possessed

possessed

Aug 10, 2024
Let's say a person is determined to die, and the most important thing for him/her is to succeed and not become a vegetable.............

Then where should the person drown? How to choose the best place?

What water type? (River, Lake, Pond, etc?)
Ideal / Minimum Depth?
The size of the water?
Water Temperature?
Secludedness?
Any other factors that makes a difference?

I would greatly appreciate any advice y'all can offer, and including links to sources would be even more helpful. Thank you so much.

Wish y'all the best.

Reactions: Alexei_Kirillov
_AllCatsAreGrey_

_AllCatsAreGrey_

(they/he)
Mar 4, 2024
I grew up on the Pacific coast. It's very common for tourists to fall accidentally from cliffs into swirling ocean and die. There are many secluded locations. This is a method I've considered.

When the setting is the ocean, it would be advisable to consider tides. Planning for high tide would be advantageous.

Placing weights in clothing would be helpful. I have considered ankle weights in my research.

I would choose nighttime, as it would be less likely to be found - both immediately and if help is called. Avoid bright clothing.

• Love
Reactions: possessed
Alexei_Kirillov

Alexei_Kirillov

Missed my appointment with Death
Mar 9, 2024
What water type? (River, Lake, Pond, etc?)
I'd personally go for a lake or a river with a strong current.

Ideal / Minimum Depth?
At least 5 metres (16 feet) but the deeper the better.

Water Temperature?
Under 10 degrees C if you want to speed up the process (you use up oxygen more quickly in colder water).

Secludedness?
Obviously you don't want to be seen entering the water or seen drowning, so the early hours of the morning in a secluded location with little to no foot/car traffic is ideal.

Any other factors that makes a difference?
- How to enter the water. Wading in is unlikely to work, so you might want to find somewhere with a short drop that takes you directly to the deepest part of the water.
- Weights to keep you down and a way to secure the weights to yourself. You can use the formula 1029kg/m3 x (your bodyweight in kilos / 900kg/m3) to calculate how much weight to bring. So if you weigh 70kg, 1029 x (70/900) = 80kg, meaning you'd need an additional 10kg.
- Clothing. Try not to be aerodynamic.

Biggest thing to keep in mind with drowning: if SI kicks in and there's a way for you to get out of the water, no matter how difficult, you will achieve it. Your subconscious will take over, you will not be thinking anything except GET OUT, and you will quite literally fight for your life. I say this from experience.

This paper is a good resource.

Good luck and let me know if you have any more questions.

Last edited:
  • Informative
  • Hugs
Reactions: possessed and _AllCatsAreGrey_
possessed

possessed

Aug 10, 2024
I'd personally go for a lake or a river with a strong current.

At least 5 metres (16 feet) but the deeper the better.

Under 10 degrees C if you want to speed up the process (you use up oxygen more quickly in colder water).

Obviously you don't want to be seen entering the water or seen drowning, so the early hours of the morning in a secluded location with little to no foot/car traffic is ideal.

- How to enter the water. Wading in is unlikely to work, so you might want to find somewhere with a short drop that takes you directly to the deepest part of the water.
- Weights to keep you down and a way to secure the weights to yourself. You can use the formula 1029kg/m3 x (your bodyweight in kilos / 900kg/m3) to calculate how much weight to bring. So if you weigh 70kg, 1029 x (70/900) = 80kg, meaning you'd need an additional 10kg.
- Clothing. Try not to be aerodynamic.

Biggest thing to keep in mind with drowning: if SI kicks in and there's a way for you to get out of the water, no matter how difficult, you will achieve it. Your subconscious will take over, you will not be thinking anything except GET OUT, and you will quite literally fight for your life. I say this from experience.

This paper is a good resource.

Good luck and let me know if you have any more questions.
Thank you for both of your answers. These replies are so helpful, exactly what I'm looking for!

Here are a few more questions for Mr. Kirillov.........

1. Why do you prefer lakes and rivers with strong current over cliffs that fall into deep water? Are lakes or rivers with strong current significantly more effective or lethal?

2. The thing about lakes and rivers which concerns mean is that we can never know whether it's deep enough? Even though some parts of it may exceed 5m according to the internet, other parts of it maybe quite shallow? Even if I found a possible river, where specifically should I jump when I couldn't distinguish how deep that specific part or the following part is just by looking from the surface?

3. Concerning the requirement of a "short drop".............what would that be like? Is it something like a bridge? Or maybe some rocks alongside that allows the person to jump into the water? Also what do you prefer, wide or narrow lakes / rivers?

4. What type of weights do you recommend? Do you recommend ankle weights and weighted vests? If not, how do one attached the thing you recommend to his/her body?

5. A Bonus One, what do you think drowning inside a car? Do you recommend? How would the strategies differ?

Thanks again! Wish y'all the best...............

Last edited: