N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
Someone who needs to be comforted because the person genuinely wants to live.

I recently read a lot about the Iraq war. Then I watched some 9/11 videos and I stumpled on the following.

It is really tough to watch at least for people who don't regularly watch real life gore. The screaming people "We all gonna die" or "I know I gonna die" was really heartbreaking and difficult to digest for me. I almost cried a little bit at the following scene.

3:44 minute "I know I am going die" The probably emergency hotline woman responds: "Say your prayers you got to think positive in order to help the others etc." The building crashed shortly afterwards.

This invoked many questions in me. Did the hotline woman really think she had a chance? I am really not sure. I am not sure how I would have reacted. Maybe some hopeful words are better in the end. I really don't know. Or would being brutally honest in such an existential moment be the right thing? These are ethically hard questions but I assume such emergency hotlines have to insist on positivity. It is probably pretty hard to have such a job. But they are also trained for it.

It made me emotional knowing that these people died and how much fears they must have had in their last moments. Then I watched how Bush got messaged in the elementary school. I think it was the first time I watched it as an adult. And his reaction really impressed me. The man that should have gone to The Hague impressed me. Puzzling feelings.

This invoked even more questions. I really got angry on the terrorists. I remembered the David Foster Wallace essay on 9/11. I thought about the hatred of the terrorists on America then that that hatred on a whole religion/region as response was completely counterproductive and just led to more misery. I had for a short second the feeling I understood Bush's decision. However I think we should learn from his foolish mistakes. So many innocent lives were ended in that war and it just gave more terrorists (ISIS etc.) the ammunition to agitate against the USA. Hatred leads to hatred a bloody cycle.

This thread turned somewhat political. This video really turned me sad. The lives I read in this forum also often make me sad. We all have to remember behind that other profile there is another human being. One reason for me why I avoid too harsh and heated debates in this forum. Not knowing whether one can apologize to a person afterwards makes me careful.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Toy and Sulyya
Sulyya

Sulyya

Synergist
Mar 6, 2023
How should they, hmm I don't know...I feel that the last thing I'd want to hear would be something like 'you did good '. Try to get rid of as much regret as possible.

Reactions: blackhawk2000