Crazy4u

Crazy4u

Enlightened
Sep 29, 2021
Prices for many things are getting out of control. Some price changes seem small but they add up. Gas, Rent, Insurance, and Utilities are Up. Grocery prices increased a lot. How are people supposed to afford living?

The media doesn't seem very interested. Politicians blindly blame Putin, COVID, and whatever cross their minds. No one is accountable. Inflation is worse than COVID. The little cash in my savings account seems useless. The stock market is also down.

I'm tired of life

• Hugs
Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, waitingforrest, Depressed Cat and 5 others
Angst Filled Fuck Up

Angst Filled Fuck Up

Visionary
Sep 9, 2018
We are in the everything-bubble. Almost everything is overpriced, with the exception of precious metals (gold and silver are both kept fairly cheap by design). Unsurprisingly they are probably also your best form of protection against worsening inflation down the line.

Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, waitingforrest, Depressed Cat and 3 others
Weebster

Weebster

Everyone is alone. Everyone is empty.
Mar 11, 2022
Wheat will be gone. They want us to ctb or be homeless

• Aww..
Reactions: JinZhin, waitingforrest and Crazy4u
Feeding Pigeons

Feeding Pigeons

Warlock
Aug 5, 2021
I always find myself thinking "We're on the brink of disaster" but theres never a big moment that proves the thought right. It creeps in, slow and steady. I used to think that eventually governments would go too far in their greed and incompetency and the populations would revolt. I don't think that anymore.

Reactions: JinZhin, waitingforrest, Crazy4u and 1 other person
walt

walt

Mar 15, 2022
Me too. I've tried to follow economics for the longest time but I don't really understand nerd stuff like dividends or "shorting", bro stuff idc about but, I can say a thing or two about inflation. Especially if you live in the US I guess.
What we're witnessing now is basically "normal" on the market. For decades people in government have been fighting to keep prices down, but the virus kinda blew up all those efforts, and so some of the prices we see are actually just normal prices. Gas is a whole different issue I don't really wanna talk about because it's too confusing. But in short, oil prices control a lot of inflation. Higher prices on oil means higher cost of transportation, so the venders up their prices when they sell produce because of the transportation costs. Everything is directly proportional to oil prices.
Who you think changes that is up to you to decide since no one really can explain.

Right now, interest rates will rise too because the government is trying to ease off a crash by making us pay more, which is exactly what we just saw a few weeks ago. We're also witnessing us paying the price for all those short term loans the feddys handed out to businesses to handle the pandemic crash, which suprisingly worked when it happened. I am pretty tired of this cycle though.

• Hugs
Reactions: Depressed Cat and Crazy4u
Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
It can be helpful to have historical perspective, which the media never wants to provide. Many countries have gone through hyperinflation and it tends to recover over time. We also have the benefit of having learned from various man-made economic disasters of bygone decades.

• Informative
Reactions: JinZhin, waitingforrest, Depressed Cat and 2 others
D

DeepSlumber

Mar 26, 2022
For the first time in human history,a piece of the eastern Antarctic ice shelf, the size of NY City, just fell into the sea. We're like frogs boiling in the pot. The species is doomed any way you look at it. You could balance the budget in a second doing a couple of things: Reverse that horrid Republican tax rebate twiceover (Under Bush and the Trump), tax internet transactions, get all that offshor money back, make Bezos pay his fair share of taxes (he;s not the only one who paid zero dollars in federal taxes last year), and definitely, tax every so-called religious organization incl. Catholic Church, Scientologists, Osteen, on and on. They don't pay a cent. Overnight we'd have enough for universal healthcare and a living wage, etc. But America is all abt hustling and competition and religious claptrap. Good luck with solving anything. The corruption is so entrenched--Supreme COurt, COngress, the Executive. Another good reason to CTB. I've wanted to move from Americ and its idiocracracy for decades. Tried twice, Didn't have a good enough plan and it wasn't safe and people struggle in other countries far worse than most in our country. Easier said than done.

• Aww..
Reactions: batcountry, Depressed Cat, WhiteRabbit and 1 other person
Brick In The Wall

Brick In The Wall

2M Or Not 2B.
Oct 30, 2019
We are in the everything-bubble. Almost everything is overpriced, with the exception of precious metals (gold and silver are both kept fairly cheap by design). Unsurprisingly they are probably also your best form of protection against worsening inflation down the line.

Semi true here, but even shiny metals won't get you a bite to eat if this global trend continues. We live in interesting times indeed.

J

Julgran

Enlightened
Dec 15, 2021
Grocery prices increased a lot. How are people supposed to afford living?

Indeed! I bought a frozen meal in my local supermarket the other day, here in Sweden, and it was up above 20 % since just weeks prior. However, as far as I have seen, inflation hasn't affected other items equally as bad over here.

In general, I think that we will need to learn to live on a lot less than before the pandemic. Some power hungry freaks are trying to tell us that we will live in shared pods and eat bugs, basically - and we will own nothing and be happy about it. This makes me think that Marie Antoinette's quote "Let them eat cake" is a luxury.

Last edited:
G

Gordy99

Student
Jan 7, 2022
I think the higher prices are ridiculous. My utility bill is crazy high these past few months. Gas went up really high in a matter of one month. Food prices are higher. I just got my lease renewal form for my apartment and the best option is $200 more per month. It's like I can't afford to move again but I can't afford to stay either. Deep down I have the money...it just hurts to dig into my savings to cover the costs for certain things.

• Aww..
Divine Trinity

Divine Trinity

Pugna Vigil
Mar 20, 2019
First it's inflation, then it's actual scarcity. The writing is on the wall for all to see, I've been hungry most of this year. It's time to leave this shit hole, suburban hellscape, I shouldve done it years ago.

• Aww..
D

DeepSlumber

Mar 26, 2022
For the first time in human history,a piece of the eastern Antarctic ice shelf, the size of NY City, just fell into the sea. We're like frogs boiling in the pot. The species is doomed any way you look at it. You could balance the budget in a second doing a couple of things: Reverse that horrid Republican tax rebate twiceover (Under Bush and the Trump), tax internet transactions, get all that offshor money back, make Bezos pay his fair share of taxes (he;s not the only one who paid zero dollars in federal taxes last year), and definitely, tax every so-called religious organization incl. Catholic Church, Scientologists, Osteen, on and on. They don't pay a cent. Overnight we'd have enough for universal healthcare and a living wage, etc. But America is all abt hustling and competition and religious claptrap. Good luck with solving anything. The corruption is so entrenched--Supreme COurt, COngress, the Executive. Another good reason to CTB. I've wanted to move from Americ and its idiocracracy for decades. Tried twice, Didn't have a good enough plan and it wasn't safe and people struggle in other countries far worse than most in our country. Easier said than done.
haha. Apt that I misspelled "idiocracy" while criticizing America, and I'm obviously an idiocrat myself. What a self-burn. haha
I think the higher prices are ridiculous. My utility bill is crazy high these past few months. Gas went up really high in a matter of one month. Food prices are higher. I just got my lease renewal form for my apartment and the best option is $200 more per month. It's like I can't afford to move again but I can't afford to stay either. Deep down I have the money...it just hurts to dig into my savings to cover the costs for certain things.
Holy shit. $200 increase per month? It's a feudal state, I tell ya.

Depressed Cat

Depressed Cat

Mage
Jan 4, 2022
People generally define inflation on the lines of too much money chasing too few goods and therefore causing everything to become pricier.

I prefer the classic definition of inflation - it is simply an expansion of the money supply. Everything else is a result of that.

In normal times, inflation is a tax - a hidden tax, and a big one at that. Governments and central banks simply print money out of thin air to pay off their debts (long term borrowing) and thus release more money into the system. As a result, the price of everything goes up, while average people's income remains stagnant (or may even reduce). Thus, one is pinched hard by inflation, which is also a hidden form of taxation for governments.

However, what we see right now is a mix of both, governments printing more money out of thin air, and prices going up due to supply side constraints for raw materials, especially fossil fuels and food. This is caused by Poo-tin's genocidal invasion of Ukraine, long term economic effects of the worldwide pandemic, disruption of supply chains for certain components (such as semi-conductors) and similar reasons.

Energy inflation affects almost every average person across the globe. The costs of automobile, cooking & heating fuels have gone up alarmingly this year, and electricity costs have also gone up in places that largely depend on fossil fuels for electricity generation.

The world has no choice but to move away from fossil fuels in the long run. While I hate nuclear energy because of its risk and the radioactive waste it generates, I understand it has a big part to play in energy security, especially considering the unsteady output of renewables like wind & solar which make them unsuitable for base load power generation.

I'm glad the world is moving slowly but steadily toward more sustainable forms of energy. The future definitely lies in renewables and batteries. Even in a Third World country like mine, EVs are becoming popular.

Food inflation is going to hit poor countries especially hard this year. Ukraine is one of the breadbaskets of the world, and Poo-tin's genocidal invasion is going to send the prices of staples like corn & wheat soaring. Africa imports ~ 85% of its food from outside the continent, and food & energy inflation is bound to cause unrest, uprisings, revolutions & civil wars in a continent that has seen plenty of these.

• Informative
Reactions: Crazy4u