Arcanist
Feb 28, 2020
Is that enough? I intend to burn it inside my bedroom

faust

faust

lost among the stars
Jan 26, 2020
I guess is something around 3x5(meters)
"if the concentration of carbon in the briquettes is 85%, the lethal concentration of CO is 10 000 ppm and the volume of an apartment is 100 m3, then burning 629 g of charcoal briquettes could produce a potentially toxic atmosphere. Therefore, using a typical amount of briquettes of about 1 kg in a poorly ventilated area is likely to lead to clinical toxicity and might lead to death." Hence , 15m2 and 2kg of charcoal is more than enough

Reactions: Steamm
S

Steamm

Arcanist
Feb 28, 2020
"if the concentration of carbon in the briquettes is 85%, the lethal concentration of CO is 10 000 ppm and the volume of an apartment is 100 m3, then burning 629 g of charcoal briquettes could produce a potentially toxic atmosphere. Therefore, using a typical amount of briquettes of about 1 kg in a poorly ventilated area is likely to lead to clinical toxicity and might lead to death." Hence , 15m2 and 2kg of charcoal is more than enough
Thanks faust

Reactions: faust
faust

faust

lost among the stars
Jan 26, 2020
Thanks faust
There are some numbers if you need:

The weight of a gas, in grams, in 1 m3 at a concentration of c, where c is the concentration as a percentage, is:

Wc g = W g × c ÷ 100

The weight of CO in 1 m3 at 1% concentration (10 000 ppm) is:

W1 g = (28.01 ÷ 22.47) × 1 ÷ 100

= 12.47 g

The weight of CO at 1% concentration in an apartment is dependent on the volume of the apartment, ignoring walls, furniture, other objects and people, so it is:

Wapartment = W1 g × volume of the apartment

The weight of CO at 1% concentration in an apartment of 100 m3 volume is:

Wapartment = 12.47 g × 100

= 1247 g

The proportion of a CO molecule that is carbon is 43%, so the weight of carbon in an apartment containing 1% CO is:

W carbon = Wapartment × proportion of CO that is carbon

= 1247 g × 0.43

= 535 g

Finally, the proportion of carbon in the charcoal briquettes used in this incident, as stated in manufacturer information, is 85%. Therefore, the weight of briquettes needed to produce 1% CO in a 100 m3 apartment is:

W briquettes = W carbon ÷ proportion of briquette that is carbon

= 535 g ÷ 0.85

= 629 g

waterbottleman

waterbottleman

Not a person
Sep 30, 2019
Are you sure that's a good idea?

The area needs to be very well sealed for the charcoal method to work.

Also you don't want to accidentally burn your house/apartment complex/whatever building down.

Reactions: GoodPersonEffed
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Brevity is my middle name, but my name was TL
Jan 11, 2020

Can you not burn it outside and then bring it inside when the charcoals are ash and emitting CO? Otherwise the room will be filled with smoke, not peaceful.

S

Steamm

Arcanist
Feb 28, 2020
Are you sure that's a good idea?

The area needs to be very well sealed for the charcoal method to work.

Also you don't want to accidentally burn your house/apartment complex/whatever building down.
My first thought was to burn it inside my car, but I think it's even more dangerous, fire and gasoline close to each other

waterbottleman

waterbottleman

Not a person
Sep 30, 2019
My first thought was to burn it inside my car, but I think it's even more dangerous, fire and gasoline close to each other

What about a tent? Pretty sure you could buy one that is well sealed and fit the barbecue thing in it.

Thats an option I considered before I discovered SN.

S

Steamm

Arcanist
Feb 28, 2020
Can you not burn it outside and then bring it inside when the charcoals are ash and emitting CO? Otherwise the room will be filled with smoke, not peaceful.
Unfortunately that's not an option because I live with my parents. I would seal the entire bedroom then set fire
What about a tent? Pretty sure you could buy one that is well sealed and fit the barbecue thing in it.

Thats an option I considered before I discovered SN.
But there's no place I can put a tent, only if I go to the woods

GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Jan 11, 2020
Unfortunately that's not an option because I live with my parents. I would seal the entire bedroom then set fire

While they're home?

GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Jan 11, 2020

Have you read the CO thread? I highly recommend.

You don't burn it in the car, you bring it in when it is ashy and has cooled a bit. It would actually be emitting more CO then.

popo

popo

Jul 12, 2018
Don't do it in your home man. Buy a tent and do it in a forest or something TBH. It'll look more like an accident as well.

Commit suicide, not homicide.

G

Geek1616

Nov 22, 2020
Did this method work? Anybody out there that can confirm.