How much luck or lack of is playing into you wanting to die?

• Being unlucky is playing a huge role in me wanting to die

Votes: 34 48.6%
  • Being unlucky does play a role, but not a major one

Votes: 19 27.1%
  • Being unlucky doesn't play a role

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • I don't believe in luck

Votes: 10 14.3%

• Total voters
T

Thatdude

Life is temporary, death is permanent
Sep 26, 2019
So I was watching this

And it got me thinking. How much is luck playing a role in many of us wanting to off ourselves.

For example with myself, I believe it was just the lack of luck that caused me to be autistic, to grow up in an unstable family, to have people automatically not like me, to have an impossible time holding down a job even with degrees, for none of my ideas to pan out, and so on.

Do you think luck or lack of it has played a role? How so?

(For those of you who say there is no such thing as luck. I'm not talking about some mystical force pushing or pulling something. I'm talking about statistical facts of if there is 20 people applying to a job and only one can get it. Then that means there is a 5% chance of getting it. If you are on the winning side of the equation, then you're lucky. Otherwise you're unlucky. And statistically speaking, there has to be more people who are just unlucky than lucky out there.)

Last edited:
Reactions: puppy9, valentine, TimeToBiteTheDust and 1 other person
Jellyfish42

Jellyfish42

Aug 23, 2020
Luck plays a role but it's more so that I'm not an active participant in my own life.

Reactions: SunnyPotato
Superdeterminist

Superdeterminist

Enlightened
Apr 5, 2020
It's my opinion that everything is luck, ultimately. Every aspect of oneself is a matter of genes and environment. Even the choices we make, while being our choices, are not without their prior causes which reach beyond our awareness.

Reactions: Anthagonos, BrokenBeing, meerpasta and 5 others
T

Thatdude

Sep 26, 2019
I'm in my mid 30's, I believe luck plays a huge part in me wanting to die. I was born autistic, into a highly unstable family, in a time where when I was going to school I was consider to be lazy, I can't land an interview even with several degrees, have an about impossible time holding down a job, I try extremely hard to get my inventions/companies/and ideas to take off but they all flop so far, I live with my parents, and it doesn't look like my luck will change.

My first degree NASA was training us to work out there since we were right next to KSC. My last year, the man space flight went into smoke, and so did any job. My later degrees was in IT and the bubble has pop and no one is finding a job without directly knowing anyone. And the people who I did know that I even let cheat off me because they promised me they would help me get a job. They ghosted me after.
My parents talked about starting a farm to help me. The land we talked about getting was sold to someone else, and we are finding an impossible time finding more land. A huge reason to this is my sister's kid told her that the dad was sexually abusing him (he was 4 at the time). Due to this, my mom gotten my sister and her kids can brought them here. My sister and her ex was in human trafficking, smuggling money, and a number of other things. Due to her mentality, her lack of wanting to stop doing drugs and drinking, and a few other things. It's been hell having her here and my parents and I have to spend all our free time taking care of her problems. This means we have 0 time to find a farm, and then much that is needed to be done is just falling through the cracks.

• Hugs
Reactions: puppy9
LenkaX

LenkaX

Maybe there is a hope!
Aug 14, 2020
I think that the most amount of luck is involved in the "genetic lottery". Being born attractive and into a rich family, then you're life will be good. Similarly, being born ugly and to a poor family with bad genes will be a life of misery.

Reactions: puppy9, crybaby, mahakaliSS_MahaDurga and 1 other person
BPD Barbie

BPD Barbie

Visionary
Dec 1, 2019
I think that the most amount of luck is involved in the "genetic lottery". Being born attractive and into a rich family, then you're life will be good. Similarly, being born ugly and to a poor family with bad genes will be a life of misery.
Pretty much this. Luck doesn't really play a huge role in my wanting to ctb but it definitely does factor in somewhere. Genetically I got the shit lottery, bad looks, bad genes over all to be honest. But it's not the paramount reason. Could I try and say 'it's unlucky I was abused'. Sure but I don't think I can blame that on being lucky or not.

Reactions: puppy9
Superdeterminist

Superdeterminist

Enlightened
Apr 5, 2020
Pretty much this. Luck doesn't really play a huge role in my wanting to ctb but it definitely does factor in somewhere. Genetically I got the shit lottery, bad looks, bad genes over all to be honest. But it's not the paramount reason. Could I try and say 'it's unlucky I was abused'. Sure but I don't think I can blame that on being lucky or not.
Why can't you? Was it not purely your circumstances that led to your being abused? Aka luck?

BPD Barbie

BPD Barbie

Visionary
Dec 1, 2019
Why can't you? Was it not purely your circumstances that led to your being abused? Aka luck?
But then it starts becoming that everything that ever happened was unlucky when that's just not true. I made bad choices and made some bad decisions along the way and I need to be accountable for those. I don't believe everything is down to luck. A little bit, sure, but not everything in my opinion.

Reactions: Jojo81 and mahakaliSS_MahaDurga
T

Thatdude

Sep 26, 2019

The way I view it is when something is out of control, then it's about luck. Like if you don't put in for a job then that's 100% on you. However, let's say you put effort in it, put in for a job, and maybe even interviewed. It's all about luck.

Depending on why you were abused and if you could legitimately stop it. It could be down to luck. Yes it's the fault of some people. But it's just up to luck if you don't get abused, if you were even put in the situation to start with, and so on.

Now with that in mind, let's say you gotten abused but stuck it out with knowing you can leave. This means you were in control at points and it's a mix in my eyes. And maybe you could completely blame yourself depending on if you leaving would have a high chance of a better life.

Last edited:
Superdeterminist

Superdeterminist

Enlightened
Apr 5, 2020
But then it starts becoming that everything that ever happened was unlucky when that's just not true. I made bad choices and made some bad decisions along the way and I need to be accountable for those. I don't believe everything is down to luck. A little bit, sure, but not everything in my opinion.
It always does boil down to free will with these types of discussions. I would argue that those "bad choices" you made were themselves just caused by further bad luck. What's your take on free will? After I read the short book "Free Will" by Sam Harris, I became wholly convinced that there is none.

BPD Barbie

BPD Barbie

Visionary
Dec 1, 2019
It always does boil down to free will with these types of discussions. I would argue that those "bad choices" you made were themselves just caused by further bad luck. What's your take on free will? After I read the short book "Free Will" by Sam Harris, I became wholly convinced that there is none.
In some aspects I think I have free will, but other times I feel I don't and certain things are out of my control. I think I'll take a look at that book, sounds interesting. Thanks for mentioning it.

Reactions: Superdeterminist
Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
Stress at work triggered a tiny, neurobiological change in my brain which lead to a chemical imbalance and voilà, bipolar disorder. That's bad luck in my book.

• Hugs
Reactions: Anthagonos, puppy9 and Odd_Duck
T

Thatdude

Sep 26, 2019
I would argue that those "bad choices" you made were themselves just caused by further bad luck. What's your take on free will?

This highly depends. There is a lot of people who made bad choices off of the info they have at the time. If this is the case, then that has to deal with luck.
But, lets say you want to try drugs and everyone around you tells you not. You find info saying what happens. And so on, but you still take drugs. This is walking into a situation with your eye's open, and this was your choice.

A less extreme example, is lets say you want to go home from some store. You know of a shortcut or a different way of getting home, but it takes you through a bad part of town. You know your chances of getting robbed or hurt is much higher taking this other way, but you take it anyways. Again, you walk into a situation with your eyes open and it's purely on your head.

Or we can take one of my things. I'm autistic and wanted to go into the military when I got out of HS. Between the time between HS and when I got my BS make backup plan was to join the air force and become a pilot. When time came and I couldn't find any jobs. I went to enact my back up plan. It turns out that not only I can't be a pilot because of stupid things like I get hay fiver. But my autism disqualifies me from the military altogether. Like I have to have a ton of wavers, and each time I get a CO I have to get another waver. That or be kicked out. And then to top it, the chance of getting a waver is virtually 0%. This was on my head because I could've done research into this as soon as I gotten documented with autism.
Like it was to the point that a month or so my dad kept pushing me to join the military or do some reserve. And after I told him what I found and asked him to look into this since he has major connections into the military. He told me about a number of case studies and he confirm there is no way for me to get in. After which, he 100% stopped the military talk.

But like I said, I could've done the research far far far sooner. Yes I was unlucky because I'm autistic and there was nothing I could've done about that, and there is no known cure. But at the same time if I did my research sooner instead of assuming. I could've made a different back up plan. But even still, I don't think I would've found a solution and ended in the same spot no matter what.

T

TimeToBiteTheDust

Visionary
Nov 7, 2019
You need luck. Imagine practising for many years to be a great pianist and once you start to play in concerts you lose one of your hands in an accident. All your hard work goes to shit.

Reactions: Anthagonos
Superdeterminist

Superdeterminist

Enlightened
Apr 5, 2020
This highly depends. There is a lot of people who made bad choices off of the info they have at the time. If this is the case, then that has to deal with luck.
But, lets say you want to try drugs and everyone around you tells you not. You find info saying what happens. And so on, but you still take drugs. This is walking into a situation with your eye's open, and this was your choice.

A less extreme example, is lets say you want to go home from some store. You know of a shortcut or a different way of getting home, but it takes you through a bad part of town. You know your chances of getting robbed or hurt is much higher taking this other way, but you take it anyways. Again, you walk into a situation with your eyes open and it's purely on your head.

Or we can take one of my things. I'm autistic and wanted to go into the military when I got out of HS. Between the time between HS and when I got my BS make backup plan was to join the air force and become a pilot. When time came and I couldn't find any jobs. I went to enact my back up plan. It turns out that not only I can't be a pilot because of stupid things like I get hay fiver. But my autism disqualifies me from the military altogether. Like I have to have a ton of wavers, and each time I get a CO I have to get another waver. That or be kicked out. And then to top it, the chance of getting a waver is virtually 0%. This was on my head because I could've done research into this as soon as I gotten documented with autism.
Like it was to the point that a month or so my dad kept pushing me to join the military or do some reserve. And after I told him what I found and asked him to look into this since he has major connections into the military. He told me about a number of case studies and he confirm there is no way for me to get in. After which, he 100% stopped the military talk.

But like I said, I could've done the research far far far sooner. Yes I was unlucky because I'm autistic and there was nothing I could've done about that, and there is no known cure. But at the same time if I did my research sooner instead of assuming. I could've made a different back up plan. But even still, I don't think I would've found a solution and ended in the same spot no matter what.
It's not so much a question of what knowledge one has at the time they make a decision. It comes down to defining what a decision really is. I would define it vague terms, as a neurological event in the brain. If we accept this, then we have to then ask; are we in control of that event?

In the drugs example, yes, indeed it was my choice (my brain's judgement) to take the drugs. But why did I choose to take the drugs, against the advice of my peers? Why would some people heed the advice of their friends, and others not? There has to be a physical basis responsible for that difference somewhere, otherwise we would be identical and all make the same good decisions. Similarly, in the walking home scenario, why would some people take the normal route, and others take the more dangerous route, assuming all had the same information? We know that, in real life, people would diverge, some would take the normal route, while others wouldn't. The brain computes some kind of result to arrive at a decision, but are we truly responsible for what decision it arrives at? It is our brain and therefore our decision, but that doesn't mean we (conscious awareness) were in charge of the result it arrived at.

Regarding your life situation, why did you not do the research sooner? Yes, it was you who failed to do the research, but are you responsible for that failure? Okay, maybe you were just too lazy to do the research. Is that laziness your fault? Did you (your aware self) create that laziness? That we make different decisions, must eventually come down to differences in brain structure.

Reactions: Blueman and 262653
Wayfaerer

Wayfaerer

JFMSUF
Aug 21, 2019
It's all down to luck no matter why you're CTB, absolutely 100% of it.

Deleted member 17949

Deleted member 17949

Visionary
May 9, 2020
I would say a lot of small things could have been different to help me out in life, but I don't feel like I've had exceptionally bad luck.

Reactions: Jojo81
EmbraceOfTheVoid

EmbraceOfTheVoid

Part Time NEET - Full Time Suicidal
Mar 29, 2020
Life is all luck from the very beginning. As much as I avoid actively facing the idea of determinism it's reluctantly a truth-hood.

People who write those ridiculous self-help books and pat themselves on the back constantly are delusional narcissists; people only get as far as their circumstances allow. Someone who gets beaten by their parents every day during their childhood is never going to get as far in various aspects of life as someone who had a nurturing family. The same goes for everything; the parents you have, your looks, the culture in which you were born, the illnesses that you have or don't have, etc.

People believing that they have control over their lives is what keeps them mentally healthy and so it ends up being easier for them to lie to themselves than to admit that they got as far as they did because they were more fortunate than other people.

Last edited:
Reactions: valentine, Wayfaerer and Superdeterminist
W

Worthless_nobody

Enlightened
Feb 14, 2019
I wrote a thread on this so I just copied what wrote:

Bad luck is essentially the reason main reason why Ill be commiting suicide. Because of bad luck I experienced all the horrible things, abuse, trauma, bad mental/physical health etc. Luck ultimately controls our fate and our destiny in life..we can only control our lives so much. Luck dictates our, genes, our health, who our family is, who we meet, what opportunities we have. It is so disheartening to try so hard in life...to do everything right and the same as others only to be beaten down, defeated and driven to suicide by life while others continually get blessed and blessed all because of luck. How is this fair? Suicidal people are told to "get help, hang in there, it gets better" and all sorts of unhelpful, vapid, empty platitudes that solve nothing. We are forbidden by society to kill ourselves but expected to exist in a terrible situation. When we go through trauma that beats us down and drives us to suicide we are called a "survivor or a warrior" and that the bad things help to make us stronger...no its driven me to kill myself. Im sick and tired of being a "survivor", and having life test me...im sick and tired of hanging on only for life to beat me back down again the minute I begin to become happy again or life starts becoming marginally better. It never fails...its like life is peeking around the corner watching me about to be happy then it all comes crashing down again worse than before. Trauma piled on top of trauma. A person can only take so much bad luck before they snap and just give up.

I didn't ask for this life..I didn't ask to be here. I tried really hard in life...yet luck determined my fate...and because of luck I choose to die. I just cant believe this...this is life..this is it.....Im just saddened and sick I have to ctb but its the only way.

• Hugs
Reactions: meerpasta and SunnyPotato
valentine

valentine

Student
Apr 2, 2019
I think this is an interesting question. I feel like a pretty unlucky person. Having so many mental illnesses and being predisposed to addiction mainly. I feel like if I didn't end up with these problems I wouldn't be here. There's only so much I can do to better myself. I don't want to have to go through years of therapy and constantly be on medication to be close to normal. It feels like fighting a losing battle.

I really think I'd love life if I wasn't born so messed up.

SunnyPotato

SunnyPotato

Aug 31, 2020
Yeah, the whole "you're the master of your destiny" thing really irks me sometimes- like I'm pretty sure nearly everyone I know is smarter/works harder than Donnie Trump but without that insane amount of privilege, so much is up to chance. Sure we have some degree of power (maybe, still unsure of the existence of free will) but so much is not in our own hands. I have plentyyyy of privilege myself but the last decade has just proved to show me that rock bottom has a basement (or like 10) and somehow it can and does always get worse, regardless of your efforts. I've been so low for so long and my life has COMPLETELY fallen apart in the last month-ish, and I have been dreaming of ctb for long before that. I guess I could flip this around to say there's always stuff to be grateful for even when everything is shit (that's actually a go-to phrase for me when my therapist gets concerned about me) or that it could always be worse but that's not really relevant, just as me clearing my dinner plate does nothing to help starving kids the world over, ya know?

TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
Luck does indeed play a factor in my wanting to die, but I wouldn't say that it is the most important one because I have other reasons for wanting to CTB, to get out of this hellish existence.

ladolcemorte

ladolcemorte

Experienced
May 5, 2019
I have had a fair amount of bad luck in my time, but I have also had some good luck too...

I think it is a combination of bad luck and my own mistakes that have brought me to this point. (Some of those mistakes ruined opportunities that came out of good luck...) I think I might be able to weather the storm of the bad luck, had I not made certain mistakes along the way.

Reactions: Anthagonos
muffin222

muffin222

Enlightened
Mar 31, 2020
If being abused as a child was a matter of simply bad luck, then yes, luck is a huge factor. I can never figure out why this happened to me

yannyorlaurel

yannyorlaurel

Aug 31, 2020
Luck plays a role but it's more so that I'm not an active participant in my own life.
Hate this feeling, it's like I'm on autopilot watching myself drift around and self sabotage every good thing in my life.

M

meerpasta

Jan 29, 2020
Everything stems from previous events which we have no control over, but it's easy to miss that when we're mostly wired to judge by the end results. I'd say the unluckiest event of all was the birth of the universe, or existence as we know it.

Anthagonos

Anthagonos

Hablo español
Aug 9, 2020
I have had a fair amount of bad luck in my time, but I have also had some good luck too...

I think it is a combination of bad luck and my own mistakes that have brought me to this point. (Some of those mistakes ruined opportunities that came out of good luck...) I think I might be able to weather the storm of the bad luck, had I not made certain mistakes along the way.
Exactly the same here. Bad luck plus my own mistakes. If I would used good luck opportunities I would surpassed bad luck.