lillmonix3

lillmonix3

Death as an end in itself
Aug 14, 2023
How to contact a psychiatrist in the USA with depression, suicidal thoughts and self-harm . And can they just lock me up in a mental hospital?What should I say and what should I not say. I already had an affair with a psychiatric hospital in Ukraine . Then I was sent there only because of suicidal thoughts. I took Zoloft and some other drugs for two years, and even thoughts of suicide were less. But after moving to the US, I started cutting myself more and planning suicide.

A

allthatimsaying

Aug 14, 2023
If you feel comfortable, any possibility of doing remote sessions? At least here in my country, therapists do offer remote sessions.

If you don't give your address, they can do nothing.

Reactions: FormerlyFe(IV)
Holu

Holu

Hypomania go brrr
Apr 5, 2023
How to contact a psychiatrist in the USA with depression, suicidal thoughts and self-harm . And can they just lock me up in a mental hospital?What should I say and what should I not say. I already had an affair with a psychiatric hospital in Ukraine . Then I was sent there only because of suicidal thoughts. I took Zoloft and some other drugs for two years, and even thoughts of suicide were less. But after moving to the US, I started cutting myself more and planning suicide.
Some quick questions. Do you have a healthcare plan? Insurance? Do you still have Sertraline(Zoloft). What diagnoses did you receive(I'd assume depression + anxiety).

If you do have a plan, then simply send a message to your general physician making the request. Otherwise, you can go to a local mental healthcare clinic, and come to some financial agreement for plan or visit.

Also, they can absolutely lock you up, however, it's easy to avoid. So long as you aren't intending to take your own life or do extreme harm to yourself or others, you're fine. I do want to not that I have been threatened with 5150 for mentioning that I have a few specific suicide methods. I was offered the hospitalization or IOP(which is also BS lmao). Basically, you just need to tread around that whole aspect, which is definitely important, but also unnecessary to share for medication or diagnosis(in most cases since some have criteria for police reports).

All that said, ideation, substance abuse, and even SH(so long as it's not extreme) will not get you locked up. It might get IOP thrown as a recommendation but that's really it.

Reactions: WonderingSoul
lillmonix3

lillmonix3

Death as an end in itself
Aug 14, 2023
Some quick questions. Do you have a healthcare plan? Insurance? Do you still have Sertraline(Zoloft). What diagnoses did you receive(I'd assume depression + anxiety).

If you do have a plan, then simply send a message to your general physician making the request. Otherwise, you can go to a local mental healthcare clinic, and come to some financial agreement for plan or visit.

Also, they can absolutely lock you up, however, it's easy to avoid. So long as you aren't intending to take your own life or do extreme harm to yourself or others, you're fine. I do want to not that I have been threatened with 5150 for mentioning that I have a few specific suicide methods. I was offered the hospitalization or IOP(which is also BS lmao). Basically, you just need to tread around that whole aspect, which is definitely important, but also unnecessary to share for medication or diagnosis(in most cases since some have criteria for police reports).

All that said, ideation, substance abuse, and even SH(so long as it's not extreme) will not get you locked up. It might get IOP thrown as a recommendation but that's really it.
Unfortunately, I no longer have Zoloft. Yes, you are right, I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety disorder.But they did not know about selfharm. Maybe if they knew that, then the diagnosis would be different or just one more would be added.Well, I just recently arrived in the US . And my old doctor stayed in Ukraine.And that's why I can't contact her for treatment. Is it possible to get a prescription for antidepressants from my doctor in Ukraine and use it to buy the same drug in the USA?Will I still need to go to the doctors, and it is easier not to get a prescription in Ukraine, but to get it right away here in the US.

• Love
Reactions: Holu
HighFlight

HighFlight

Global Mod
Jun 28, 2023
I had better luck finding a psychiatrist outside the major Healthcare networks. If you have insurance, you can ask them for recommendations. I found my therapist on the Psychology Today website, and she referred me to a private psychiatrist nurse practioner.

If possible, I would suggest a meet and greet before sharing any real details. In short, you want a psychiatrist who is putting your care first and who you feel comfortable with. Unfortunately, that doesn't always happen in a profit-motivated system.

So if you're able, shop around until you find one you like.

Holu

Holu

Hypomania go brrr
Apr 5, 2023
But they did not know about selfharm. Maybe if they knew that, then the diagnosis would be different or just one more would be added.
Wouldn't have mattered much. Too many disorders, including both anxiety and depression, can lead to self harm. As far as my undergraduate psych student brain can rack, there isn't a specific disorder besides NSSID(Non-Suicidal Injury Disorder), which normally is given just as a solo disorder if they can't yet tell if your OCD(obsessive compulsive disorder) MDD(major depressive disorder), or GAD(general anxiety disorder). Additionally, since u got ur diagnoses from Europe, NSSID likely wouldn't be given since it's not in the ICD(Europe preferred) and only in DSM(US preferred). Usually with more difficult to asses disorders(BPD, BP-I/BP-II, ASPD, etc.) it takes time and they will often give the depression + anxiety combo to test meds to see if they work. Should they fail they explore further disorders.

Is it possible to get a prescription for antidepressants from my doctor in Ukraine and use it to buy the same drug in the USA?
If you talk with a psychiatrist then odds are they will review your previous prescription and just give you a new one. That said, I highly doubt there is a state in the US that will accept foreign prescriptions. Some states don't even accept domestic prescriptions from other states. Your welcome to google this for your specific state or even try to get medication, but I doubt it would work.

Kotocrown

Kotocrown

Aug 15, 2023
Perhaps you could look into services for Ukraine immigrants?