TheSoulless

TheSoulless

I'd like to fly but my wings have been so denied
Jan 7, 2020
Classmate is moving in with me and I absolutely hate the thought of having to live with someone else – it's way cheaper though. The best thing I know is to be alone after a school day, now I'm stuck with this guy 24/7. How do you deal with it?

C

Cheza_mus

Experienced
Jul 1, 2021
I am exactly like you and I like being alone only...it happened to me when I was at college and I also had to have a room mate to share rent. .my roommate was very toxic and very wierd. He played loud music at night, was very dirty etc..I remember one-day walking on compound and I would find him putting on your clothes without my permission!!

Talk to your roommate about what you like and dislike ..But what I noticed is sometimes toxic behavior doesn't change..u just have to learn to live with these people..buy good earphones and put them on when you want to be alone...

Reactions: TheSoulless
S

seaweaves

they/them
Oct 25, 2021
After every spell of living with a roommate, I always revert back to solo living, until I run short on money, and then I slide into shared living again haha.

I think it's hard for me to give very general advice, since so many of my social interactions in general depend on who the other person is and what they respond to. But to offer one reflection:

In my experience, a lot depends on the physical space (though not as much as the person themselves). Some of my better shared living cases were ones where we had enough of our own spaces, that we could choose if/when to have open doors, share common spaces, without feeling like we couldn't access a space (for anxiety or for conflict) because they might be there etc. My least successful ones tended to have less private space and more reliance on the shared spaces -- I haven't felt trapped / like I'm hiding in my roosm since I was a young child and my parents had people over. This is not something that's easy to change if you don't have great space, but it's an example of why it's valuable to a) explicitly talk about use of space [even if you want to frame it as "if I had a bad day and needed not to be interacted with, etc, how would we communicate or navigate that") and b) think about even how furniture is arranged.

Reactions: Mixo and TheSoulless
W

waitingforrest

Elementalist
Dec 27, 2021
Personally, I failed at dealing with my roommate. Had delusions they were going to kill me. Reason why I dropped out of college. Yeah I have bad advice.

Would like to hear other people's experience though.

• Hugs
Reactions: TheSoulless
Grav

Grav

Wizard
Jul 26, 2020
My roommate experience was all military but it was also better in that things got handled before they blew up. I'm assuming this isn't dorm life.
1. Do you and your roommate have common interests?
2. What about girlfriends/boyfriends?
3. Who has their name on the lease and who is on the bills?
4. Do you know if the person can behave like adult or is mom/dad going to have to call them to not leave soiled clothes in the kitchen sink?

The best thing I've found is to have some limits/living style (call them ground rules) and while it might be weird sometimes they have to be written out to avoid the "you said you LIKED that". If you're the one on the lease (even if splitting rent) then you really have the power to say what goes if things get wack. But if it was me I'd just have a mellow "Here's some stuff we need to figure out" talk.
Cover (just a short list):
1. Cleanliness and who's responsible for picking up messes.
2. How is food handled.
3.. How are bills handled.
4. Romantic visitors and groundrules.
5. Bring up some stuff you like to do and what you don't like. Even if they don't care at least you've verbalized it. Also find out what they do/not like.

Most people I hear having problems with roommates is because of assumptions that aren't realized. Some roommates were never going to work out from the start and a simple "here's how I'd like to live" chat would have found that out.

Reactions: Mixo and TheSoulless