngelicPsychedelic
dumpstermagic

dumpstermagic

Lone Hobo
Mar 6, 2023
did you know that neglected parrots rip out their feathers? it's the same thing as when we hurt ourselves. some times it's the only way to get the feelings.

Reactions: snailboy
aubrey!

aubrey!

internet angel
Mar 11, 2023
imho no reason to stop once you've started. once you have scars, it's not like they'll go away. you'll never have to stop hiding them in public, so why even consider stopping.

i dont see the problem with spending money. hobbies are expensive.

• Hugs
Reactions: stoopid
AngelicPsychedelic

AngelicPsychedelic

<3
Mar 9, 2023
I feel exactly the same! Be careful tho <3

wastingpotential

wastingpotential

drowning, always.
Feb 8, 2023
agree and same. i've been at it since a young age and it's always just been something i fall back on or am right away aware that it's an option i could turn to

• Love
Reactions: Roseate
LaVieEnRose

LaVieEnRose

Angelic
Jul 23, 2022
If you truly like self-harm and if it truly helps you in a way few other things can, it doesn't necessarily have to be this horrible terrible thing it's made out to be. But you've gotta work on the peripheral habits like stealing and overspending.

AllMyDreams

AllMyDreams

Experienced
Dec 12, 2021
The fact that you're posting this shows at least part of you wants to stop, which is encouraging. In the short term you could try looking at ways to self-harm that aren't expensive and are safer, here's a list of ideas: https://www.healthline.com/health/mental-health/self-harm-alternatives#harm-minimization. Long-term it really has to be about getting therapy, and rationalizing why you feel the need to do this. Because it sounds like hurting yourself isn't enough for you, and that you have to give yourself lasting damage to be satisfied.

It could be because you deep down hate yourself, and you subconsciously want to destroy yourself as much as possible so that you don't amount to anything good. I used to be like that and would purposefully screw up my life when I was depressed (rage at friends and cut them off, sleep around compulsively with strangers, fail my classes, eat as badly as possible) so I had no chance of recovering. But the truth is you are inherently worth a lot as a human and by extension, so is your body. Even the fact that you don't seem interested in harming others, and that you're concerned about your parents, shows that you care for others and that's a wonderful thing. Try and think about why you have less self-worth, what the root of it is. Possibly it's because other people have made you feel inferior, and you're relying too much on others for your own happiness/self-worth.

Or if you feel so numb in life that only this can make you feel something, try and intensely reflect upon why that is. Why does self-harm work for you, but not boxing, or writing angry letters, or violent video games? Is there anything else you could replace it with? This could be a fun exercise because you can really learn about what makes you tick and what works for you more in general. For me I felt the urge to self-destruct because other people would see that I was suffering and feel guilty. I realized that was counterproductive though because people either stopped caring about me, or (in the case of my family) I made them suffer. I didn't want either of those things, and I realized that it made no sense to self-harm when I can take out anger in healthier ways. It wasn't easy to break the habit but it all started with realizing how irrational it was.

It will be a process, but I believe with the right help you can stop eventually. You're still young and the brain can adapt a lot before your mid-20s.

Last edited:
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
I've never self harmed, it's just not my thing but I know that it's a coping mechanism for others so I understand why one wouldn't wish to give up on it, if it's what offers them some kind of relief from the endless suffering this life brings.

R

Roseate

Arcanist
Mar 24, 2021
agree and same. i've been at it since a young age and it's always just been something i fall back on or am right away aware that it's an option i could turn to
Same here. I am not addicted but I started at a young age and it's not my first option anymore, but I know it's an option and when things get too much, it's the one thing I turn to. I could go months without it but after a while, I'll go back. Always.

• Hugs
Reactions: wastingpotential
shinohara

shinohara

Feb 26, 2023
I probably don't do it as much as you but I definitely understand the feeling, and the only real reason I try not to do it too often is because I don't think I could handle my family seeing the scars.
also I never understood the repulsion people have for scars

stermc

stermc

libertas quae sera tamen
Nov 24, 2022
I have been talking to my therapist a lot about this. I realized recently that I have never self harmed aiming to punish myself, but simply to get out of my own mind (focusing on physical pain). Now, it has come to a point where I only do it for the feeling I get after the physical pain, which is a mix of pleasure and relief. Basically, my goal when doing it is to feel alive - or to just feel anything, since apathy has been ruling my life for a long time because of my meds.
So I think there are other things (that are not self destructive) that could give me the same kind of feeling (adrenaline, endorphin), but I honestly see no point in not sh under these circumstances (in my case, I don't think it is something that makes me feel bad).
So I guess it's really interesting to try to understand what you are looking for when you self harm and if it does more good or bad to you.

Reactions: LaVieEnRose