N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I am not sure about me. There are some pretty diametrical examples for it. I like to be contrarian. But one should still not statement solely because they are contrarian. There must a real substance behind it.

I had some habits which were not that helfpul in social interactions. I don't know some forms of interactions feel very strange for me. But with my therapist I trained them and improved them. I don't know why but I often did not greet people. I don't know some social habits feel so artificial to me. But it was a good decision just to do them in order to hide my social awkwardness. They are a necessity to hide my state as a mental wreck. There were some other examples. Like showing thankfulness for a gift of a friend. (that I am emotionally touched by that.)

Maybe another form of social desirability. I have some principles for example on drugs or politics. I can also argument for them and oppose pressure. But it depends on the situation. Sometimes it would provoke to much heated debates than I just leave the conversation. Sometimes there is no benefit trying to convince another person. And I mean that's fine we don't always need to find a compromise. But on drugs or ethical questions I already argumented a lot despite presenting the minority position. And I am kind of proud of myself because of it.

I am obsessed by what other people think of me. I have an ambivalent approach to social desirability. It is hard to describe because it is so heterogenous I could only state more examples. I am glad I changed my mind in some instances. I do things which don't feel completely natural to me. But if I did not do them the communication with other people could get pretty messy.

I am not sure how much I am affected by it on an objective scale. I find it interesting there are science lab trials. When there is a group of people who answer a question wrong the next participant is more likely to give the false answer even knowing it is wrong. Seeminly due to social desirability. I am not sure whether i would resist that.

Last edited:
BEATNGU

BEATNGU

Bone collector
Jun 15, 2022
Shun social desirability if you wish to sharpen your skills in oration and debate. If they can't handle the subject matter then that is on them. They would have found something far more trivial to disagree with if that is their natural conclusion in a discussion. Or don't. You could learn just as much from their response to being verbally guided instead. It can depend on just how far you want to go.

jackie_boy1337

jackie_boy1337

Nov 5, 2022
A lot of people find me attractive and "interesting", so they like to try to interact with me on varying levels regularly, and I cant stand it.

(I'm not saying that to brag, it's just a factual statement.)

It's a lot less emotionally, mentally and eventually physically exhausting if you're just true to yourself and don't engage with them at all, unless you want to.