Venessolotic

Venessolotic

Antinatalism + Promortalism
Jan 19, 2024
I've read many posts on here of people complaining about how diffucult it is for them to overcome their SI, and I dont't find them relatable at all.

I have zero will to live and I'm 100% certain of my decision to die. Is anyone else here like this?

Last edited:
Reactions: Intoxicated
penguinl0v3s

penguinl0v3s

Wait for Me ๐Ÿ’™
Nov 1, 2023
SI can be reflexive. You can be knocked unconscious while hanging, and then wake up out of the noose because your body struggled out of it instinctively.

Reactions: rozeske
NoAIarmsNoSurprises

NoAIarmsNoSurprises

soon this will all just be a bad memory
Jan 18, 2024
Si isn't about certainty. It can take on many forms, whether it be biding for more time or your body's natural response to the attempt. It's naive to say that you don't have SI, if it weren't so difficult to overcome many of us wouldn't still be here. Even I have to take certain precautions to try to prepare myself for what is to come.

Last edited:
Reactions: Unknown21, Catch-22 and rozeske
R

rozeske

Maybe I am the problem
Dec 2, 2023
SI is usually not about our certainity to die. It's about the human body's biological instinct to keep on living. SI is usually about the minds fear of the unknown or fear of the "What comes after death"
One could manage for an attempt but would soon face the obstacles of overcoming SI at the last minute.

Reactions: Tokugawa_Yoshinobu, leavingthesoultrap and NoAIarmsNoSurprises
ijustwishtodie

ijustwishtodie

death will be my ultimate bliss
Oct 29, 2023
That isn't what SI is. Survival instinct is where your body creates a response to keep you living, sort of how your hand would involuntarily move away from a fire to protect the body from damage but SI is probably more intense than this. SI will go against your desires to be dead when you actually do a suicide attempt. I wish to be dead so much and I got no will to live but I still have SI

Reactions: Catch-22, NoAIarmsNoSurprises, rozeske and 1 other person
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
Have you actually attempted? It's at that point it tends to show up. I'm hoping I won't have it. I bought the things necessary to CTB pretty much as calmly as I would buying groceries. Using them I have a horrible feeling will be a whole other matter. Still- you have to wonder if some people have stronger SI than others and whether it is just an instinctual reaction to danger or, connected to some conscious doubts about dying.

Reactions: NoAIarmsNoSurprises, UKscotty and rozeske
mortuarymary

mortuarymary

Enlightened
Jan 17, 2024
SI causes panic and that's when there is failures.
i did the OD with the bag over my head a long time ago and I ripped it off then puked up my tablets and called 999. I think everyone got SI

Reactions: Tokugawa_Yoshinobu and rozeske
U

UKscotty

Doesn't read PMs
May 20, 2021
If you had no SI you would be dead.

People often assume they hate life and want death, until its time to tie the literal or figurative noose. That's when SI shows up. It presents its self in sneaky ways. Oh life will get better, what about this, what about that, why don't we wait a day etc etc

Only those who have passed truly have no SI.

Reactions: divinemistress36, NoAIarmsNoSurprises, mortuarymary and 1 other person
Tears in Rain

Tears in Rain

Dec 12, 2023
S.I. doesn't hit you until you approach the bus. You're 100% certain that you're going to get on the bus, but I presume that you haven't tried getting on it yet? If you have no S.I. as you're stepping onto it, then you are lucky.

S.I. is usually hiding under the bus, waiting to pounce on you as you approach the bus door!๐Ÿ˜„

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Deleted member 82921, Venessolotic, rozeske and 2 others
bluegodism

bluegodism

the rose is blue ๐ŸŒน๐Ÿ’™
Nov 26, 2023
i don't think it's possible NOT to have SI, but maybe to have little. that being said, i have very little SI. i've tried to kill myself 5 times and obviously they were all failures, but not because of the survival instinct. maybe this is your case?

Reactions: Tokugawa_Yoshinobu, Deleted member 82921 and Tears in Rain
Aim

Aim

๐Ÿค
Sep 12, 2023
Wow would you mind posting this right before your attempt too. I'm curious to what's happening in your mind right before. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜Š

Reactions: Tears in Rain
Intoxicated

Intoxicated

M
Nov 16, 2023
I've read many posts on here of people complaining about how diffucult it is for them to overcome their SI, and I dont't find them relatable at all.
I don't believe in the magic power of survival instinct either. It looks like just a primitive pseudo-scientific explanation of all kinds of psychological issues that lead to failed suicide attempts, whist the real underlying reasons can be formulated more precisely.

The main reasons can be divided into 3 categories:
  • suicidal ambivalence (coexistence of the desire to die and the desire to stay alive)
  • anxiety
  • unbearable unpleasant perceptions which are too difficult to overcome using will power.
Any of these three things can take place solely or in a combination with others. The ambivalence is very common in suicidal people, and the ratio between the mutually contradictory desires determines how easily they give up due to anxiety or unpleasant perceptions.

Anxiety is commonly tied to expectations of undesirable outcome and can be unrelated to surviving. For example, many people experience anxiety before dates, where a potential undesirable outcome is being ashamed of giving a bad impression. Blaming an abstract survival instinct for your fears is one of the most stupid and unproductive things you can do in such a situation. Determining the origin of anxiety and finding a logical reasoning why it's not so important is the key for getting confidence.

It's worth noting that some apparent pro-lifers spread narratives like "suicide is painful" and "suicide is unreliable" to discourage suicidal people from killing themselves. "X method won't work because survival instinct will kick in" looks like a yet another manipulative trick in their anti-suicidal propaganda. I think that many stories about failed attempts are not genuine, and I consider mentioning vague "survival instinct" instead of more precise reasons as a red marker.

A belief in unbeatable survival instinct can be one of the factors of failure, since it gives people a seemingly valid excuse for giving up without finding ways to motivate themselves to follow the plan.

• Informative
Reactions: Jarni, Deleted member 82921 and Venessolotic
Aim

Aim

๐Ÿค
Sep 12, 2023
Wow would you mind posting this right before your attempt too. I'm curious to what's happening in your mind right before. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜Š
Excuse me lashing out, off course it's no need to publish. It's more for safety Yiu are safe here. On the other hand, it's a very private mater- I support either way. Good luck dear ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿฅฐ