N

nothingchanges

Student
Sep 11, 2020
does sn have an expiry? i got mine a few weeks ago and wanna know how long it'll still be good for

StuFin

StuFin

Arcanist
Oct 21, 2020
Ages. 3 years if I remember rightly.

Reactions: sadworld, SmellyRat and Homecoming
Gnip

Gnip

Bill the Cat
Oct 10, 2020
I have a Food Saver Vacuum Sealer, so wondering if vacuum sealing SN containers inside one of those bags, then additionally sealing that bag inside an additional black bag might extend shelf life.

H

Homecoming

Wizard
Aug 14, 2020
5 to 10 years, and please take into consideration of how you properly store it away from direct sunlight, heat, and the most important one: your room humidity (where you store the SN)!

Last edited:
Reactions: LastFlowers
G

Ghost2211

Archangel
Jan 20, 2020
Curing salts do not really expire. The bane of their existence however is moisture.

Reactions: LastFlowers, sadworld, timetofly and 1 other person
G

Ghost2211

Archangel
Jan 20, 2020
Moisture is a BIG no no for SN!
Yep, cool dark dry place. The 3 year expiration is Because it is being used as food with food. It's still plenty poisonous, even after being opened. Supplies seem limited... I wouldn't get rid of it for it getting yellow or clumpy. Ugly SN needs love too.

• Love
Reactions: Deleted member 94, choosingmydestiny, Lostandlooking and 3 others
timetofly

timetofly

Student
Aug 8, 2020
The 3 year expiration is mostly government mandated and has nothing to do with a real expiration date. @RoseyBird is correct that it has almost an indefinite shelf life.

Something to consider:

I just found this information, and I think it is important:

On the other hand, E. Divers3, Sir P. C. Rây4, C. Russworm5, M. Oswald6, and others observed no oxidation of solutions of nitrites in air. C. Matignon and G. Marchal7 reported that an aqueous solution of sodium nitrite is not oxidised by prolonged contact with oxygen, under a pressure of 50–55 atmospheres, even in the presence of a catalyst. But when the pressure is raised to 175 atmospheres and temperature to 395°–530°, solid sodium nitrite is almost completely oxidised to nitrate.

So in normal conditions oxidation won't happen, it would happen in extreme pressure and temperature.

Reactions: Deleted member 94, sadworld, Ghost2211 and 1 other person
Weary Soul

Weary Soul

Soon I will be free
Nov 13, 2019
You can search online for the shelf-life of SN.

choosingmydestiny

choosingmydestiny

Jun 1, 2020
hi peeps!

My SN is kept in the back of my closet. It came in an airtight ziplock bag with a second one around it, and I put a 3rd ziplock around it, lol. I never openend the airtight bag (first one).
So now the SN is in 3 ziplock bags. For safety against breakage I put this in an empty tin cookie jar.... Bought the SN in June of this year from a polish vendor. I assumed it would stay good until 2022/2023 at least... any opinions on this? I am kind of dumb with this stuff :p

wishing everyone a sane and peaceful day!

Reactions: Metalhead