Status
Not open for further replies.
sserafim

sserafim

they say it’s darkest of all before the dawn
Sep 13, 2023
My mom confiscated my DS Lite a few months ago because she didn't like me wasting my life on video games. She put it in her safe and it's locked up in there. How can I ask her for it back? I've brought up the topic before and her answer has always been no. How can I get her to say yes?

• Aww..
Reactions: ijustwishtodie, Null Hypothesis, idk3 and 2 others
Rocinante

Rocinante

My name is Lucifer, please take my hand
Aug 26, 2022
Maybe offer something in exchange for it, like you will do chores around the house

Reactions: sserafim
derpyderpins

derpyderpins

Accentuate the Positive
Sep 19, 2023
My mom confiscated my DS Lite a few months ago because she didn't like me wasting my life on video games. She put it in her safe and it's locked up in there. How can I ask her for it back? I've brought up the topic before and her answer has always been no. How can I get her to say yes?
You always ask what the benefit of being independent is. . . At least my consoles belong to me. Everything you have belongs to your mom while you live there.

As far as getting her to say yes, you have to deal with her. Negotiate. I know she wants you to completely abandon being a NEET but maybe there's something smaller she'd take in exchange. More help around the house or similar.

Reactions: landslide2, Null Hypothesis, DeIetedUser4739 and 2 others
RemainingDubious

RemainingDubious

All of these lies are not worth fighting for
Feb 18, 2024

Can you confiscate something of hers and then offer a trade when she wants it back?

• Yay!
Reactions: Null Hypothesis, DeIetedUser4739, Contraband and 3 others
sserafim

sserafim

Sep 13, 2023
You always ask what the benefit of being independent is. . . At least my consoles belong to me. Everything you have belongs to your mom while you live there.

As far as getting her to say yes, you have to deal with her. Negotiate. I know she wants you to completely abandon being a NEET but maybe there's something smaller she'd take in exchange. More help around the house or similar.
I'll do some favors for @Rocinante D(S)

• Yay!
Reactions: ijustwishtodie and Rocinante
RemainingDubious

RemainingDubious

Feb 18, 2024
That would just make her mad lol
Aren't you mad she confiscated your DS Lite? If so remind her it isn't nice to have things confiscated.

Tell her you'll stop taking her stuff when she stops taking yours.

• Love
Reactions: astr4 and leloyon
leloyon

leloyon

I'll see you in the Wired.
Feb 4, 2023
Did she buy it for you? If you're an adult and you bought it yourself, that is your property and she is a thief.

Reactions: Otaku, Makoto and RemainingDubious
sserafim

sserafim

Sep 13, 2023
Did she buy it for you? If you're an adult and you bought it yourself, that is your property and she is a thief.
I bought it for myself as a replacement for my lost DS Lite but she bought the game cartridge inside it back in the day. It's a really rare one too and now it goes for hundreds of dollars (Pokémon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Sky)
Aren't you mad she confiscated your DS Lite? If so remind her it isn't nice to have things confiscated.

That will just get me kicked out lol

RemainingDubious

RemainingDubious

Feb 18, 2024
Even if she did buy it for you. It was for you. She doesn't have a right to take it from you once it has been gifted to you.
That will just get me kicked out lol

Is that so bad? You could play on consoles more without any complaints

Last edited:
Infinite Solipsist

Infinite Solipsist

Jun 20, 2024
What kind of safe is it? :devil: Manufacturer and model name?

EvisceratedJester

EvisceratedJester

|| What Else Could I Be But a Jester ||
Oct 21, 2023

Making her mom mad would just make the situation worse.

Reactions: tychai, Cinnamorolls, ForgottenAgain and 1 other person
Infinite Solipsist

Infinite Solipsist

Jun 20, 2024
It's a safe with numbers that you can press but all of them sound the same so I can't tell what the code is
Is it a digital simplisafe? If so, they have tons of exploits. I don't know if she'd notice if you retrieved the DS or not. idk don't listen to me if she'd notice. If it was shoved way back into the safe then there's a good chance she won't notice for a long time. That and you should put it back when you don't want to use it but make sure to put it back in the exact same position.

RemainingDubious

RemainingDubious

Feb 18, 2024
Making her mom mad would just make the situation worse.
Isn't not getting the beloved DS Lite back the worst case scenario?

It doesn't sound like her mom cares about her wanting it back. So reminding her mom what it's like to have something confiscated could make her mom more empathetic

Reactions: DeIetedUser4739
Makoto

Makoto

Look into my eyes and tell me who I really am
Jun 20, 2024
There is only one logical solution to this problem... reverse psychology

EvisceratedJester

EvisceratedJester

Oct 21, 2023
Isn't not getting the beloved DS Lite back the worst case scenario?

It doesn't sound like her mom cares about her wanting it back. So reminding her mom what it's like to have something confiscated could make her mom more empathetic
Yeah, but making her angry isn't likely going to allow her to get her DS back anytime soon. It may make the situation worse even and cause her to take away more of her stuff.

Reactions: Cinnamorolls and sserafim
EvisceratedJester

EvisceratedJester

Oct 21, 2023
That's rather speculative.
I'm sorry, do you want me to just state all of these things about a woman I don't know and can only gauge what's she like based on what @sserafim has said about her in the past as fact? Either way, I don't see how pissing off somebody who has already threatened to kick you out in the past is a good idea.

Reactions: tychai, ForgottenAgain, sserafim and 1 other person
pollux

pollux

Knight of Infinite Resignation
May 24, 2024
...can't you just download an emulator and play whatever you want in your PC?

Reactions: Null Hypothesis, ForgottenAgain and Onelegman
derpyderpins

derpyderpins

Accentuate the Positive
Sep 19, 2023
That's rather speculative.

@sserafim When was the last time your mom had something confiscated from her?

Can she remember how she felt when she was denied something that was hers?
You understand the relationship, right? OP is a NEET with a college degree living with her mom and paying no rent. The mom has all the power. Her house, her rules and all that.

I'm just having a hard time picturing what you want to happen. You want her to go physically take something from the mom like the mom is a child? Have you really though about how that would play out? Like if your mom grounds you, you just ground her back and say 'see, doesn't feel so good, huh?' That's absurd because the child has no authority.

The mom believes the daughter owes her infinitely for the free room, board, food, amenities, etc. I don't think she's going to learn a lesson or see OP taking something as being comparable.

Reactions: ijustwishtodie, Null Hypothesis, Cinnamorolls and 3 others
astr4

astr4

memento mori
Mar 27, 2019
seconding the suggestion to negotiate. ik it means labour (gag) but something like doing the dishes or laundry or smth? or like lie to her and say you'll apply for jobs if she returns it and then just send out fake job applications LOL

NumbItAll

NumbItAll

expendable
May 20, 2018
We need to hold a summit with @sserafim, her family members, and various world leaders to try to get her the DS back. Let the negotiations begin.

• Yay!
sserafim

sserafim

Sep 13, 2023
...can't you just download an emulator and play whatever you want in your PC?
I want to play my game though and I already beat the main game and got to the postgame

AbusedInnocent

AbusedInnocent

Apr 5, 2024
Learn to crack safes, cheap safes can be opened by twisting the open lever while dropping them or hitting them with a hammer, some digital safes will even allow you to reach through the door with a metal wire to press the reset button and change the code.

You could also pick the manual backup.

Make the Lock Picking Lawyer proud.

Reactions: Null Hypothesis and sserafim
sserafim

sserafim

Sep 13, 2023
Which starting Pkmn did you get?
I was an eevee and my partner was a vulpix. Anyways, I asked my mom if I could have my DS back and she said her answer was no until I reached 40 (she knows I want to die before 25) or if I moved out. I don't know why she doesn't want to give it back to me. She wouldn't even give my Sky game cartridge back…

• Aww..
  • Informative
Reactions: tychai, ijustwishtodie, Rocinante and 2 others
pollux

pollux

Knight of Infinite Resignation
May 24, 2024
I was an eevee and my partner was a vulpix. Anyways, I asked her tonight and she said her answer was no until I was 40 or I moved out. I don't know why she doesn't want to give it back to me…
Huh. I always get Pikachu.

• Informative
  • Love
Reactions: tychai and Pluto
Agon321

Agon321

I use google translate
Aug 21, 2023
This is the moment when you need to find a job. When you work, you will have money.
You will be able to rent an apartment and do whatever you want in it.
You will be independent and self-reliant.
You will finally become an adult.

When you do this, you will go to your mother and say: "look, mother, I have changed and become a better person. Will you give me my DS back?"

When your mother gives you back your DS, you will quit your job and go back to your mother's house.

There is no downside to this plan. You do not have to thank me.

I'm a fucking genius. I'm wasting my time here.

• Yay!
Reactions: Cinnamorolls
Status
Not open for further replies.