Istanbulite

Istanbulite

Jan 14, 2022
Mine is going to be 6 years old in two months. It's an ASUS. What about yours? Do you change them often and which brand is yours?

asusdizstbilgisayarfiyatlar_344359654.jpg

Reactions: Manaaja, botanormal and littlelungs
littlelungs

littlelungs

Wizard
Oct 21, 2018
I have a MacBook Air, which I've had since the end of 2015. It's still in tip-top shape - it never overheats and it holds a charge really well. I charge mine every few days or so because I need it to work on my exit stuff and I don't have a power outlet near my bed, but it's more so just to top up the battery so that it's ready for the next time I need to use it. It was on the pricier side but it's definitely proven itself to be worth it.

I also had an Acer laptop before that, from about 2010 or so, and it was clunky and constantly shutting off and overheating. It was fine when it actually worked, but otherwise it was a pain in the ass. I dont know what they're like nowadays, though... probably much better than they were, which is usually the case with any kind of technology.

Reactions: Élégie, botanormal and Istanbulite
Ringo

Ringo

Rabbits on the Moon
Dec 3, 2020
Nice try, I know this is a step to dox me- I have a Huawei Matebook D15, I've had it since late 2020, good for office and some low requirement gaming.

• Yay!
Reactions: botanormal and Istanbulite
O

OrcWitch

Warlock
Sep 3, 2021
I had a 2013 lenovo y500 that I was using up until 6 months ago. Now I'm on a 2019 acer my friend sold me for cheap

Reactions: botanormal and Istanbulite
Istanbulite

Istanbulite

Jan 14, 2022
I have a MacBook Air, which I've had since the end of 2015. It's still in tip-top shape - it never overheats and it holds a charge really well. I charge mine every few days or so because I need it to work on my exit stuff and I don't have a power outlet near my bed, but it's more so just to top up the battery so that it's ready for the next time I need to use it. It was on the pricier side but it's definitely proven itself to be worth it.

I also had an Acer laptop before that, from about 2010 or so, and it was clunky and constantly shutting off and overheating. It was fine when it actually worked, but otherwise it was a pain in the ass. I dont know what they're like nowadays, though... probably much better than they were, which is usually the case with any kind of technology.
I can't afford MacBook...lucky you!

• Love
Reactions: botanormal
davidgeorge

davidgeorge

Experienced
Dec 21, 2021
I've got a Windows Laptop that's about 2 years old. It's good but has a sticky eeeeeeeee

• Yay!
Reactions: botanormal, Broadland, Ringo and 2 others
botanormal

botanormal

Mage
Nov 9, 2020
Mine is a HP laptop, I've only had it for about a year & it's already on its last legs. Keep having to reset the battery but this stupid laptop needs you to remove all the casing to do that. Something must be broken in the motherboard from all those times my mother stepped on it, every so often it shuts down randomly & I need to reinstall the entire system :haha:

• Hugs
Reactions: Weeping Garbage Can, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and Istanbulite
botanormal

botanormal

Mage
Nov 9, 2020
is this for real or a figure of speech :O
I wish it was a figure of speech :pfff: My house is very small (it's a studio) so I don't have many places to store things, I just put it on the floor - but every time my mum comes to visit she doesn't look and just steps on it!

That is peculiar, have you checked the drive health at all?
I think there's a problem with some of the connector things on the motherboard, the ones that connect your power button/battery? The drive isn't good though by any means, but checked it over with SeaTools & windows built-in tools and it's supposedly all fine. There's probably some damage somewhere I'm not seeing inside, because if I let my charge run out by mistake, or not turn the laptop off properly, or even shake it a little bit it just fucks the whole thing :haha:

• Hugs
  • Yay!
  • Love
Reactions: Weeping Garbage Can, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Interloper and 1 other person
Interloper

Interloper

Jul 23, 2021
I think there's a problem with some of the connector things on the motherboard, the ones that connect your power button/battery? The drive isn't good though by any means, but checked it over with SeaTools & windows built-in tools and it's supposedly all fine. There's probably some damage somewhere I'm not seeing inside, because if I let my charge run out by mistake, or not turn the laptop off properly, or even shake it a little bit it just fucks the whole thing :haha:
Yeah a connector was my first thought also. But maybe with your mom stepping on it so often, she damaged circuitry somewhere (there's probably some that responsible for regulating the power to your hard drive) so now your windows install keeps getting corrupted because of power issues.

• Informative
Reactions: justsayin, botanormal and Istanbulite
botanormal

botanormal

Mage
Nov 9, 2020
Yeah a connector was my first thought also. But maybe with your mom stepping on it so often, she damaged circuitry somewhere (there's probably some that responsible for regulating the power to your hard drive) so now your windows install keeps getting corrupted because of power issues.
Yeah probably something along those lines! It often has error messages to do with the CMOS, one time I had the pleasure of waiting for the BIOS to update & fix itself, there's definitely some damage somewhere. Sometimes it'll randomly kill the display & flicker on and off, and just reset itself - I think it has a mind of its own. :pfff: Thank you for your advice too! 😊

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Weeping Garbage Can, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and Interloper
littlelungs

littlelungs

Wizard
Oct 21, 2018
I can't afford MacBook...lucky you!
Oh, don't get me wrong, neither can I. :ahhha: It was a gift, as I was still in university at the time and needed something reliable for my coursework.

(Turns out it didn't matter what kind of laptop I had; I was way too fucked up/fucked over in just about every single aspect to be able to make any kind of real progress in university, but that's a whole other trainwreck in itself.)

• Hugs
Reactions: Istanbulite and botanormal
Interloper

Interloper

Jul 23, 2021
Yeah probably something along those lines! It often has error messages to do with the CMOS, one time I had the pleasure of waiting for the BIOS to update & fix itself, there's definitely some damage somewhere. Sometimes it'll randomly kill the display & flicker on and off, and just reset itself - I think it has a mind of its own. :pfff: Thank you for your advice too! 😊
Sounds miserable lol. Should you ever move on from that one, make sure you take that poor thing out of its misery.

• Yay!
Reactions: littlelungs, Istanbulite and botanormal
botanormal

botanormal

Mage
Nov 9, 2020
Sounds miserable lol. Should you ever move on from that one, make sure you take that poor thing out of its misery.
At work (I work in tech support lol!) we have a saying - if it doesn't work, just toss it out the window & light it on fire! That's definitely the next move if I can ever afford a new one :haha:

• Yay!
  • Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: Weeping Garbage Can, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Interloper and 1 other person
Interloper

Interloper

Jul 23, 2021
At work (I work in tech support lol!)
Oh lol, and here I am giving unsolicited tech advice. :hihi:
we have a saying - if it doesn't work, just toss it out the window & light it on fire! That's definitely the next move if I can ever afford a new one :haha:
Don't forget to drill some holes and smash it with a hammer first, that way you create some larger openings for the fumes to escape from, makes it easier to absorb its soul. :devil:

(we had a dedicated sledgehammer for any devices we had to throw away that could not be salvaged any further (we definitely didn't steal that idea from a movie))

• Yay!
Reactions: Istanbulite and botanormal
botanormal

botanormal

Mage
Nov 9, 2020

Don't forget to drill some holes and smash it with a hammer first, that way you create some larger openings for the fumes to escape from, makes it easier to absorb its soul. :devil:

(we had a dedicated sledgehammer for any devices we had to throw away that could not be salvaged any further (we definitely didn't steal that idea from a movie))
Don't worry, I'm still relatively new so all advice is welcome advice :pfff: Def need to steal that idea, although I'm not sure I trust myself with a drill, I'm always stabbing myself with my dang screwdrivers when trying to open up the tough screws (I'm incredibly weak lol)! Although this laptop right here, it definitely deserves that treatment, burn it's 01100100011101010110110101100010 brain into dust! :pfff:

• Yay!
  • Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Weeping Garbage Can, Midgardsorm, Interloper and 2 others
justsayin

justsayin

Jan 30, 2021

Smokemachine

• Yay!
Reactions: Interloper
Squalo

Squalo

A Fatal Mistake
Jan 14, 2021
I have an HP laptop bought in 2017, two years ago I replaced the hard disk with an SSD.

Reactions: Manaaja
Angst Filled Fuck Up

Angst Filled Fuck Up

Visionary
Sep 9, 2018
I have a Ryzen 5 Lenovo laptop I bought early last year. It's no slouch but AMD keeps putting out bomb processors that seem to get massively faster each year which makes me want to upgrade already. Plus they're pretty affordable. I really like Lenovo as far as bang for your buck.

Reactions: Manaaja
JinZhin

JinZhin

we are in hell
Nov 2, 2021
I have a ThinkPad 420 from 2011. I run Linux on it and had some maintenance done recently and I'm happy with it.
I wish I could upgrade it soon when I save up for it.

Reactions: bluedream
É

Élégie

Student
Sep 24, 2019
I've been using my MacBook Air since 2018 (it was a birthday gift). No major problem so far. I like it. :)

S

Someone123

Illuminated
Oct 19, 2021
Mine is over two thousand years old and I have some files that Jesus himself put on here- it must be worth quite a lot of money.

• Yay!
Reactions: Istanbulite