DarkRange55

DarkRange55

Enlightened
Oct 15, 2023
Humility is one of my favorite virtues to discuss mostly because it's misunderstood. Being humble does not mean having a lowly view of oneself or disregarding one's positive traits. Having true humility means having an accurate view of yourself. Having insights into your own strengths and weaknesses, your own virtues, and vices. To be humble, we have to reject bravado overconfidence and arrogance. But at the same time we must acknowledge our own abilities. Humility can be defined as having clear self perception.
Imparting knowledge in a gentile way lacking any pride or derision. You don't shame people for not knowing. Nobody allows you to share with you know generously and with genuine care, and love for the world around you. Teaching someone of lesser knowledge without belittling them takes humility. One of the hardest things to do in life is admit that we made mistakes. Our pride tends to make us hate admitting that we were in the wrong. We will go to great lengths to justify things that we have said or done.

"I have no such pride. I failed. And I lost. There is nothing I can do about it. But I can grow as a man and as a partner. My pride could have overtaken me, cause my feelings to fester by throwing all my energy, my whole self into that effort. But I chose another way. By learning from my failure I can become a wiser, gentler man while still maintaining my inner strength. Humility allows us to overcome our pride and learn from our failures rather than being consumed by them."
I think this quote helps encapsulate the point.

• Love
  • Informative
Reactions: YandereMikuMistress, derpyderpins, Forever Sleep and 4 others
Alexei_Kirillov

Alexei_Kirillov

Missed my appointment with Death
Mar 9, 2024
Reminds me of a quote from Carl Sagan:

"There is a tendency to belittle, to condescend, to ignore the fact that, deluded or not, supporters of superstition and pseudoscience are human beings with real feelings, who, like the skeptics, are trying to figure out how the world works and what our role in it might be. Their motives are in many cases consonant with science. If their culture has not given them all the tools they need to pursue this great quest, let us temper out criticism with kindness. None of us comes fully equipped."

• Love
Reactions: DarkRange55, Forever Sleep, wCvML2 and 2 others
Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
  • Yay!
  • Love
Reactions: DarkRange55, wCvML2 and Praestat_Mori
derpyderpins

derpyderpins

Normie Life Mogs
Sep 19, 2023
clear self perception.

Love it. Very important as a goal in life we'll probably never quite reach.

I already can hear the typing of certain users, though, saying "I do have clear self-perception: I'm better than everyone else!"

• Love
Reactions: DarkRange55