D

Dolan400

Apr 17, 2024
So basically back in early 2020 I drove into the woods with a gun but chickened out at the last second and went home. The next day my father confiscated my gun and it is now being held in a storage unit.

It's now 2024 and I am completely out of options and my father thinks I intend on getting a job and working the rest of my life. (I'm unemployed and have no desire to work).

I also cannot buy a new firearm as I have been admitted to the hospital on several occasions.

What should I do? How can I bring up the topic of getting my gun back without it being uncomfortable?

• Hugs
Reactions: Praestat_Mori and sdansht
pollux

pollux

Knight of Infinite Resignation
May 24, 2024
He's never giving you that gun back.

Reactions: DeIetedUser4739, Beyond_Repair, astrichaoz and 7 others
Cress

Cress

Student
Oct 15, 2023
Given your history it's extremely unlikely he's going to give it back. I don't know the last time you were hospitalized obviously the best case scenario is it was in 2020 and you can tell him that you're turning over a new leaf. If you just got hospitalized 6 months ago or something it's going to be laughable trying to convince him. Also I would try to encourage you to think about it from his perspective if you do by some chance convince him and you end up harming yourself it's going to utterly destroy your father. It wouldn't necessarily be his fault but he's going to blame himself for enabling you.

I would strongly encourage you to either find another method Or wait more time That's probably not what you want to hear though.

Reactions: Praestat_Mori, Onelegman, Ash and 1 other person
D

dolemitedrums

Student
Jun 12, 2024
I think you should just find a new method instead of pursuing a course where your father will beat himself up for the rest of his life if he gives you what you want.

Reactions: astonishedturnip, rozeske and astrichaoz
Infinite Solipsist

Infinite Solipsist

Jun 20, 2024
Here's an idea I posted in a different thread about this issue:
Do you access to ammunition in your country? If so, look into slam-fire shotguns. It's basically just two tubes, a pipe cap, and a self-tapping screw as a firing pin. You will need to buy steel tubing (preferably heat treated) that can withstand at least 14,000 PSI. For 12 gauge, the pipe that the shell goes into needs to be close to but no smaller than .729in or 18.5mm diameter. The firing pin tube needs to be slightly larger than the shell tube. You slam the shell against the nail in the pipe cap to operate this device. No wooden buttstock is required for this device when used for this purpose.

Super cheap to build if you have access to a power drill but you should probably put some red loctite on the threads or better yet, weld the endcap if you know how to do that.

Pic related would help you stabilize and aim it but you'd need to bring a folding table with you if you plan to go into the woods. (360 degree swivel table vise)

Attachments

• table vise.jpeg
    table vise.jpeg
    169.8 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: Joarga
leloyon

leloyon

I'll see you in the Wired.
Feb 4, 2023
Here's an idea I posted in a different thread about this issue:

Pic related would help you stabilize and aim it but you'd need to bring a folding table with you if you plan to go into the woods. (360 degree swivel table vise)
And here is the video I post every time, detailing how prohibited persons (in America) can obtain firearms. Skip to 5:19
https://pomf2.lain.la/f/cl4q0gmq.mp4
https://files.catbox.moe/g6y39w.mp4
(both are the same video just on different websites)

Reactions: Infinite Solipsist
Infinite Solipsist

Infinite Solipsist

Jun 20, 2024
And here is the video I post every time, detailing how prohibited persons (in America) can obtain firearms. Skip to 5:19
https://pomf2.lain.la/f/cl4q0gmq.mp4
https://files.catbox.moe/g6y39w.mp4
(both are the same video just on different websites)
While I agree black powder firearms are definitely a valid option, they can be relatively expensive for some people ($300+) and aren't available in many countries. A pipe shotgun will cost less than $30. That being said, I think a 12 gauge pipe shotgun is far more powerful than say, something like an overcharged colt walker or a 45LC conversion cylinder. I do recommend everyone considering firearms watch that video though. There's some solid information in there.

Linda

Linda

Jul 30, 2020
I'm assuming you are legally an adult in your country. If the gun is legally yours then taking it from you and refusing to give it back is theft. That's a criminal offence. You could remind him of that.
Why do you want to ctb? Being unemployed hardly seems like a sufficient reason to end your life.
As I have said on several ocasions to another member of this site, you are hardly in a position to assess what the world of work is like if you have never spent any time in that world.
Might it not be wiser to get a job (if you can), stick at it for a while (at least a year), and only then make a decision about whether you want to ctb? The option to ctb isn't going to go away, so you lose nothing by waiting.

Last edited:
Reactions: rozeske
Infinite Solipsist

Infinite Solipsist

Jun 20, 2024
I'm assuming you are legally an adult in your country. If the gun is legally yours then taking it from you and refusing to give it back is theft. That's a criminal offence. You could remind him of that.
While common sense would say this is true, our (USA) government would say otherwise. As of at least 5 days ago, 21 states and DC have passed unconstitutional 'red flag' gun laws to seize guns from people who, "may present a danger" without due process. It's unlikely the interventionist court system would ever punish his dad or order the gun to be returned.

They will make it much harder to escape once you've been ensnared by their system.

Linda

Linda

Jul 30, 2020
While common sense would say this is true, our (USA) government would say otherwise. As of at least 5 days ago, 21 states and DC have passed unconstitutional 'red flag' gun laws to seize guns from people who, "may present a danger" without due process. It's unlikely the interventionist court system would ever punish his dad or order the gun to be returned.

They will make it much harder to escape once you've been ensnared by their system.
I'm not familiar with those laws, but I would have thought that while they may give the government the right to seize your property, do they give any private person the right to seize it? If they don't, then his father is guilty of theft.

R

rozeske

Maybe I am the problem
Dec 2, 2023
For his own peace of mind I'm hoping he doesn't give it back for you to use it on yourself. While am not a parent, I don't see a way where he gets over it, ever. If it were me I would look for an exit that doesn't involve others. Especially not a parent.

Reactions: Linda
Infinite Solipsist

Infinite Solipsist

Jun 20, 2024
I'm not familiar with those laws, but I would have thought that while they may give the government the right to seize your property, do they give any private person the right to seize it? If they don't, then his father is guilty of theft.
The laws were enacted so the courts could have legal power to confiscate guns but I think the laws would support a private person in this case. Think of it as being like citizen's arrest. Whether or not this should be legal, I really don't know. Plenty of other ways to circumvent gun control

Reactions: Linda
leloyon

leloyon

I'll see you in the Wired.
Feb 4, 2023
While I agree black powder firearms are definitely a valid option, they can be relatively expensive for some people ($300+) and aren't available in many countries. A pipe shotgun will cost less than $30. That being said, I think a 12 gauge pipe shotgun is far more powerful than say, something like an overcharged colt walker or a 45LC conversion cylinder. I do recommend everyone considering firearms watch that video though. There's some solid information in there.
Not sure how much of the video you watched, but it talks about more than just black powder weapons. I just tell people to start at the black powder section because all information before that is rather irrelevant (political stuff and discussing crossbows and air guns, both of which are not useful for our purposes).