O

OrcWitch

Warlock
Sep 3, 2021
I have met others from similar backgrounds, and they tend to become self sufficient and cold hearted(I mean this in a positive sense). They are strong and respectable people that are not taken advantage of. Someone can try to scare or manipulate them and they just get angry.

Meanwhile I was just rendered very fragile in my early adulthood. My early experiences working customer service I was a very hard worker, but I was unable to handle conflict. I would get shaken up and get overwhelmed just from someone raising their voice at me over something outside my control. I would hate myself for it and wonder why I couldn't handle it when other adults could so easily shrug it off or stand up for themselves. I apologized constantly too and I don't know why I said sorry so much, I just felt sorry everywhere I went. I had a difficult time grocery shopping because I was extremely afraid of cutting someone off or having to fight through a crowd to get where I needed to go.

I was growing frustrated that I just felt fear and anxiety when someone disagreed with me on anything. I would just apologize and shift my opinion or drop the subject out of discomfort with disagreement. I once told myself I needed to speak up like other people and learn to be able to debate like a normal adult, so I challenged this girl on something. I didn't really care about the subject itself, just that we were disagreeing on something. She ended up getting angry and going "Are you fucking retarded" and blowing up at me over chat. I started shaking in my chair and peed my pants and I was 24 years old. I hyper ventilated after peeing myself because this girl was shouting at me. The most bizarre thing is I was in an abusive relationship during this time, and I was more able to tolerate and accept getting beaten until I had a concussion than I was verbal conflict. Physical violence I would just go numb and shut down, verbal conflict would rattle my nerves and make me jumpy and terrified.

Due to my tendency to get overwhelmed over such minor things as someone yelling or getting mad at me, some internet friends tried to diagnose me with BPD. I believed them at the time, but later on I was diagnosed with PTSD instead. I never split on people or put them into black and white categories of saint and evil. My internal identity and values you were always consistent.

Later on when I finally got help with therapy and helpful internet friends, I realized that I wasn't "immature" but that I was just carrying some kind of trauma reaction to conflict. I've grown better able to handle these things and can better handle arguments now. It frustrates me that other people can become ruthless and powerful like a wolf, meanwhile I just became a skittish little mouse that flees everything. My biggest frustration with my personality is being weak but I cannot simply will myself into a powerful personality like theirs, I have to work with what I am.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: LADY007, Journeytoletgo, WrongPlaceWrongTime and 13 others
BitterlyAlive_

BitterlyAlive_

-
Dec 8, 2020
I understand how you feel, at least to some extent. I live in a house where, even as an adult, I still can't stand up for myself or really speak my mind without getting reprimanded, sometimes even cussed at/screamed at. So yeah, still can't really handle conflict either. I try to look at general conflicts (irl at least) as practice, sometimes that helps me and sometimes it doesn't. I've been in some situations where my "stronger" side has come out/the conflict is handled better than usual, and I see that my personality is actually stronger than I often believe? Perhaps you've noticed this as you've learned to handle conflict, too…?

I also wanted to say that what you've been through is awful and you didn't deserve to be treated that way/abused.

• Love
Reactions: Journeytoletgo, Life sucks, OrcWitch and 2 others
Panna

Panna

Enlightened
Aug 31, 2020
It's wonderful that you are getting better at handling tough situations. I know all too well how painful it is, always apologizing, being afraid of any kind conflict and simply having people angry with me. Being able to work towards overcoming that kind of trauma is very impressive. The way I see it though, having a softer personality lets you have the potential to be more kinder. Im unsure if you value that trait as much as myself, but having a more mean and ruthless personality makes it harder to emphasize with others who are suffering at least in my experience. I hope you continue to get stronger, personality wise.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: deflationary, BitterlyAlive_, Life sucks and 2 others
W

whywere

Visionary
Jun 26, 2020
I have met others from similar backgrounds, and they tend to become self sufficient and cold hearted(I mean this in a positive sense). They are strong and respectable people that are not taken advantage of. Someone can try to scare or manipulate them and they just get angry.

Meanwhile I was just rendered very fragile in my early adulthood. My early experiences working customer service I was a very hard worker, but I was unable to handle conflict. I would get shaken up and get overwhelmed just from someone raising their voice at me over something outside my control. I would hate myself for it and wonder why I couldn't handle it when other adults could so easily shrug it off or stand up for themselves. I apologized constantly too and I don't know why I said sorry so much, I just felt sorry everywhere I went. I had a difficult time grocery shopping because I was extremely afraid of cutting someone off or having to fight through a crowd to get where I needed to go.

I was growing frustrated that I just felt fear and anxiety when someone disagreed with me on anything. I would just apologize and shift my opinion or drop the subject out of discomfort with disagreement. I once told myself I needed to speak up like other people and learn to be able to debate like a normal adult, so I challenged this girl on something. I didn't really care about the subject itself, just that we were disagreeing on something. She ended up getting angry and going "Are you fucking retarded" and blowing up at me over chat. I started shaking in my chair and peed my pants and I was 24 years old. I hyper ventilated after peeing myself because this girl was shouting at me. The most bizarre thing is I was in an abusive relationship during this time, and I was more able to tolerate and accept getting beaten until I had a concussion than I was verbal conflict. Physical violence I would just go numb and shut down, verbal conflict would rattle my nerves and make me jumpy and terrified.

Due to my tendency to get overwhelmed over such minor things as someone yelling or getting mad at me, some internet friends tried to diagnose me with BPD. I believed them at the time, but later on I was diagnosed with PTSD instead. I never split on people or put them into black and white categories of saint and evil.

Later on when I finally got help with therapy and helpful internet friends, I realized that I wasn't "immature" but that I was just carrying some kind of trauma reaction to conflict. I've grown better able to handle these things and can better handle arguments now. It frustrates me that other people can become ruthless and powerful like a wolf, meanwhile I just became a skittish little mouse that flees everything. My biggest frustration with my personality is being weak but I cannot simply will myself into a powerful personality like theirs, I have to work with what I am.
Hi! You are a very brave and kind soul, and never ever let anyone tell you different. I am decades older than you and I mention this only because of everything that I have seen and experienced.

I have worked around all types and believe me 100%, I would cherish working around you. You are thoughtful, kind and have a deep understanding of humans that most do not.

Oh ya, the loud mouths in a office and /or work setting always seem to have "all the answers" and/or bully their way around, but guess what? I have seen it time and time again where that type of bull crap wears thin, people get sick of them and surge them off for good.

You have so much going for you and you have the type of personality that will take you far, it just takes some time.

I have always been more meek and mild in the work place and a lot of the time at first it seemed as if I was like nothing and going nowhere, BUT..BUT after awhile when the dust would settle, and others either left or were fired, I was still there and I would be recognized for my hard work AND how I treated others.

You are going to be awesome and I 100% believe in you and your outstanding abilities.

Walter

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: LADY007, WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, Anxieyote and 5 others
O

OrcWitch

Warlock
Sep 3, 2021
The way I see it though, having a softer personality lets you have the potential to be more kinder. Im unsure if you value that trait as much as myself, but having a more mean and ruthless personality makes it harder to emphasize with others who are suffering at least in my experience. I hope you continue to get stronger, personality wise.
I'm sorry you struggle with that too.

I think I just wish I could be more like the stronger people I have met. In fiction I always admire the cold, brave and calculating types who do not have much empathy. Even in criminal films where the theme is how they have no true allies and their wickedness is their own downfall, I just admire that kind of personality. I think if I was like that I would have never struggled. I've never valued my own warmth towards friends and it's not what I like being complimented on. But I am what I am.

I think another reason I dislike "kind" as a character trait is because so many awful people falsely believe they are just so warm hearted due to cognitive dissonance. I admire honest vilains who do not need to comfort themselves with delusions like that. But I guess awful people appropriating the title doesn't mean kindness isn't a good trait.

even as an adult, I still can't stand up for myself or really speak my mind without getting reprimanded, sometimes even cussed at/screamed at. So yeah, still can't really handle conflict either. I try to look at general conflicts (irl at least) as practice
I'm sorry they treat you like that. It is usually because they are weak and their egos are threatened if someone dare disagrees or worse yet criticizes them.

Hi! You are a very brave and kind soul, and never ever let anyone tell you different. I am decades older than you and I mention this only because of everything that I have seen and experienced.
Thank you Walter that means a lot to me. I hope I make it someday like you were able to at work.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, KuriGohan&Kamehameha, Panna and 2 others
KuriGohan&Kamehameha

KuriGohan&Kamehameha

想死不能 - 想活不能
Nov 23, 2020
You're not weak in the slightest. Simply enduring so much trauma makes you incredibly strong. A lot of people who become embittered and cold aren't coping with it as well as they think they are.

• Love
Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, Panna, whywere and 2 others
J

Journeytoletgo

Broken and hated 7-14 years long overdue
May 14, 2018
You're not weak. You just had circumstances that wired you this way. None of it is your fault. I'm sorry you had to endure all of that. It takes a lot of resilience to overcome and live with PTSD.

Dot

Dot

Info abt typng styl on prfle.
Sep 26, 2021

Due to my tendency to get overwhelmed over such minor things as someone yelling or getting mad at me, some internet friends tried to diagnose me with BPD. I believed them at the time, but later on I was diagnosed with PTSD instead. I never split on people or put them into black and white categories of saint and evil. My internal identity and values you were always consistent.

Trauma reaction to conflict = fawning which sucks. Voice taken away and stuck in state of being frozen up.

Nothing above sounds weak. Overcoming/working with trauma takes strength and self awareness number of those 'strong' people wld never know or understand.

• Love
Reactions: whywere
Makko

Makko

Iä!
Jan 17, 2021
Trauma doesn't so much makes you weak as it makes you bent. You can no longer do what you used to do but you become (mal)adapted to do things you couldn't do before. A bend paperclip won't hold papers but it can pick locks. People who "turn into wolves" are also bent, even if a different direction. When you become a "wolf" you don't simply become an empowered version of your former self, you gain wolf virtues but lose human ones. When you replace human faculties with monstrosity you may get a competitive advantage but it's not visible from the outside how the loss of humanity narrows your existence and what it does to your ability to experience the intangibles of life.

• Love
Reactions: KuriGohan&Kamehameha, WhatDoesTheFoxSay? and whywere