oneirogen

oneirogen

Mar 22, 2019
edit: I did a little research; It looks like my body will be turned over to the Coroner's/Medical Examiner office. I will tell my dad to tell them he cannot afford any costs and hope that will be enough.

Hello.

I'm in New York City and ctbing soon, the closest next of Kin I have would be my father in another state. Last month my mother passed away and the costs fell upon him ($2.7k)
for her cremation. She wanted her body to be donated to science, so we were able to, at the last minute, organize for that to happen. He was still responsible for some costs from the Funeral home but mostly the costs were taken care of by the program her body was donated to. Basically, I just don't want my father to have anything to do with my body that I leave behind and I don't want to burden him with any costs. (He is poor and retired) I really do not wish to donate my body (I have body dysmorphic disorder and don't even want the coroner to examine it). I wish that my body could just be dropped in a compost. Does anyone know how I can ensure he will not be responsible for any costs? He is irresponsible and pays for everything with a credit card and gets himself into debt. I'm going to start looking into assistance programs that this state offers to cover cremation/burial. Any input is appreciated.

Last edited:
hellispink

hellispink

poisonous
May 26, 2022
I am also near NY. If you get any other information, please share. If you have a credit card yourself with enough money on it, you can pay your own funeral and burial arrangements. Once you die, unless there is a lot of money taken from the credit, they will discharge it. Since they discharge the debt because you will be dead, no one will have to pay absolutely anything. If you have doubts regarding them discharging it or anything you can look in google or call them. Ask them if a person dies does the debt gets discharged or not, depending on the amount. As long as you dont take a lot of money and just stick to like cremation , it should be fine. I would have done this but i sadly used all my credit and fucked it up when i was younger.

Reactions: oneirogen
locked*n*loaded

locked*n*loaded

Archangel
Apr 15, 2022
I don't believe your father is legally responsible for any costs associated with your funeral, as long as you are the age of majority. It may be different for a husband/wife, or anyone legally married. But, it seems to me once you are of legal age, your parent's responsibilities end completely. Now, there's legal responsibility and moral responsibility. If you think that your dad would feel morally obligated to make sure his child's body (you) is laid to rest properly, that's a different story. That would ,probably, take some type of letter, or note, from you to your dad telling him that you don't want him paying for anything related to your cremation or burial.

Reactions: oneirogen
oneirogen

oneirogen

Mar 22, 2019
Thank you guys!! I'm going to note to my dad that if he ever has to deal with my death to just let the county and state take care of it and all costs. I read that unclaimed bodies may be buried in a public cemetery or indigent cemetery, to me that thought is so depressing. I'm not hoping to be cremated either, but I suppose it's preferable to being buried forever in a public cemetery. I wish I could just dissolve into the soil and leave only bones behind. I could CTB somewhere isolated and wooded but then I would be turned into a missing person (if anyone notices) but then that would turn into an investigation -the last thing I would want.

Here's the website to NYC's Office of Chief Medical Examiner: https://www.nyc.gov/site/ocme/index.page

SolomonKado

SolomonKado

This is taking too long…
Jul 4, 2023
I am also near NY. If you get any other information, please share. If you have a credit card yourself with enough money on it, you can pay your own funeral and burial arrangements. Once you die, unless there is a lot of money taken from the credit, they will discharge it. Since they discharge the debt because you will be dead, no one will have to pay absolutely anything. If you have doubts regarding them discharging it or anything you can look in google or call them. Ask them if a person dies does the debt gets discharged or not, depending on the amount. As long as you dont take a lot of money and just stick to like cremation , it should be fine. I would have done this but i sadly used all my credit and fucked it up when i was younger.
And this will not cause police to show up at your door asking about your well being? I would think this would cause alot of questions from people who will cause us problems.

hellispink

hellispink

poisonous
May 26, 2022
And this will not cause police to show up at your door asking about your well being? I would think this would cause alot of questions from people who will cause us problems.
Most funerals have plans for paying burial or cremation in advance, regardless of ones age or health status . It shouldn't be suspicious at all. It is a personal decision . After all we can die at any time or age, and thinking preparing for death shouldn't be seen bad .