N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
There was recently this attempted murder of Salman Rushdie. The media say the reasons for the attack are unknown but it is pretty obvious. The very likely reason was the fatwa against Rushdie for publishing The Satanic Verses. Iran leaders promised a bountey for the the guy who kills Rushdie. I think this is the case if I got something wrong please correct me.
I don't really want to explicitly criticize Islam or muslims. It is rather a general problem of religions and other ideologies. People kill and torture each other just because they have different values or beliefs.

And people go even so far to ruin their life over it. I don't know all the details about the assassin. But in some/ many cases these people have a normal life. Stable income, a partner and friends. I want to say at least their life is not as fucked as mine. I don't get why they throw this away. They could spend their so much more meaningful.

Now he will spend a long long time in prison. And US prisons are no fun. So much suffering for nothing. Just because an ideology deceived him. It is like soldiers who voluntarily fought for Hitler or Stalin. Brain washing can be really powerful.

Reactions: katagiri83 and Un-
J

Julgran

Enlightened
Dec 15, 2021
There was recently this attempted murder of Salman Rushdie. The media say the reasons for the attack are unknown but it is pretty obvious. The very likely reason was the fatwa against Rushdie for publishing The Satanic Verses. Iran leaders promised a bountey for the the guy who kills Rushdie. I think this is the case if I got something wrong please correct me.
I don't really want to explicitly criticize Islam or muslims. It is rather a general problem of religions and other ideologies. People kill and torture each other just because they have different values or beliefs.

And people go even so far to ruin their life over it. I don't know all the details about the assassin. But in some/ many cases these people have a normal life. Stable income, a partner and friends. I want to say at least their life is not as fucked as mine. I don't get why they throw this away. They could spend their so much more meaningful.

Now he will spend a long long time in prison. And US prisons are no fun. So much suffering for nothing. Just because an ideology deceived him. It is like soldiers who voluntarily fought for Hitler or Stalin. Brain washing can be really powerful.

I don't agree with attacking Rushdie, but what child has not been tought the lesson "Don't aggravate other kids, because they may hit you or lash out at you in other ways"...?

I mean, it's simple sandbox logic, and I know that Rushdie has been vocal about Islam in writing - it's the equivalent of a child in a sandbox saying "You have an ugly shirt" to another child. Sure, I do believe in the freedom of speech, but any freedom has consequences.

S

Someone123

Illuminated
Oct 19, 2021
For some people their belief is that if others don't believe what they do religiously that they deserve to die. As a non religious person this especially doesn't make sense to me, but if you grow up surrounded by people who think this you are likely to think as they do- and if they believe that they will go to hell if they don't believe this then they often believe it, because descriptions of hell are pretty terrifying. We all have some levels of brainwashing in some things, but not to this extent. Does it really matter who scores more points in a game? Why is a person paid such huge amounts of money to score points in a game? If this money was redirected homelessness would be solved and many other serious issues could be solved. SO there are different levels of brainwashing all around us. I follow sports too as light entertainment, but I really dont care who wins games, its just something to chat with people about- because so many people will chat about this with passion but they don't care much about homelessness, etc. Pretty misplaced priorities in our society due to brainwashing. Sorry to ramble a bit of track here.

• Informative
Reactions: y'ffre and Un-
N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I don't agree with attacking Rushdie, but what child has not been tought the lesson "Don't aggravate other kids, because they may hit you or lash out at you in other ways"...?

I mean, it's simple sandbox logic, and I know that Rushdie has been vocal about Islam in writing - it's the equivalent of a child in a sandbox saying "You have an ugly shirt" to another child. Sure, I do believe in the freedom of speech, but any freedom has consequences.
Tbh honest I disagree with your stance a lot. I mean in open, liberal societies freedom of speech is very important. We should not allow that I controversial topics cannot be talked about. We are not barbaric.

I mean if people have to fear getting killed when they talk about controversies how shall this end? Like we had to ban almost every topic. Violence is no mean and we have to protect people with death threats.
In a civil society this is a necessity.

"Freedom has its consequences" I mean it is not his fault. Not at all.

Reactions: Sittichmutter, katagiri83, Lostandlooking and 1 other person
J

Julgran

Enlightened
Dec 15, 2021
Tbh honest I disagree with your stance a lot. I mean in open, liberal societies freedom of speech is very important. We should not allow that I controversial topics cannot be talked about. We are not barbaric.

I mean if people have to fear getting killed when they talk about controversies how shall this end? Like we had to ban almost every topic. Violence is no mean and we have to protect people with death threats.
In a civil society this is a necessity.

"Freedom has its consequences" I mean it is not his fault. Not at all.

I already said that I don't agree with attacking Rushdie, but all freedoms that exist in this world have consequences, and it is in the interest of everyone to recognize that fact.

When it comes to the question of "living in a civil society" and "not being barbaric", what society are we talking about..? The western powers have invaded the Middle East and killed innnocent people over there for decades, so I give no golden stars to the western powers, since we are not civil at all.

Regarding us talking about "controversial topics" in open, liberal societies, there are quite a few subjects that are not allowed to be discussed.

Last edited:
whatevs

whatevs

Mining for copium in the weirdest places.
Jan 15, 2022
Dude, perhaps that stupid ideology is what is giving their life structure and direction. Duhh.

• Yay!
Reactions: Un- and Rapière
N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
Dude, perhaps that stupid ideology is what is giving their life structure and direction. Duhh.
If this ideology convinces you to kill someone who only disagrees with you it is a treacherous one. The idea of absolute truth which results in thought police is dangerous. ( I mean with absolute truth that no doubts about it are allowed.)

Reactions: Un-, wait.what, katagiri83 and 1 other person
want2dienow

want2dienow

Atari hazure?
Jul 24, 2022
i'd do anything to be killed

• Hugs
  • Wow
Reactions: Un-, wait.what and y'ffre
whatevs

whatevs

Mining for copium in the weirdest places.
Jan 15, 2022
If this ideology convinces you to kill someone who only disagrees with you it is a treacherous one. The idea of absolute truth which results in thought police is dangerous. ( I mean with absolute truth that no doubts about it are allowed.)
Yep, obviously these people are "evil" or "insane", but firm and ardent belief systems are a good way to give your life purpose and let's say, weight. If they really are true believers the years in prison are an honour, too. So it's a win win scenario for these creatures. It seems strong delusions are what work best in this fucking hellhole. 😂 Being aware and sensitive sounds like a great way to suffer.

• Yay!
Reactions: Un- and katagiri83
Rapière

Rapière

On the brink
Jul 7, 2022
"If you have a why to live, you can endure almost any how"
- Friedrich Nietzsche

Reactions: whatevs and Rounded Apathy
S

Someone123

Illuminated
Oct 19, 2021
"If you have a why to live, you can endure almost any how"
- Friedrich Nietzsche
There are limits to this- I read Man's Search For Meaning", from which this is taken, and he had good insights for surviving tough situations. HOwever, to be honest, he and the other prisoners had a better situatino in a key way in the concentration camps than many people have here- if the decide the pain is too much and they don't want to go on, they can stop eating and they'll be dead in a few days, considering how bad of shape they are in- or the could attack a guard and be killed immediately. In other words, the people in this concentration camp could ctb with 100% certainty when they decided the pain was too much, and many of them did. That is a better situation than many people here have by far.

S

Sun n showers

Student
Jul 4, 2022

Wish he came and killed me instead..