Tionally

Tionally

bored
Jul 5, 2023
People often tell to take some vitamins, go exercise and start eating healthier to feel better. But how much does it even help? It feels kinda small to the extent of void I'm feeling. But I guess I could try..?

Reactions: Mauve87
P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
Healthy nutrition, a certain level of sports, going outside, spending time in nature all that has a positive effect bc we humans are creatures of nature like all other creatures on earth but it may not really solve your actual problem that causes oyu MH issues, suicidal thoughts and all the like. In the same time you have to address "that problem(s)" that trigger your MH issues.

• Informative
Reactions: LivingForTheMoment, bebebeep, Mauve87 and 3 others
avoid

avoid

⦿ ⦿
Jul 31, 2023
My personal experience with those suggestions are all positive. I still fall in a rud from time to time but continuing the healthy behaviours described below is how I usually climb out of that rud. The best solution (for me) was to identify healthy behaviour that I already exhibited and make sure not to lose it.

Vitamins are suppliments to a healthy diet. But I usually take them only when I haven't been eating healthy foods in the last few days. When I eat unhealthy foods for some time, I notice a decline in my mental capabilities which I don't want to happen. Taking vitamins prevents me from being slower and less sharp. I take Omega-3-6-9 and Multi+ Men supplements.

And I love nature. Specifically, I love to cycle through nature. I become kind of somber and gloomy if I don't cycle at least once every few weeks. When I cycle, I forget all my worries and weights fall of my shoulder. I always take my headphones with me for music but sometimes it's more relaxing to listen to the forest sounds.

Taking a daily shower helps me a lot too.

I hope this answers your question about how much it helps.

Reactions: bebebeep, moondazed, Praestat_Mori and 1 other person
WAITING TO DIE

WAITING TO DIE

TORMENTED
Sep 30, 2023
I have tried all these things yet they didn't do much to help my depression
Yet, I know they have worked for some people, and I hope they are beneficial to you if you try them.

Reactions: Sleepycat and Praestat_Mori
dazed_dreamer

dazed_dreamer

at the end of everything, hold on to anything
Sep 21, 2023
they help me more out of small ruts. i also notice benefits for bigger episodes, but it's not enough to fix them, and good habits are harder to maintain the worse you feel.
running/exercise is awesome when i'm a bit down, but hard to finish out when i'm really off, or even if i do, it may only help a little (if at all). i stopped a run midway through today because i was just too overwhelmed with sadness, emptiness, and lack of motivation to continue.
trying to maintain a healthy diet is good though. if you emotionally eat (like me), aim to be healthy when you can, ie. for breakfast and lunch if you stress eat junk at night

Reactions: Praestat_Mori and bebebeep
G

godsseepiestsoldier

Oct 22, 2023
People often tell to take some vitamins, go exercise and start eating healthier to feel better. But how much does it even help? It feels kinda small to the extent of void I'm feeling. But I guess I could try..?
Honestly just taking some stuff like vitamin D (too much of a shut in with dark skin in a cloudy country lol) and folic acid (no idea how to I became deficant in this) rlly improved my mood so i can see how just doing generally small healthy activities might work just not for me ig

N

NoHorizon

Experienced
Nov 22, 2022
To me it's the most important first step. While it won't fix the major problems in life, without being active and eating and sleeping well then no amount of therapy/medication etc is likely to be very helpful. Getting the basics sorted is like building the foundations of a house.

Reactions: Sleepycat
S

Sleepycat

Mar 31, 2023
Your diet and activity can play a huge role in how you feel in general. Also making yourself go try new things
Depending on your depression, it may make you feel nearly back to whatever normal was for you. Or if you are like me, it just helps to quiet the "noise" but the "darkness" never goes away. All you can do is combat what you can.

Reactions: WAITING TO DIE and UtopianSoliloquies
S

Sleepycat

Mar 31, 2023
I'd even add sunlight, trying to clean house one room at a time but sometimes cleaning the clutter, the piles of rubbish, and opening your windows, especially in cooler temps, can give you a boost.

Reactions: avoid and NoHorizon
LonelyPlanetBoy

LonelyPlanetBoy

Oct 22, 2023
It helped me a lot to do more sports and activities, even tough it was very hard to start after I took a break. I try to eat healthy but I also feel that more "unhealthy" food makes me happy so I still eat it.

But I would say try it and see for yourself. Sport can give you more confidence and you also meet new people.

Ksmиda

Ksmиda

Have I died too soon or lived too long?
Oct 23, 2023
In my experience, these things do help, but only if you're consistent, and even then it doesn't make all your problems go away. I started doing the basics about a year ago, and while I do feel better on average and not as tired, I still have my bad days when I want to die and not do anything.
It also depends on how you think of it - if you think of them as small, pointless things that won't help, they probably won't help - for example, if you go on a walk and feel as if it's not doing anything, you will be less likely to do it again, making it hard to be consistent with these things.
In the end, it all depends on the person and not all of those tips will help everyone, so the best way to do these things (imo) is to not have any high expectations of it being helpful, but being neutral about it. That way, it's easier to tell if it's actually helping you.

Liru2002

Liru2002

Jun 19, 2023
It is for some people helpful. But my experience was that it does nothing. Everyone is different.

Akanea

Akanea

Student
May 24, 2023
For seasonal depression it'll be enough. For deep depression and suicidal people you need more than that, but still useful.