T

ThatStateOfMind

Enlightened
Nov 13, 2021
I genuinely don't know if I could bring myself to CTB because of my family. My mom, especially. She miscarried 2-4 kids before having me (can't recall the exact number, she doesn't talk about it often for obvious reasons), and I was a challenge since I was extremely premature. I even technically died as a baby, but only for short periods.

There's other people in my life that this would crush too, but I always think first and foremost about my mom. I'm sure a lot of people here can relate, judging from the responses on threads about why people stick around. Mine is a multitude of things and my mom is a large part in that.

My cat too, she misses me when I'm gone, I can't imagine how she'd cope if I was gone permanently. I went on a trip a while back and she apparently searched my room daily for me, and when she couldn't find me, would sleep in the room for a bit and that just crushed me dude. It made me realize that if I ever did CTB, I would definitely hurt my cat too.

Finally, there's also friends, even online friends who I think would definitely miss my presence as well, though one knows about what I deal with and I think would understand, not that it would be much easier. A girl I'm also talking to would definitely be crushed. My friend I talk to somewhat frequently (couple times a week) and occasionally see in person would also be affected.

A lot of my stress is temporary I think, resulting from college and the uncertainty of early 20s. I'd rather work a low wage shitty job even with my CS degree that I'm pursuing before killing myself and hurting my family like that. And who knows, that may be what transpires, I have no clue what the future holds tbh, but I just needed to vent. I don't know if I'll ever CTB due to these reasons.

• Hugs
Reactions: LifeQuitter, TenThousandTrees, suffering_mo_7 and 3 others
Darkover

Darkover

Angelic
Jul 29, 2021
Everything that's wrong in your life is the fault of your parents. Whatever your struggles, your mistakes and your pain, you are not to blame. You are an innocent victim of those who raised you.

Reactions: LifeQuitter and annointed_towers
T

ThatStateOfMind

Enlightened
Nov 13, 2021
Everything that's wrong in your life is the fault of your parents. Whatever your struggles, your mistakes and your pain, you are not to blame. You are an innocent victim of those who raised you.
That take also feels overly simplistic and can lead to a sort of victim mentality. I'd rather accept some of my choices that have affected me negatively as such, so I can personally grow from them.

So for that reason, I honestly disagree with this take. Sure, I didn't ask to be born but I don't if I'd exactly say I wish I were never born. We live for fleeting moments of happiness, and without those, I don't think anyone would willingly choose to live. I understand though, that you are likely anti-natalist while I'm not and it's a simple difference of opinion and outlook.

• Hugs
Reactions: TenThousandTrees
ham and potatoes

ham and potatoes

Just some hillbilly
Mar 27, 2024
im in the same boat. id have ended it by now if it wasnt for me not wanting me to cause my family pain.