Zephronic

Zephronic

Apr 10, 2023
I'm worried about the recovery process, I know it would take a long time, and I'm not entirely sure if it's even going to work for me in the long run anyways. I don't want to tell any therapist about my suicidal thoughts or my self harm behaviors, as I feel it would only make things worse by making my parents feel worse and possibly sending me to a psych ward. Any helpful tips to go about recovery? I want to at least try to get better before I kill myself when I get everything set up, just to see if things can get better for me

WorthlessTrash

WorthlessTrash

Worthless
Apr 19, 2022
This really varies and is dependent on what the cause of your suicidal ideation is. The question is way too vague. However, you can ask for advice from your therapist on how to improve the situation that is causing you distress and go from there.

Reactions: Zephronic and CC123
western_heart

western_heart

trying to save ourself
May 23, 2021
I didn't take recovery seriously until after failing my attempt. I wish I'd opened up sooner, but I was afraid of being hospitalized.

how old are you that you are concerned about your parents finding out what you say to a therapist? Anything you tell a therapist should be private unless you consent to having information released.

Reactions: Water-Lily
hwaiting

hwaiting

파이팅
Apr 2, 2023
Where I live, therapists are bound to confidentiality. The only time they're allowed to tell someone else what you've told them is if it involves hurting yourself or someone else, so talking about suicidal ideation can be iffy. I think self harm falls more into confidentiality, since your life isn't actively in danger. When I've spoken about self harm to my therapist, I didn't get any calls from home or anything like that. Beyond that, it would be illegal for your therapist to tell your parents anything.

For recovery, I think you should give it a chance. I have a lot of trouble wrapping my head around the idea of a version of myself that is 'better' and no longer depressed. If you've been struggling for a long time, then progress will be slow, and sometimes it'll get worse before it gets better. Through therapy and medication, I can say that my mood's at least improved, on average, but there's still a whole host of deeply rooted issues that I'm going to have to work out.

I can definitely relate to thinking that it won't work anyways; my thinking tends to be pretty black and white when it comes to these kinds of things. But you might as well try, right? If it turns out that there's light at the end of the tunnel, then it can be really worth it. It might take a long time before that light ever shows itself, though.

It's great that you're seeking recovery. Definitely give it a chance, chances, many chances, etc. You'll always have the option to CTB, so recovery can really only be a good thing. Things can start to get better, but if that never happens, then at least you've really tried. That's all anyone could really ask for.

T

ThatStateOfMind

Enlightened
Nov 13, 2021
I'm worried about the recovery process, I know it would take a long time, and I'm not entirely sure if it's even going to work for me in the long run anyways. I don't want to tell any therapist about my suicidal thoughts or my self harm behaviors, as I feel it would only make things worse by making my parents feel worse and possibly sending me to a psych ward. Any helpful tips to go about recovery? I want to at least try to get better before I kill myself when I get everything set up, just to see if things can get better for me
I would say telling your therapist is a good start, what you tell them is confidential, and they generally avoid sending people to psych wards unless you're an immediate danger to yourself or others. Don't let them know you're planning a suicide, just let them know you think about it and you can also tell them about the self harm.