silentcicada

silentcicada

Silhouettes on the ceiling
Aug 2, 2023
I have never wanted to be anything, even as a kid I never dreamed of having a career. The only experience I have is in veterinary medicine which doesn't pay well.
Do you like what you do? How did you find your career? I can't go to college so I'm really fucked. :(

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: heavyeyes, ViniTerrible, sserafim and 4 others
StellaSomnus

StellaSomnus

Dormies sicut stellae luceant
Aug 18, 2023
I want to be a mechanical engineer. I studied automotive engineering, have a bachelor's degree on that and still can't land a job as an engineer because the world is overeducated and the jobhunting scene is a huge mess. And I am not alone in this, too much people are overqualified and yet work wagie jobs just to make ends meet.

With that being said, I don't think it matters too much if you have a dream job or studied in a field and have a dream job. The job market in general is broken and I'm having mental health issues from my current physically demanding job and not having any hope of career development years after I graduated.

Sometimes, ignorance is a bliss.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: heavyeyes, sserafim, natthebrat and 5 others
silentcicada

silentcicada

Silhouettes on the ceiling
Aug 2, 2023
I want to be a mechanical engineer. I studied automotive engineering, have a bachelor's degree on that and still can't land a job as an engineer because the world is overeducated and the jobhunting scene is a huge mess. And I am not alone in this, too much people are overqualified and yet work wagie jobs just to make ends meet.

With that being said, I don't think it matters too much if you have a dream job or studied in a field and have a dream job. The job market in general is broken and I'm having mental health issues from my current physically demanding job and not having any hope of career development years after I graduated.

Sometimes, ignorance is a bliss.
It's so sad. I've been looking on LinkedIn and Indeed and I see jobs that require college experience plus a boatload of certifications starting at fucking $13/hr. What's the point anymore?

Reactions: heavyeyes, sserafim, Harrow and 2 others
H

hopelessness009

Sep 9, 2023
i relate to what you're saying. i also dont have a dream job and never have. i dislike working. honestly if i wasnt depressed and suicidal i would be content with a regular job and just be at home. sometimes i feel like i should though

• Hugs
Reactions: heavyeyes, sserafim, natthebrat and 3 others
Passersby

Passersby

Trapped in space and time
Aug 29, 2019
I've been living as NeeT and partial NeeT for yrs now. It's good and bad. I don't want a career. A dream job doesn't really matter anyway because it won't be fulfilled, that's why it's called a dream for me because it's not real. My dream is to get outta here and die.

• Hugs
Reactions: iamalreadydead, heavyeyes, sserafim and 2 others
StellaSomnus

StellaSomnus

Dormies sicut stellae luceant
Aug 18, 2023
It's so sad. I've been looking on LinkedIn and Indeed and I see jobs that require college experience plus a boatload of certifications starting at fucking $13/hr. What's the point anymore?

No point as it's super hard to compete. The job searches are broken to the point where I'm even lucky to be have a job even if it's just above minimum wage which truly sucks.

Jobhunting is a very difficult process nowadays because the system in itself is broken, it is a fulltime job in itself, just unpaid. Over the course of a year and a half, I applied for over 1000 positions, only 2 or 3 got some online interviews or callbacks, probably about the same amount of online assessment. 70% of them just ghosted me and say 20ish% got some automated "Thanks for applying but we're moving on with someone else so good luck looking for other jobs lmfaaooooo".

And I just gave up jobhunting. Having performed well in my University and graduated First Class after 5ish years of studying lands me in an underpaid and overworked warehouse operative. What a waste of time and money, I should've just asked for an apprenticeship job that pays me as I get trained, so I actually would have valuable experience for work instead of some peepeepoopoo degree.

• Aww..
  • Hugs
Reactions: LoiteringClouds, heavyeyes, sserafim and 3 others
ClaudeCTTE

ClaudeCTTE

Misunderstood...
Aug 22, 2023
Throughout my life I have always had an interest in a lot of careers.
Among them were: mechanical engineering, software engineering, sociology, psychology, history, languages, anthropology and so on.

However, some of these careers had one thing in common that I didn't enjoy: the prospect of working for someone else.

I'm passionate about acquiring knowledge, but I'm not inclined to apply it in a traditional job where I'd be constantly supervised.

During my brief time in university, I initially pursued a career in teaching, but I found it too monotonous and eventually dropped out.

Since leaving college, I've struggled to find a fulfilling career, which has led to depression for several reasons:
  • My therapist told me that my interest in various subjects and my boredom are because I have ADHD, but I guess that doesn't matter to me.
  • I always had a bad experience in school and I hate being with people who exclude me, reject me and who every day record videos for TikTok in the classroom.
  • Living in a small town in a developing country presents limited opportunities for engaging careers. Most local universities offer basic programs that fail to pique my interest, while the careers I'm passionate about are typically found in larger cities, where the cost of living is high.
  • The salaries in my area are dismal, regardless of one's education or performance. I knew someone working as a software engineer who earned only $100US per week. The only lucrative career option is medicine, but it's nearly impossible to gain admission, and only a select few are privileged enough to pursue it.
  • My family always discourages me in everything. When I tell them I want to study something they always say anything to discourage me:
"That career is very difficult"
"If you study that career you will starve to death"
"Study a career that makes a lot of money"
"You will end up working at McDonald's"
  • They've expressed similar sentiments when I've mentioned my desire to move abroad for a better life, offering excuses based on misconceptions and stereotypes:
"It's too expensive to live there"
"The people over there don't like our race"
"That country supports LGBT people"
"You are not going to have a better life because in that country there are a lot of suicides."

What the hell am I supposed to do in my life according to them?
I don't care about my life anymore, and now I'd rather be a NEET than keep suffering from looking for something I really like.

• Hugs
Reactions: LoiteringClouds, heavyeyes, sserafim and 2 others
Brown-Jacket Revy

Brown-Jacket Revy

Waste
Jul 10, 2023
Only thing I wanted to do was join the military. When I got there I fucking hated it and sabotaged my career.

Civilian-wise, there isn't anything I've ever found interesting enough to pursue, that would actually make me money.

• Hugs
Reactions: LoiteringClouds, heavyeyes, Passersby and 1 other person
natthebrat

natthebrat

only help i want is with ctb
Jul 9, 2023
I just want a job where I can fucking be left alone. And unfortunately most jobs now require lots of teamwork and interaction with others.

• Hugs
Reactions: silentcicada, LoiteringClouds, heavyeyes and 2 others
sserafim

sserafim

brighter than the sun, that’s just me
Sep 13, 2023
I have never wanted to be anything, even as a kid I never dreamed of having a career. The only experience I have is in veterinary medicine which doesn't pay well.
Do you like what you do? How did you find your career? I can't go to college so I'm really fucked. :(
Same, I don't have a dream job or career either. Ever since I was young there was nothing that I wanted to be. I remember people asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up and I didn't know because I honestly didn't want to be anything

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: silentcicada, LoiteringClouds, heavyeyes and 2 others
deadtrace

deadtrace

Aug 7, 2023
I'm the same.

I've been stalling as long as possible doing education and university. Now I can't stall anymore but nothing is appealing to me or even tolerable. I've never wanted to be anyrhing or do anyrhing. Even as a child when everyone had stupid outlandish ideas I had nothing. I just get insulted for it now but I don't understand how anyone wants to do anyrhing. It's unfathomable to me to want a career in anythubg.

• Hugs
Reactions: silentcicada, LoiteringClouds, heavyeyes and 3 others
Crystal

Crystal

Jun 16, 2023
Me neither
plus having social anxiety/fear of interviews
I just ended up as a 30+ year old loser who still hasn't worked a job/shut myself in for a decade now I just made my situation 10x worse than it originally was and harder to get out of this shit I dug myself in FML

• Hugs
Reactions: silentcicada, LoiteringClouds and heavyeyes
heavyeyes

heavyeyes

Oct 9, 2022
I once had dreams of becoming an actress or a singer but you have to be conventionally beautiful and attractive to even have a shot. Not to mention I've suffered from social anxiousness most of my life even before I knew what it was.

I was looking into possible career paths the other day. Namely in healthcare since some job positions make ok money and some are also very interesting to me. Surgical technicians make decent money but the job is very physically and mentally demanding. I would have to go to school full time for 2-3 years to get an Associates of Applied Sciences degree. Most work in hospitals which can mean working 10 to 12 hours a day, often working overtime, getting called in at weird hours the morning/night, and working weekends/holidays. Lack of sleep and rest fucks me up mentally so there's honestly no way I could do that job if it's really that stressful but I'd still like to explore it in some way. There's also sterile processing technicians which are a step down from surgical techs. The necessary schooling is much less (less than a year to complete a certification in some places) and the job is slightly easier but the pay is much lower. School has always been very hard for me especially once I developed mental illness but I would be willing to at least try.

However I can't give any of that a chance if the government takes my disability benefits away. I just found another psychiatrist (I have severe insomnia and my anxiety is getting worse so I really do need meds) and I was thinking of maybe giving therapy one final shot. If my disability benefits get taken away that will include my insurance. I won't be able to afford to get help even if I want it. I won't be able to give life another shot like maybe I had hoped. My only choice then would be to ctb.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: silentcicada, sserafim and LoiteringClouds