obei

obei

This is the only place where you can say “kys”
Aug 4, 2023
Like, how? Sometimes I dont wash myself for a week (and Im a female so Im supposed to look good ig) I dont brush my hair as frequently, I have anxiety attacks frequently and I cannot work for long. I lost a lot of friends and will prob lose a bf over my issues with depression and outbursts. Can this even be reversed? Can I still have a life?

• Hugs
Reactions: Nlis2244, katagiri83, ayaneechan and 2 others
アホペンギン

アホペンギン

Jul 10, 2023
Honestly, I just force myself to take care of myself and look presentable for others and whatnot. If it wasn't for them, I'd put no effort into making myself look nice for them. No one will care anyways if I rot in my room, lol. I'm sorry you lost friends due to these problems but the only advice I have for you is to just force yourself to look good in front of others if you can't bring yourself to do anything else.

imonadeadline

imonadeadline

Call me Line! :P
Aug 15, 2023
Small steps lead to large differences. Taking the time to drink water, brush your hair, brush your teeth, wash your face, and eat snacks all make a huge difference when you do them consistently. You don't have to do it all at once. I relate to your situation and on most days, I don't shower unless I have to leave the house. I've worked on this by at least getting up before falling asleep and washing my face and brushing my teeth. I don't feel as horrible in the mornings these days, so I have the energy to brush my hair and get out of bed.

Again, small steps lead to large differences. It's not perfect, it's not quick. You have to give yourself the time to recharge and recollect yourself. Being in a depressive hole where you've been negligent on yourself is like trying to climb out of a shallow hole. You can't just jump out of it and be all better.

I hope that you make it out of this, and know that you are not alone. I'm glad that you're seeking advice on this, let's do this together.

Reactions: katagiri83 and Harrow
Harrow

Harrow

Aug 20, 2023
I will say I don't struggle as acutely as you with this, but most days I do struggle to get out of bed and get myself presentable so I hope my advice still helps.
Usually I try to knock out all my hygienic needs in the shower, if it's really bad I'll sit down in the shower. I'll brush and wash my hair, brush my teeth, and clean my body all in one session. Then I'll put in all my hair products.
I don't know what hair type you have, but unless your hair is super straight it probably will look fine if you don't brush it for a while. Regardless, buns and hats or beanies can help cover up if it's a little messy. If you absolutely don't have the capacity to shower and you still need to be presentable, "bird-baths" are my go-to. Just wet a cloth and add a (tiny) bit of body wash or whatever you use, then wipe down important places like your armpits. Always put on deodorant, and if you like perfume just put a little bit on (don't try to mask anything with it).
This part is optional, I don't know if you wear make-up, but if you do on your better days and like how you feel with it on, it can make you feel more confident (at least that's my experience, everyone is different). A tiny amount can go a long way with how you feel about your appearance. While still sitting on the floor, I'll put a bit of concealer under my eyes, blush, and tinted chapstick. It just makes me feel like I look more "alive".
These are just short-term tips I have from my years of being depressed, I think Line's post above is a great advice for getting better in the long term. I'm still working on getting there myself and it's really hard, so you aren't alone. I hope your situation improves <3

Reactions: Nlis2244 and katagiri83
cosifantutti

cosifantutti

Student
Aug 27, 2023
I can get up and wash and go out. To take care of myself I really need to pretend more so people don't tell me to try this or that.