bluedream

bluedream

Sep 15, 2019
Even with a strong support system, access to mental healthcare, and medications that work, recovering from and managing severe mental illness is incredibly difficult. Without any of those things, it's impossible. People who don't understand mental illness will tell those who have been failed by the mental health system that they are selfish for considering suicide, but those people are wrong. What's selfish, is to expect someone who is suffering immensely to continue suffering simply because their death will make others uncomfortable.

Eventually my mental illness will drive me to suicide. Maybe tomorrow, maybe in a year, I can't say exactly when. But thanks to this site and the people here, I won't die thinking I'm selfish and cowardly, and that will make death easier and less painful.

• Love
Reactions: bigbeatmanifesto, markimobzzdeasui, LoneMisery and 12 others
N

Nati

Nov 6, 2020
Why being selfish is so bad..?
I do believe suicide is selfish. It's fixing *my* problem, it's to end *my* pain while hurting the people that love me.
Still.. Same as you - I belive that eventually I'll be driven to suicide.
I'll die knowing I did it for myself and knowing my family will get hurt. That's sad but I'm not gonna live until 120 like a plant just because my surrounding will get hurt and I'm fine with that, as much as I can be.

• Hugs
Reactions: LoneMisery, arnab, Huntfish34 and 2 others
AnestheticVoid

AnestheticVoid

❤️ Dissociatives ❤️
Feb 17, 2022
Everyone is selfish. Even the most noble person is getting "something" out of their actions.

• Hugs
Reactions: markimobzzdeasui, LoneMisery, Huntfish34 and 1 other person
Al Cappella

Al Cappella

Are we there yet?
Feb 2, 2022
What I find interesting is that no one accuses someone with other potentially fatal illnesses of being selfish. It's really just down to poor understanding. Ppl still believe that the pain of mental illness isn't real, never mind legitimate, and that the whole thing can be cured by just "trying harder". Rubbish, of course. These are all diseases, and some, including depression, result in death. Period.

• Hugs
Reactions: g0921, VoidDesirer22, Huntfish34 and 2 others
Umbrella Weather

Umbrella Weather

Catastrophe Merchant
Mar 7, 2022
What I find interesting is that no one accuses someone with other potentially fatal illnesses of being selfish. It's really just down to poor understanding. Ppl still believe that the pain of mental illness isn't real, never mind legitimate, and that the whole thing can be cured by just "trying harder". Rubbish, of course. These are all diseases, and some, including depression, result in death. Period.
I find myself angered by all of this, as well.

Reactions: Al Cappella
Zzzzz

Zzzzz

Nothing compares to the bliss of death.
Aug 8, 2018
Your absolutely right. It is far more selfish and borderline sadistic to expect someone to suffer and live a life of misery for someone else's sake.

• Hugs
Reactions: Journeytoletgo, markimobzzdeasui, g0921 and 1 other person
VoidDesirer22

VoidDesirer22

A dream inside a locked room
Sep 6, 2021
I always go back to how war PTSD was treated. If it's invisible (which isn't even always true now because we can measure the failed regulation of cortisol in depressed patients and get brain scans) then people just cannot grasp it.

Reactions: GentleJerk
A

arnab

Student
Mar 9, 2022
Reactions: AnestheticVoid, LoneMisery and VoidDesirer22
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
We all have the right to exit this world at a time of our own choosing, it is our lives and our decision after all and nobody else has any say in it. You are certainly not selfish, after all we have no obligations to stay alive as we did not ask to exist. I am sorry that you are suffering so much. I wish you the best in whatever happens.

Reactions: Journeytoletgo, arnab and LoneMisery
A

arnab

Student
Mar 9, 2022
We all have the right to exit this world at a time of our own choosing, it is our lives and our decision after all and nobody else has any say in it. You are certainly not selfish, after all we have no obligations to stay alive as we did not ask to exist. I am sorry that you are suffering so much. I wish you the best in whatever happens.
People love to label things LF. Just let them label us selfish if they want to. Who cares.

B

bigbeatmanifesto

Oct 21, 2021
A friend of mine who knows what kind of suffering I'm in says 'suicide is not an option'. Well I'm here to tell you it damned well is. For me, either suffering through it for the next 40 years to save the feelings of those closest to me or ending my life are my two options.