death137

death137

miserable
Jun 25, 2020
About 2 years ago I was telling myself to not look up but down and feel grateful for what I've because there are ppl who don't even have what I've. I was feeling a little better at first but then I quickly returned to my depressive/suicidal state. When I look at that period now I see it as a pathetic attempt. I think if there are ppl who genuinely feel grateful then good for them but for those who don't then its ok if they feel very angry or suicidal about their situation. I don't want to feel grateful for a life that is mostly determined by chance. I didn't ask to be born let alone the situations I'm in. The only way forward is to die.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: SuicideAwaits, it's_all_a_game, _Minsk and 16 others
T

trigzter

Aug 9, 2019
the richest of people can still feel empty. you owe no debt to happiness and it unfortunately cant be bought. stresses are made easier sure but life doesnt suddenly become more fulfilling.

Reactions: demuic, newave3 and death137
F

filthyrottendirty

Experienced
Feb 20, 2021
I feel this

Reactions: Dead Meat, newave3 and death137
puppet_nihilist

puppet_nihilist

cogito, ergo sum
Jan 8, 2021
This is my mood since waking up as well. Cursing a life I didn't ask for and wanting to die as soon as I can. Hopefully, we find peace soon.

• Hugs
Reactions: LastLoveLetter, Dead Meat, FuneralCry and 5 others
Superdeterminist

Superdeterminist

Enlightened
Apr 5, 2020
Same, I think I'm low in gratitude for most things. I suspect there might even be a link between low gratefulness and suicide, it would make some sense. I don't believe we can freely decide how grateful we are about anything.

• Love
Reactions: _Minsk, FuneralCry, Dead Meat and 2 others
Painless_end

Painless_end

Life is too difficult for me
Oct 11, 2019
Comparing yourself to others even in a positive way is sometimes ok but if your overall mind is your enemy, like mine is, then it doesn't matter much.

Yes, there are people who have less than me, but they have something that is more precious than anything in the world. They have a strong mind that enables them to live an empowered life inspite of their physical or financial circumstances.

I have a rather low resolution mind - I am trying to avoid calling my mind as weak - which is around 90% non functional, and only works for basic stuff.

What good will it do me then, to say "Oh there are others who are worse off than me, therefore I should be happy"

No, any person who is of a sound mind, even if they are not sound of body, are better off than me.

• Love
Reactions: it's_all_a_game, LastLoveLetter, Joarga and 6 others
T

trigzter

Aug 9, 2019
I'll disagree on that point. How can you be grateful for something you have had your entire life? running water. a toilet. we have been trained to not appreciate those things. sure if they were stripped away we would realize what we were missing but we cant consciously decide to care about things that we are accustomed to

Reactions: death137, demuic, newave3 and 1 other person
newave3

newave3

I want out
Nov 21, 2020
The only thing I could ever be grateful for is a peaceful death.

• Love
Reactions: it's_all_a_game, FuneralCry, Dead Meat and 4 others
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
People always say 'you should be grateful because others have it worse'. This type of thinking doesn't make sense to me as it doesn't remove what is causing me to suffer. Honestly I think that is irrational as people don't say 'you can't be happy because someone else has it better'.

There is no reason to feel grateful as we didn't even ask to be alive and we lack the rights to peacefully leave this earth (or at least where I live) I see existing as an burden so being grateful would not be appropriate. I feel like these negative emotions are rational.

• Love
Reactions: imaloserbaby, newave3, Bahbah Blacksheep and 3 others
death137

death137

miserable
Jun 25, 2020
I'll disagree on that point. How can you be grateful for something you have had your entire life? running water. a toilet. we have been trained to not appreciate those things. sure if they were stripped away we would realize what we were missing but we cant consciously decide to care about things that we are accustomed to
Yes but some ppl TRY to be grateful after seeing inspiration quotes or told by other ppl and I think its ok not to try. None of us asked to be born and life is probably objectively meaningless so it's ok to feel bad or even kill yourself for whatever reason.

Reactions: newave3 and eternalmelancholy
eternalmelancholy

eternalmelancholy

waiting for the bus
Mar 24, 2021
Yes but some ppl TRY to be grateful after seeing inspiration quotes or told by other ppl and I think its ok not to try. None of us asked to be born and life is probably objectively meaningless so it's ok to feel bad or even kill yourself for whatever reason.

Those inspiration quotes will not give me back my health or improve my financial situation. I don't know why I have to be grateful for a shitty life I never asked for.

Telling people to be grateful is just using shame and guilt to silence uncomfortable discussions about the pointlessness of life.

Reactions: it's_all_a_game and death137
LastLoveLetter

LastLoveLetter

Persephone
Mar 28, 2021
There will always be someone suffering "worse" than someone else in this world. There is no trophy for subjectively or objectively suffering the "most" - it is no consolation to the recipient of the comparison or to those encouraged to compare.

It's a moot point and an asinine way of trying to make other people's issues seem invalid. "Be grateful" is trite nonsense used to shame, silence and shun, not support.

Other people's struggles do not make yours obsolete. You do not have to "be grateful" for an existence you were forced to experience. Conversely, it's also okay to feel gratitude and still want to die. Appreciating something is not to suggest that our suffering simply stops, or that it should be ignored.

If your house is on fire, you don't say "at least I have a house." You get the fuck out of there. I feel similarly about life.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: it's_all_a_game, Beachedwhale and death137
Neowise

Neowise

We fly and fly but never reach our destination.
Oct 7, 2020
"Comparison is the thief of joy" I am guilty of that. For example I'm studying at university which should make me feel great, but my marks are below average which makes me feel like shit.

In that sense I'd say I don't feel very grateful either.

Reactions: death137
W

WornOutLife

マット
Mar 22, 2020
I agree with you!
Could things be worse for us? OF COURSE!!!!!!!

It's all about random luck, after all.
You can't choose you're family or where you're born and that practically defines your future!
Sure, some people can change their lives in every single aspect but most CAN'T.

We never asked to be born and be suicidal. It's just the way we are.

Even if someone gave me millions of dollars, I would still be suicidal!

I don't want friends, family, money, women or anything now...I just want to disappear!

Reactions: death137