N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
Today The Pale King from David Foster Wallace arrived. The book is large as a brick. Roundabout 548 pages.
Not sure whether I will fully read it but from DFW's work I am kind of a collector. Usually I don't collect anything except medication. lol. Concerning medication I am scared about supply chains. I am fully dependent on my medication so I have a reserve for more than a year.

I had this idea because in a show I have watched they compared the size old encyclopedias with wikipedia.
I did not guess because I probably would have been completely wrong.

Here is a quote from the internet with the wikipedia comparison.

I quote
"One thousand volumes, 1,200 pages each — more than one million pages in all — about 80 meters of shelf space. That's what it would take to make a printed version of Wikipedia. The idea is to let people see just how much information is in the online encyclopedia, says Christoph Kepper and his partners at Pediapress."

"Nowadays you just use Wikipedia every day without even thinking how large that might be ... the English Wikipedia has 4.5 million articles,"

This forum has 95 k threads and 1,7 million posts. I know a thread is not comparable to a wikipedia article. Let's use a book with 1.200 pages.
I am still scared to guess because I am probably completely wrong on it.

Let's say 300 volumes. My personal guess would be way higher but the wikipedia comparison surprised me. The size of the text would be average.

What is your guess?

Last edited:
Reactions: Forever Sleep
Rainy_days

Rainy_days

Experienced
Dec 21, 2022
would be (avg words per post * 1.7m/avg words per page/1200) yeah? just have to estimate average words per post and average words per page.

I made lazy guess of 100 words per post and 1000 words per page and got 142.