• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

B

Byebyemap

Dec 4, 2023
I feel like it should be at least a year? Before you decide.

What do you think?

Reactions: sserafim
P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
That's a pretty difficult question and there cannot be a general answer how long someone should wait. It pretty much depends on the personal circumstances how constant suicidal thoughts become over time. Sometimes people suffer from suicidal thoughts for decades.

Reactions: sserafim, Silent Raindrops and rozeske
dinosavr

dinosavr

and if i’m turning blue please don’t save me 🌛
Dec 14, 2023
It all depends on your reasons, on how much you believe it's a symptom of an illness or disorder and how much you're willing to try before deciding on ctb (therapy, antidepressants, etc).
I don't know, maybe there are people who think of it and immediately do it, on the very same day. But I believe most of us has been in this position for years now. And it's still really difficult to make a decision.

• Love
Reactions: sserafim, fleshgarden, Silent Raindrops and 1 other person
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
It's really hard to say. It depends on a person's circumstances. If someone is in unbearable pain and there isn't a cure, why would they stick around for a year even?

I think in terms of an assisted suicide programme, unless the circumstances are dire, there should be a six month waiting period in which time, the person is offered but not forced to accept help, to try to avoid any impulsive attempts. As a legalised, regulated 'service', I think that is important because it's hard to rule out the possibility of impulsive suicides.

But, it's so hard to say really. It kind of assumes that all people have the potential to 'recover'. Do they? I don't know. What if they themselves have lost all hope? Presumably, they are at that point if they feel sure they want to die. They must in fact be feeling fairly sure about it I imagine. So- then- how do you give a person back hope? What should they be doing in that year to improve their circumstances? If anything.

Is it more that they should ruminate on those thoughts for a year or that they ought to be taking action to improve their life? What if they don't want to do those things? Surely- if they don't take action, won't they just stay in the same place? So, now it becomes: not only do they have to stick around for a year. They have to try and 'recover'. Otherwise, what's the point? To check that they are sure maybe? It's tricky to slap stipulations on other people when you don't know their circumstances though.

I've had ideation to varying intensities for 34 years. Likely longer than a lot of people's entire lives on here! So, mine definitely won't be some impulsive decision- if I ever do it. Plenty of people here have had ideation for years. I'd hazzard a guess that long-term ideation is perhaps more common than impulsive atrempts. I'd love to know if that was the case.

I agree, it shouldn't be an impulsive decision but I expect we're all different in how we see life and our place in it. Insisting that we comply to certain time frames makes the assumption that: 1) Everyone can in fact 'recover'. 2) It will feel worth the effort to them to do so. 3) Life has a definite value. Otherwise- why would it matter? That's not to be confused with rights though. It does matter when people murder. But- if we can't 'murder' ourselves and we are conditioned over how long we should wait etc. who do our lives belong to?

Sure, we don't live in isolation. Our suicides will likely affect other people negatively. So yes- it needs to be something that is considered but- do we owe it to others to live a life we find intolerable- sonetimes even excruciatingly painful- just for them? Is that reasonable to ask of us?

Besides actually, I have a suspicion that most people who suicide have thought about it a lot in the past. I doubt there are all that many snap decisions and if there are- it's maybe because someone was backed into a corner. Some people have CTB to avoid prison or homelessness or illness. So- what's the answer? They should try out prison or homelessness or severe illness for a year?!! I don't think we always have to experience something to know we won't like it!

I do understand your point of view by the way but, it's tricky really to apply to people. Ultimately, there may be plenty of people where we don't really quite understand the severity they feel of their motive to CTB. No matter how long they have had ideation. But ultimately- we're not them. Do any of us have the right to judge what someone else feels and decides they aren't willing to cope with?

I think officially speaking ie. assisted suicide- yes, there needs to be gate keeping and rules just to make it sustainable. It won't last long if they start handing out Nembutal to healthy minors, no questions asked. But, on an individual basis via a DIY method- it's much harder because ultimately, it means we start to decide we know best for other people when really, we don't know at all. It's different if they're still open to being helped of course but- not all people are. If they are certain they want to CTB, that seems to imply they don't want help- so, then it becomes force unfortunately.

Sorry for the essay! I got carried away...

Reactions: sserafim, Silent Raindrops and Byebyemap
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
I don't understand this thread because if one wishes to cease existing on their own terms that's their personal decision, it's not something for other people to have a say in. Nobody consented to existing here in the first place and nobody is obligated to continue, we are all just going to die anyway so it should be up to the individual when that is as after all only they are experiencing their existence, under no circumstances should anyone be forced to delay their inevitable fate.

Reactions: sserafim, Silent Raindrops and divinemistress36
U

UKscotty

Doesn't read PMs
May 20, 2021
I guess it depends when someone has exhausted all other options.

We only use suicide as a last resort, I doubt many healthy normal people just wake up one day and hang themselves.

I'd suspect it takes the brain many years to overcome the SI.

You hear of like 11 year olds who CTB so I guess it can take as little as a couple of years.

Reactions: sserafim and divinemistress36
E

eashanm

Master
Feb 22, 2023
I'd say 3-6 months is enough to prepare. Though you could extend it to year

Reactions: sserafim and divinemistress36
kedxCrestMOon5

kedxCrestMOon5

Nov 25, 2023
I started having intense CTB thoughts when I was 10 or 11 or 12 idk, in between them.
I would just chicken out at the last moment,
Eventually I chose life over CTB..... idk, it might sound cringy for a kid having thought about CTB and I have not suffering enough for having more intense CTB thoughts ?
I just fear the dissipasion of my consiousness over anything else, this body could go to damnation for all I care about.

Linda

Linda

Jul 30, 2020
That's a bit like asking: How long is a piece of string? Everyone's situation is different. The only person who can answer that question for your case is you.

MatrixPrisoner

MatrixPrisoner

Enlightened
Jul 8, 2023
I don't think time is the proper metric. I think tolerance for life is the deciding factor. Complete loss of tolerance can happen gradually as well as overnight. Everyone's scenario is different.

Reactions: sserafim, femmedelaville, Byebyemap and 1 other person
femmedelaville

femmedelaville

Feb 9, 2024
Time is relative, but I think waiting some time after the initial impulse makes it more apparent whether it is a fleeting or permanent mindset. easier to then CTB

Reactions: divinemistress36