how much control do you have about your lifes/experience?

• Total voters
Bot

Bot

bpd is ruining my life
Aug 8, 2021
i question this myself so often, especially when I get hit by outside events that make my life a little bit harder or less enjoyable..
I'm trying since so long to make my life the way i want it but ultimately, it doesn't really feel like I can achieve long lasting changes, everything gets washed away once a wave comes over and washes my sand building away.. thats how it feels to me,.. how much control do you feel like having over your life in %?

Last edited:
  • Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: MeltedJello, lobster salad, Ame and 3 others
ClownMe

ClownMe

Don't Cry for Me, I'm Already Dead
Apr 7, 2021
It feels like I have basically no control over my life, it's one of the things I hate most about my existence.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: MeltedJello, lobster salad, yive and 4 others
Scribble Fan

Scribble Fan

I'm out!
May 30, 2019
I've never had any control over my life. It honestly feels like a series of random events that always screw me over.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: MeltedJello, lobster salad, LonelyBrazilian and 3 others
B

Beeper

Experienced
Sep 28, 2021
25%

There were times when I felt that I had almost complete control of my life. However, I was young at the time and my mental health issues were not as prevalent.

After the Bipolar demons started taking over I lost control of the major decisions that impact my life.

Becoming manic is the closest thing that I have experienced to being possessed. It's as though I am a completely different person in many aspects. I typically destroy an semblance of "normal" during these episodes and later have to pick up the pieces of my shattered existence.

I have always thought that I would have a relatively short life. Unfortunately, it seems that I am destined to die by my own hand.

I can definitely relate and understand why so many people with Bipolar Disorder choose to CTB. It's brutal torture that nobody should have to experience.

• Hugs
Reactions: lobster salad, Ame, demuic and 2 others
GenesAndEnvironment

GenesAndEnvironment

Autistic loser
Jan 26, 2021
Depends on definitions. What does "I" mean here? And what does "control" mean? Going by my own definitions I am just my genes and environment, which of course can't really "control" anything (using a sensible definition). Well, I am not the genes and/or environment strictly speaking, but I am a product of them, I guess. Inseparable from them.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: bed
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
Well, I can control when I die. I can end the suffering at a time of my own choosing. I do not believe we have much control apart from that, everything is determined by chance/luck and factors completely out of our control can ruin our life.

Reactions: Lostandlooking
yive

yive

life is evil
Nov 6, 2020
0% i think. ctb is difficult because i don't live alone, its the only reason why im still here. if i had a way to do it without the risk of being "saved" by cruel pro-life exploiters, i would leave right away

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: deleted
deathLiberation

deathLiberation

Student
Oct 31, 2021
0%
Others are always creating problems for me.
Like, im ok, not messing with anything, and i get a call or an email or some crap that screws over my day.

I go outside, and ffs i have to encounter someone that does something that affects me. Like, im standing in line of the supermarket, person has to i dunno arrive at the line at the same time or something just to discuss it got there first. Would it take the universe a freakin second to make the person arrive first and then i arrive and the discussion would never happen.

I hate this existence.

NumbItAll

NumbItAll

expendable
May 20, 2018
I didn't pick my genes or environment, so I guess none!

Reactions: TheHatedOne, LonelyBrazilian, Beeper and 1 other person
GenesAndEnvironment

GenesAndEnvironment

Autistic loser
Jan 26, 2021
genes or environment
The Joker Wb GIF by Joker Movie

• Yay!
Reactions: TheHatedOne and NumbItAll
A

AprilMay4

Oct 27, 2021
I voted 25%. Just from all the psychology and neurobiology courses I took, not much. Much of our actions, behavior, and personality is built from a combination of genetics and early life experiences. Children have zero control over their lives, so their future is pretty determined by the environment they were raised in. I used to believe people had a higher percentage of control, but the science doesn't really back it up. Additionally, in my own experiences, when I started taking hormonal birth control, it completely changed my personality, motivation, and energy levels, so I've come to believe that the role of biology plays the biggest part. Genes can be turned on and off by experiences through epigenetics, but much of that is out of our control.

LonelyBrazilian

LonelyBrazilian

Just a boring guy.
Oct 21, 2021
0%
I tried to improve myself several times, but i only ended up making my situation worse. It seems like it all comes down to luck and being in the right place at the right time.

• Hugs
Reactions: deleted
Quinlor

Quinlor

The stranger
Feb 21, 2019
Structuration theory says the you have free will but at the same time you are shaped (or by structured) by the environment where you live and practiced your social life.
free will is an illusion in my opinion, so 0%.
Yeh, free will is almost an illusion

Last edited:
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
I said 25% because even though I'm the direct cause of some of my own current problems, I often feel like I can't do anything about it because my self feels like a separate entity who's out to get me and will fuck up any meaningful progress I make.

BitterlyAlive_

BitterlyAlive_

-
Dec 8, 2020
Speaking for myself, I would say atm it's 75%. In a good spot objectively. Can't help past experiences of course, or the pain, but I can control how I would try to move on from it all. I've already managed to work on some big issues that seemed like they would have a hold of me forever. I know I could also get myself out of here if I wanted to, live something resembling a life.

My life is similar in some ways to when this shit started to get really bad, when it became disabling. It's also pretty different now, and I guess it's good that I can say this is (partly) due to my efforts.

But now I need to decide: am I going to keep trying, or will I finally call it quits and kill myself? Have the peace I've been wanting for myself, and more importantly those in my life, since I was a kid? At least in the end I can say that I tried my best and really did get more control over my life, did some good things, met some good people, etc.

Really rambling but I've been mulling over a lot lately. Gotta get some of it out somewhere. This thread is kinda related and is a good question, so thank you @Bot

• Hugs
Reactions: Beeper and Brick In The Wall
TheHatedOne

TheHatedOne

Death is salvation
Sep 26, 2021
We don't have any control in life. We don't choose where to be born, what biological sex to be, which family to be born in, we don't choose our looks. Later life it stays the same, with all the areas of life being determined by your environment and life experiences. Everything happens randomly and we can;t do shit about it.