N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
There was a youtube video about how Tiktok is wasting your time: I never was on TIkTok. And I am kind of proud of it. Maybe I am a little bit arrogant. I am sometimes a little bit conservative concerning the new trendy inventions. I was at the start of the internet not much into it. Now I love it from the deepest of my heart. I was not into smartphones when they were invented. They were also were way too expensive. Maybe it is good that I am not that enthusiastic about the newest technology at first it is often extremely expensive. I could imagine I won't be one of the first persons to enter the metaverse. Maybe I am living in poverty then. I am scared about the humiliating feeling of getting excluded.

Most things I hear about TIktok are negative. It seems to be kind of a superifical experience for some fast dopamine kicks. I am very much into education and you can't really learn much in 30 second videos. Like teenagers get taught that this would be education listening to 30 second videos about Ukraine. I don't want to sound too pessimistic. Maybe for some this is the start of a deeper research about the topic. I don't want to sound too pessimistic about it.

I just have a negative view on short, fast entertainment without high standard. It reminds me how pessimistic David Foster Wallace was about the internet. But you obviouly have to make a differentiation. Not all new technologies are the same. It must be considered from case to case.

I am reminded of two things. For like 1-2 years I was really into memes now I am fully out of the game. It was for too superficial joy. Kind of a waste of time for me personally.

And then there are these happy or life-affirming "funny gifs" people send to each other. I absolutely hate that shit. These are just silly platitudes. But if people like them I don't deny them the right to send them. But I am kind of annoyed when I see them.

I think I don't really belong to the TikTok generation. But I am not sure about the age groups who use the platform. There are probably also older users. It is extremely successful.

Anxieyote

Anxieyote

Sobriety over everything else β€’ 30 β€’ Midwest
Mar 24, 2021
I am outside the target demographic (majority of users are 10-19 years old according to statistics), but I did download it out of curiosity to see why it had taken the world by storm.

Entertainment comes fast and furiously at you from the homepage, and since the videos are usually 10-30 seconds long, you feel like you have absorbed a "bite-sized" piece of media in a short amount of time which makes the dopamine receptors fire off (I always kick myself for not being able to concentrate enough to get through a book or movie, so it feels good to "finish" something quickly and get rewarded for it).

The homepage also endlessly refreshes, so you can keep scrolling through videos without interruptions. There is usually flashing lights, dances, catchy songs, and fun colors to look at. Also filled with "#relatable" content that anyone from a housewife to a college student can relate to. Videos are usually 60fps, so they are smooth to look at, like looking through a window. I also dont have to flip my phone on its side to use it, which makes it easy to jump in and jump out.

I think the app is really effective at what it does, but it's not healthy for the mind. The amount of "thought garbage" that comes barreling towards you at lightspeed will probably lower your IQ and shorten your attention span. It's the modern day equivalent of flipping through tv channels and only catching short glimpses of what's going on. Your mind is going to be fixed on the screen, but there's not really enough time for you to process or absorb any of the information coming at you.

• Love
Reactions: Lost Magic and wilted_biography
GentleJerk

GentleJerk

Carrot juice pimp.
Dec 14, 2021
Lol I've done a lot of shameful, depraved things in my life but I'm proud to say I've never done a Tik Tok.

• Yay!
Reactions: Γ‰lΓ©gie, rationaltake, deleted and 5 others
whatevs

whatevs

Mining for copium in the weirdest places.
Jan 15, 2022
Lol I've done a lot of shameful, depraved things in my life but I'm proud to say I've never done a Tik Tok.
It has no merit if you are over 25 yo, to be fair.

Reactions: GentleJerk
wilted_biography

wilted_biography

Jun 11, 2022
Their algorithm is witchcraft

Reactions: deleted
Lost Magic

Lost Magic

Illuminated
May 5, 2020
I spend enough time on youtube lol. I think tik tok looks stupid.

FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
None. Just reading this thread makes me glad that I have never spent any time on it. It sounds like the kind of thing that would irritate me. I guess in a way it is sad how people have nothing better to do than spend time on that. Very depressing life.

TheDoomedDoomer

TheDoomedDoomer

Eternal sleep awaits me
May 22, 2022
I don't use social media

• Love
Reactions: Talvikki and wilted_biography
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
I'm old enough to be a member of this site so none.

BluesRunTheGame

BluesRunTheGame

Blackpilled
Dec 15, 2020
No time. Nor Instagram, which I keep hearing is a horrid place for one's mental health.

Reactions: Eternally Dottie and deleted
deleted

deleted

Wizard
Jul 31, 2020
I don't know what's wrong with people my age thinking it's funny to do dances like a programmed monkey, but it's ok I never used it and I never will

• Yay!
Reactions: BluesRunTheGame
clown

clown

πŸ€πŸ€πŸ€πŸ€πŸ€πŸ€πŸ€πŸ€πŸ€πŸ€πŸ€πŸ€πŸ€πŸ€πŸ€πŸ€πŸ€“πŸ€πŸ€πŸ€πŸ€πŸ€πŸ€πŸ€
Jan 17, 2022
Im addicted to it lmaoπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚the vids are funny as hell and it is a great time killer