N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I am really glad I can speak/understand English. I am not the best concerning listening comprehension but not really bad either. Understanding English is so important nowadays. The best Youtubers I know speak English for their content. Many German Youtubers are so cringe or they simply copy ideas from other languages. Though I think most of the English media don't make a good job. I barely like any German singer/rapper/musician. The popular ones are so embarassing. Though I know there are also a lot of cringy American popstars. But the possible choices on English are way bigger. You can make more money with English content due to the fact the audience is bigger. Especially on Youtube this is really striking.

Moreover I am obviously really glad that I found such a good forum that helps me to cope. Without English skills I could barely participate in it. I really like the aspect this forum is so international. You can learn different perspectives from different cultures/countries. The suicide forums in German language barely have members.
Furthermore I can train my English skills by writing in this forum which is really helpful for me. I really like the English language. It is way simplier to learn than the German language. I would hate learning the German language if I was a foreigner. The grammar is quite complicated.

On the internet English is very helpful If I can't find an answer on German I search the same question in English.

I am using it quite frequently. Or more precisely on a daily basis. But I am also glad I am speaking German. For example the suicide forum studies which I translated could only be found on German.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: edu0z, Slow_Farewell, Praestat_Mori and 2 others
S

Someonewhotypes

Feb 15, 2021
I consume about 50% English content in daily life. If it weren't for work, the percentage would go to 90% English content.
That's mainly because my native language isn't an international language. Limited content available.

Reactions: Praestat_Mori, Depressed Cat and noname223
LoiteringClouds

LoiteringClouds

Tempus fugit
Feb 7, 2023
Hello,

I think this topic is very interesting, and still relevant, so I hope my post isn't considered to be necroposting.

About a half of contents I consume are English, and I prefer English whenever I can choose the language. In my free time, 95% of contents I consume in my free time are in English. (remaining 5% includes text messages from my Japanese friend, information about local restaurant, etc.)

My mother tongue is Japanese and almost everything is available in Japanese, unless you're looking for academic papers, information about very niche subject or language-specific materials (such as poetry.) And many jobs (mine included) don't require English skills at all.

But I have fear of Japanese language itself. When I'm around 20, after years of verbal abuse from parents and teachers, I started to grow fear of my mother tongue. Now, I get nervous whenever I read and hear in Japanese (writing and speaking is okay because I don't use words or expressions which trigger me.) Even a lunch with my best friend exhaust me. I found browsing the internet in English was far more comfortable.

I started learning English at 13, and started to practice speaking in my head at 20. I tried to come up with "How do I say this in English?" wherever I went to. I had social anxiety (now gone) and I've never had private speaking lesson because it was terrifying to me.
At around 33, I gradually switched the language of my inner voice to English, and now, I even have "imaginary friends" who speak in English (this is another story.)

I really wanted to escape -
I had to press on through a hellscape.
Again and again, I've been stung,
By fiends who abused my mother tongue.

My soul has been mended with duct tape -
It's ugly but retains its shape.
I hope, healing process will be done -
With my best friends who love to have fun.

Moreover I am obviously really glad that I found such a good forum that helps me to cope.
This forum has been definitely a lifesaver for me, too. Now I'm recovering, and even found the meaning of life thanks to this forum, but when I joined this forum, I thought I was destined to CTB.

• Hugs
Reactions: noname223 and Praestat_Mori
Slow_Farewell

Slow_Farewell

Warlock
Dec 19, 2023
Good question. I would have to say about 95% of the content i consume is in English. Unfortunately my country is so in love with the west that English is a mandatory subject when one starts school. It didn't help as well that when I was growing up, there was only one kids TV show that was in the local language, while the rest were cartoons in English. There were more local language kids shows that came out while i was already in my pre-teens, but by then the damage was done, in a way.
It got so bad that I had difficulty with the reading assignment in highschool, because the book was in the local language. I mean, i actually had to buy the English language translation of the book by one of my country's national heroes just to understand the story in it. For some reason, my grades were better in the English subject than my local one.

I don't like the fact that 95% of the content I consume is in English, but when I try to view local youtubers or even just watching the news in the local language it makes me feel kind of annoyed because of the tone/melody/accent that the local language comes with, so i end up just giving up.

I personally think that it's kind of sad that in order to get to know my own country/people, i have to get an English translation first of what they're saying. :ahhha:

• Hugs
Reactions: LoiteringClouds and Praestat_Mori
N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
Hello,

I think this topic is very interesting, and still relevant, so I hope my post isn't considered to be necroposting.

About a half of contents I consume are English, and I prefer English whenever I can choose the language. In my free time, 95% of contents I consume in my free time are in English. (remaining 5% includes text messages from my Japanese friend, information about local restaurant, etc.)

My mother tongue is Japanese and almost everything is available in Japanese, unless you're looking for academic papers, information about very niche subject or language-specific materials (such as poetry.) And many jobs (mine included) don't require English skills at all.

But I have fear of Japanese language itself. When I'm around 20, after years of verbal abuse from parents and teachers, I started to grow fear of my mother tongue. Now, I get nervous whenever I read and hear in Japanese (writing and speaking is okay because I don't use words or expressions which trigger me.) Even a lunch with my best friend exhaust me. I found browsing the internet in English was far more comfortable.

I started learning English at 13, and started to practice speaking in my head at 20. I tried to come up with "How do I say this in English?" wherever I went to. I had social anxiety (now gone) and I've never had private speaking lesson because it was terrifying to me.
At around 33, I gradually switched the language of my inner voice to English, and now, I even have "imaginary friends" who speak in English (this is another story.)

I really wanted to escape -
I had to press on through a hellscape.
Again and again, I've been stung,
By fiends who abused my mother tongue.

My soul has been mended with duct tape -
It's ugly but retains its shape.
I hope, healing process will be done -
With my best friends who love to have fun.

This forum has been definitely a lifesaver for me, too. Now I'm recovering, and even found the meaning of life thanks to this forum, but when I joined this forum, I thought I was destined to CTB.
I love it when people necropost old threads of mine. Thank you a lot for doing it. :)

• Love
Reactions: LoiteringClouds
leavingthesoultrap

leavingthesoultrap

(ᴗ_ ᴗ。)
Nov 25, 2023
I would say 90 percent of my online content is in english. I lived in Canada for 2 years so Im pretty comfy with english

P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
Most of the content I consume is in English, maybe 80-90%.