KuriGohan&Kamehameha

KuriGohan&Kamehameha

想死不能 - 想活不能
Nov 23, 2020
Let's face it, if you are disabled or have any health conditions that impede productivity the world at large will treat you like you are lazy and worthless.

I wish this was not the case, but I see it constantly. I am worn out and exhausted. My very existence is burdensome. I know I sound like a broken record but my life only serves to reinforce this realization-unless I am productive, I am not useful to anyone, and I have no value.

I don't want to stamp out anyone's fun or make their lives harder. Thieving joy away from others is the last thing I wanted to do. Yet ever since I got ill, this is how I've been regarded. Nothing but a burden and a dark cloud over the sunny day that is other people's lives.

None of the shiny happy people can understand until they stand in these shoes. No one will know how humiliating and shameful it is when you get left behind at an outing because no one wants to sit and wait around with the overexerted cripple who needs to sit at a bench for a few minutes.

People like to have fun. They enjoy light-heartedness and distractions. If you are the antithesis of radiant positivity then you are society's worst nightmare. It makes you feel like you're a reminder of all the chaos in life, all the things that can go wrong, and they'd rather lock you away, say you're crazy, and pretend you don't exist rather than confront the reality that our existence is built upon the principles of thermodynamics and our universe errs towards the side of unpredictability and entropy.

You can do everything right in life and still end up like me. That is the crucial bit of information the majority likes to ommit. Before I was ill, even with all my trauma, I was trying my damnest to overcome the shit hand I'd been dealt in life. Once your health is gone, you can't get it back, and I've learned this the hard way. Having the flu for two weeks sucks, but it is nothing compared to years of a chronic, incurable illness that never gets any better.

People lie all the time. They lie and say there is hope even if there have been no treatments for your condition in over 40 years. They lie and say you matter, while employers, the government, and the people around you look down at you and say you're unreliable when your illness prohibits you from working the typical 40 hour work week. They lie and say they'll love you always, then kick you to the curb when your life turns into an erroneous nightmare rather than the picture book fairytale expectation of perfect grades, a degree, spouse, 2.5 kids, white picket fence house, and a prosperous career.

To be honest, I am fucking sick of this. It shows how little humans truly understand each other, when people post these mental health awareness mantras on social media, yet talk about how negative people are toxic leeches wanting to besmirch your happiness and how "you can't help someone if they don't want to help themselves xx :)"

The idea that every problem can be solved by the individual is such a cancerous mentality yet it is probably one of the most prevalent dogmas in Western society. You control your thoughts. You control your circumstances. Such bullshit. If I could control my chronic fatigue syndrome, IBS, chronic pain, autism, and ptsd, do you think I would not have already done that?? Keep on saying antidepressants and therapists are a panacea though. Oh, and don't forget to call someone insane if they criticize this broken system of "mental health care" because it helps some people while severely neglecting and hurting others, leading them towards further despair!

My own partner looked me in the eyes and told me that it isn't the people in your life who should care for a disabled person, they should be free to do whatever they want and the obligation should be delegated to society. He also told me that it is not selfish for someone to leave a disabled or ill spouse who is reliant on their partner, because someone's ability to have fun and freedom is more important than their promise to support someone.

Our world is selfish to its core. Don't get me wrong, I can be selfish. Everyone is at some point. If I need help with something, I recognise it is selfish to ask for it, when my disabilities make things impossible. I have tried for years to become a more selfless, empathetic person, and try to be there for others whenever I can, doing favors, providing support, but the world will still see me as a burden no matter what because I ask for more than I can provide to the economy. My university acts belligerent and frustrated because disabled students ask for accommodations. Half the time they don't put subtitles on our lectures when many disabled students including myself have provisions that say they must do this in order for us to properly learn. They don't care. Nothing ever changes.

I know I am a burden. I know it is depressing to be around me because I cannot have a happy and positive attitude due to constantly being in some sort of pain or malaise. Yet, the government won't allow me to end my life in a peaceful way. They force me to live while reminding me at every turn how worthless I am for being sick.

I am tired of being a burden. Others see no problem with how our sick society functions and have no qualms about sticking to the status quo, so they will always label the "defectivd individuals" as the problem and not their hypocritical attidues towards the disabled. As long as people act this way, I see no hope for any sort of societal improvement. I am tired and exhausted. Let me out of this world. I don't want to ruin people's lives anymore by simply existing and hurting.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: bebebeep, WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, Wrennie and 22 others
fent_dnm27

fent_dnm27

Jan 8, 2021
I think you already know I don't disagree with much of what you've said, being disabled myself by a chronic incurable illness.

My own partner looked me in the eyes and told me that it isn't the people in your life who should care for a disabled person, they should be free to do whatever they want and the obligation should be delegated to society. He also told me that it is not selfish for someone to leave a disabled or ill spouse who is reliant on their partner, because someone's ability to have fun and freedom is more important than their promise to support someone.
:aw:

On the one hand, having suffered abandonment by my own healthy partner, and totally lacking a sense of self worth myself, I don't blame your partner for thinking that way. But I find it detestable that they would say it to you in that way. Nobody deserves that.

Youre not a burden. Life was just unusually cruel to you and left you in such circumstances. Also you should probably just avoid the "shiny happy" people at all times.... it sounds like social media IRL.

• Love
Reactions: Rif, Isisnefert, Hyperbunny and 2 others
G

GreenTree

Mage
Jun 1, 2020
What a brilliant post. Summed up perfectly.

• Love
Reactions: Rif, Isisnefert and KuriGohan&Kamehameha
Blue Rose

Blue Rose

Student
Feb 6, 2021
1. Oh, did you travel in my mind? It was touching and I thought you have sharp eyes.
2. In my life, I have had mild depression, I have no jobs, I feel useless and guilt.
3. Yes. Most people are hypocrite. Happy people love their values and force them into us.
4. South Korea has the idea that every problem can be solved by the individual too. Severely.
5. Surely you are NOT a burden. You are not to blame for the world at all.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Rif, Isisnefert, pthnrdnojvsc and 2 others
EmbraceOfTheVoid

EmbraceOfTheVoid

Part Time NEET - Full Time Suicidal
Mar 29, 2020
Highly accurate post. If you're anything other than happy and healthy you're tossed in the garbage like a broken vase.

Also you should probably just avoid the "shiny happy" people at all times.... it sounds like social media IRL.

I personally prefer calling them bubble people, they remind me of the main character from the Truman Show.

Reactions: Wrennie, it's_all_a_game, Pookie and 4 others
Gonjoolie

Gonjoolie

Student
Feb 5, 2021
Man I wanna try and quell your worries, but I can't. I feel the same damn way with my autism and just in general fucked up body.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Wrennie, it's_all_a_game, KuriGohan&Kamehameha and 1 other person
demuic

demuic

Life was a mistake
Sep 12, 2020
To be honest, I am fucking sick of this. It shows how little humans truly understand each other, when people post these mental health awareness mantras on social media, yet talk about how negative people are toxic leeches wanting to besmirch your happiness and how "you can't help someone if they don't want to help themselves xx :)"

The idea that every problem can be solved by the individual is such a cancerous mentality yet it is probably one of the most prevalent dogmas in Western society. You control your thoughts. You control your circumstances. Such bullshit. If I could control my chronic fatigue syndrome, IBS, chronic pain, autism, and ptsd, do you think I would not have already done that?? Keep on saying antidepressants and therapists are a panacea though. Oh, and don't forget to call someone insane if they criticize this broken system of "mental health care" because it helps some people while severely neglecting and hurting others, leading them towards further despair!
I resonate so much with this and feel the same way. I've made a post about the attitudes toward negative people before, because it's one thing that truly pisses me off.

People don't want to deal with the reality that the majority of your life is made up of factors entirely beyond your control, that you can never do anything about.

The "mental health care" system is one institution that polite society refuses to allow to be questioned. For all of its existence, it has probably caused more human suffering than it has actually solved. It's only recently that they've taken on this facade of trying to compassionately "help" people, which is primarily motivated by seeking profits.

• Love
Reactions: Wrennie, it's_all_a_game, KuriGohan&Kamehameha and 2 others
disabledandhopeless

disabledandhopeless

Enlightened
Mar 1, 2020
I completely agree. Thanks for the post :)

• Love
Reactions: Busdriver, Wrennie, KuriGohan&Kamehameha and 1 other person
KuriGohan&Kamehameha

KuriGohan&Kamehameha

想死不能 - 想活不能
Nov 23, 2020
I resonate so much with this and feel the same way. I've made a post about the attitudes toward negative people before, because it's one thing that truly pisses me off.

People don't want to deal with the reality that the majority of your life is made up of factors entirely beyond your control, that you can never do anything about.

The "mental health care" system is one institution that polite society refuses to allow to be questioned. For all of its existence, it has probably caused more human suffering than it has actually solved. It's only recently that they've taken on this facade of trying to compassionately "help" people, which is primarily motivated by seeking profits.
Yep exactly this. People like to think we have control, when the reality is life can throw a curveball at any time and the amount of leverage we actually have over the situation is minimal. I have seen people mock the homeless, the poor, and the disadvantaged, because they think those people made bad decisions that lead them there. All it takes is one bad event or tragedy for ANYONE to end up in that situation..

I get really pissed off when people think unhappiness is a result of an individual making bad decisions or simply not trying to improve. I know people who constantly work hard and do the right things and they aren't happy, they're just as miserable as the people who get blamed for "not making the right decisions". How privledged does one have to be to think you can always control your own destiny?

It is certainly not rational nor grounded in reality.

• Love
Reactions: demuic, Wrennie, it's_all_a_game and 1 other person
L

lugerepair

I don't like life
Oct 15, 2020
Very well put. That's how I feel as well. I've been called lazy so many times. I've been regarded with contempt. I've been called a burden. They expect you to stay alive but they don't give you the means to stay alive. They want to "prevent suicide" but they make it so suicide is the only viable solution.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: greyhound, demuic, KuriGohan&Kamehameha and 3 others