N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
Okay they were online tests. But I think in the past I made some cognitive test in real life. I had an acquaintance who was obsessed by his IQ. And it made me curious. I really have some questions about the results. There are very high fluctuations in my results. Moreover the thing I absolutely don't understand they rate my mathematical reasoning as superior to my language skills. Every single teacher I had at higher schools would laugh at that. It is really ridiculous to pretend that.

Many professionals were impressed by my cognitive skills but in certain tests I seem to be not good. It makes me feel like an impostor even more. I read one should not trust online IQ tests but I am not sure whether this is simply an excuse in my case for being not as good as I wish to be.

I have the feeling IQ tests are not that significant. And the obsession about them is sometimes counterproductive. I have met a lot of people who were obsessed by their IQ and IQ tests. One acquaintance once was humble about his intelligence. He called us both smart but not extraordinary smart which is probably true. Though he went really down the wrong rabbit hole in many instances. And one was an extreme obsession about IQ and its measurement. He convinced himself more and more how extraordinary his intelligence was. He pretended ridiculous shit like having an high IQ is the most important thing in life. If you have a high IQ this is equivalent to a great life quality. He became pretty obsessed by it.

I am pretty confused by the results. Because it does not fit to my personal strengths. My results were good at area where I sucked at school. And where I was good at school or college I got bad results.

I already have way way too much self-doubts. I try not to take the results too serious.

I am also puzzled about other diagnostic tests in a certain aspect. I have made some tests on OCD as an illness. And I think I got never diagnosed by it. But it is so fucking obivous I severely suffer of it. One could say I am not professionals so what do I know? Well I was fired from a job for being extremely depressive and I had extremely compulsive behaviors. I checked things like 10-20 times wasted so much time on it. I even behaved very socially awkward because I asked the other staff members extremely obvious questions which I had an obsession about. I can only study part-tiime at college mostly because of OCD. I am in an insane way tormented by perfectionism. I am obsessed by being perfectly prepared for the exams and if not I go literally insane. I check different objects in my apartment way way too often. Though the question in the tests for diagnosis never asked explicitly such questions. They asked different obsessions which I don't have. Maybe my compulsory behavior is too much of a niche to fit in such tests? I don't know.

One thing to add with my acquaintance he also pretended to get better and better results of the IQ tests. I had the feeling maybe the reason for that was that he trained for it by doing several of it. So I am not sure how much such a test is significant if you can train for it. Furthermore it is only a number on a paper. You cannot buy anything for it. And he seemingly never understood that. Such a number is wasted if don't use it in a productive way. And his only goal is to be an online troll and sucking himself off for his IQ. He is ridiculous. He is unemployed at the same time he calls unemployed people lazy. He told me how easy it is to maintain a job. And when I asked why he does not have one (and he is not looking for one) he gave some excuses how stupid capitalism was. Though at the same time he celebrates libertarians who would basically ruin his whole life if they got the power in my government. He supports people who want to implement Manchester capitalism who despise people like him.

jodes2

jodes2

Hello people ❤️
Aug 28, 2022
I think iq is normally measured in an extremely narrow way. There's so much more to life

Reactions: Someone123 and Jarni
TakesOneToKnowOne

TakesOneToKnowOne

Nov 23, 2022
I think of IQ as the speed of learning things/skills, faster or slower. Language is a skill that can be learned, like math. More time applied, more skill.

In terms of analogy, I think of IQ as a processor, or car engine.

In the processor analogy, one processor can be faster than another. But, there is also the question of which programs are running on the PC,
maybe there are viruses, maybe the system is under attack and needs to use most of its resources for defending.
In the car analogy, the car may have the best engine. But, in what direction is it going, how much weight does it carry, on what terrain is it driving?

So, IQ is not everything. From what I have read though, it seems to be the best predictor to objective success.

Most of these thoughts are based on my personal experience and intuition, so not scientific.

S

Someone123

Illuminated
Oct 19, 2021
IQ and similar test do not measure intelligence, they measure certain very narrow bands of knowledge. The most important things to have intelligence about- how to connect well with people, how to protect yourself from people who mean harm to you, and whbat to prioritize in life to be happy, plus how to manage your thoughts and emotions and goals and physicla health and everything else- noone of these most important areas of life are covered at all. Good math skills and reading and writing skills, plus simple problem solving, will get you a high score, and it means nothing. Maybe someday some better tests might be more accurate, but even this seems unlikely.