Sprite_Geist

Sprite_Geist

NULL
May 27, 2020
You often hear the phrase "The world owes you nothing", or some variation like "People don't owe you anything", etc... You also hear some people say that suicide is a selfish act. I don't know if it's me over-ruminating, but I think holding both of those views at the same time is really hypocritical and it makes me angry.

Suicide is seen as selfish for 1 main reason: Because it causes pain to others and damages society... At least according to folks who stigmatise suicide anyway. The problem with saying this, though, is that it implies that a suicidal person has a responsibility and an obligation to stay alive for society in the first place, or in other words: They owe their lives to others. This is a contradiction! If it's true that the world doesn't owe us anything, like the phrase above says, then we don't owe anything to the world. This means we don't have an obligation to stay alive which in turn invalidates the reason why suicide is seen as selfish.

I'm sorry if this post is way too long. It just annoys me how some people are very individualistic on 1 hand, but then get ruthlessly collectivist when it comes to the topic of taking your own life. It's like saying: "We don't give a damn about you, but you've gotta give a damn about us!" We shouldn't be obligated to live in a world that has no obligation to care about us.

Last edited:
Reactions: LastFlowers and TheSoulless
T

TheSkyIsBlue

Student
May 16, 2020
If someone told me it's selfish because it would cause pain to some people, I would tell him that forcing someone to live because you would be sad is more selfish since the person didn't even ask to be born.

• Love
Reactions: _Minsk, Sprite_Geist and Nuggest
oivoi

oivoi

May 25, 2020
I TOTALLY agree with you.
No one asked ne if I wanted to be born lol
So I may decide which happens with me. I have no obligation to live.
I know my death will cause pain to others, but I come first. I don't want to live because of others, this is terrible.

Reactions: Sprite_Geist
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Brevity is my middle name, but my name was TL
Jan 11, 2020
They're both statements that shame. One says, "Don't you dare feel entitled to receive anything from anyone else," the other says, "Don't you dare feel entitled to do with yourself as you choose, it belongs to everyone else."

So you can't expect anything from anyone except, I guess, for them to stay alive for your benefit, even if they don't benefit you...only in reality, you can't even expect that, because you can't control others and stop them from killing themselves unless you watch them 24/7, any more than you can control them to make them love you or not be abusive to you.

Society operates under so many myths and illusions. Recognizing them can bring freedom from them, but then one loses out on the myths of acceptance and inclusion, too, and maybe ends up even more ostracized and isolated than before. It takes a strong person to be able to recognize and deal with the loss of illusions. It also takes a strong person to ctb. It's yet another myth and another illusion that suicide is an act of weakness.

Reactions: Sprite_Geist