BitterlyAlive

BitterlyAlive

---
Apr 8, 2020
I slept for two or three consistent hours today. That's better than I usually sleep at night wtf

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: Deleted member 4993, Deleted member 17331, Valon and 2 others
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
For me, it's because when it's nighttime I'm too scared to fall asleep. Even if I turn lights on I get scared that it will attract demons or other horrifying entities to me like moths to a flame (both of which I am also terrified of). My brain just decided it doesn't feel safe to let its guard down until daylight. Might be an evolutionary thing since in early human tribes, some members had nocturnal sleeping patterns so they could keep watch for the rest of their tribe.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: Myforevercharlie, Deleted member 4993, Deleted member 17331 and 3 others
BitterlyAlive

BitterlyAlive

---
Apr 8, 2020
For me, it's because when it's nighttime I'm too scared to fall asleep. Even if I turn lights on I get scared that it will attract demons or other horrifying entities to me like moths to a flame (both of which I am also terrified of). My brain just decided it doesn't feel safe to let its guard down until daylight. Might be an evolutionary thing since in early human tribes, some members had nocturnal sleeping patterns so they could keep watch for the rest of their tribe.
I have the same worries sometimes! It's usually if I've been awake for 24+ hours. Trying to do anything with those fears is impossible.

Is that really normal anxiety? My doctor would likely say so but...idk

Reactions: Deleted member 4993, Stick and Dr Iron Arc
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
I have the same worries sometimes! It's usually if I've been awake for 24+ hours. Trying to do anything with those fears is impossible.

Is that really normal anxiety? My doctor would likely say so but...idk
Staying awake for longer periods of time is known to increase feeling anxiety and can even lead to sleep paralysis being more likely to occur so yeah. I don't take any meds though but I've been diagnosed for anxiety before so it's possible.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: Deleted member 4993, Deleted member 17331, Stick and 1 other person
BitterlyAlive

BitterlyAlive

---
Apr 8, 2020
Staying awake for longer periods of time is known to increase feeling anxiety and can even lead to sleep paralysis being more likely to occur so yeah. I don't take any meds though but I've been diagnosed for anxiety before so it's possible.
Sleep paralysis sounds like one of the worst experiences ever. shudders

Reactions: Deleted member 4993
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
Sleep paralysis sounds like one of the worst experiences ever. shudders
Yeah it's miserable. Fortunately I've experienced it so much that I stopped actually seeing scary things and instead my body puts me in scary situations (people kidnapping me or an earthquake making the ceiling fall and crush me) that would trick me into believing I can't move.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: Deleted member 4993, Deleted member 17331, BitterlyAlive and 1 other person
Stick

Stick

Experienced
Aug 31, 2020
God, insomnia is awful. I can't do anything if I don't sleep well for even one night, much less days on end.
Is it possible you associate something with nighttime that requires you to be awake? For example, I used to go on walks at night because it is so hot where I live, but then after a while, I began to feel really energized when nighttime came because my brain associated night with exercise. It might be possible too that it is simply a matter of routine, as in you got used to doing things that required energy or alertness at nighttime, forcing you to sleep in the day, and then forcing you to associate daytime with sleep, worsening it.
Also, in regards to being afraid at night, could you buy a nightlight? I know it might sound dumb but if it works it works.
I know that this is a vent, but just trying to throw out suggestions.

Reactions: Deleted member 4993 and Dr Iron Arc
Racon

Racon

Student
Aug 29, 2020
All of our circadian clocks are tuned a bit differently. Being a night-owl or a morning person could be a matter of genetics.

Reactions: Dreamless Sleep, Deleted member 4993, BitterlyAlive and 4 others
Valon

Valon

Sep 14, 2020
I definitely feel like it's in my nature to be nocturnal but because of my work, I'm forced to be up during the day. It really sucks. I do agree there may be a genetic factor.

• Hugs
Reactions: BitterlyAlive and Dr Iron Arc
BitterlyAlive

BitterlyAlive

---
Apr 8, 2020
All of our circadian clocks are tuned a bit differently. Being a night-owl or a morning person could be a matter of genetics.
True. But I wasn't like this until the double depression. I slept much better at night among other things
God, insomnia is awful. I can't do anything if I don't sleep well for even one night, much less days on end.
Is it possible you associate something with nighttime that requires you to be awake? For example, I used to go on walks at night because it is so hot where I live, but then after a while, I began to feel really energized when nighttime came because my brain associated night with exercise. It might be possible too that it is simply a matter of routine, as in you got used to doing things that required energy or alertness at nighttime, forcing you to sleep in the day, and then forcing you to associate daytime with sleep, worsening it.
Also, in regards to being afraid at night, could you buy a nightlight? I know it might sound dumb but if it works it works.
I know that this is a vent, but just trying to throw out suggestions.
Nah, suggestions are fine. I don't care what people post as long as it isn't rude. I've tried recently to draw or journal before bed, but it hasn't helped yet. We'll see. The nightlight is a good idea. Atm I feel okay at night but if the crazy nighttime anxiety starts up again I'll treat myself and buy a cute one online

Last edited:
Reactions: Deleted member 4993 and ArtsyDrawer
A

ArtsyDrawer

Enlightened
Nov 8, 2018
True. But I wasn't like this until the double depression. I slept much better at night among other things

Nah, suggestions are fine. I don't care what people post as long as it isn't rude. I've tried recently to draw or journal before bed, but it hasn't helped yet. We'll see. The nightlight is a good idea. Atm I feel okay at night but if the crazy nighttime anxiety starts up again I'll treat myself and buy a cute one online
I'm now pondering a night light. Or keep my bathroom light on. I'm a frequent flier in the hospital's neurology/epileptology wing for EEG and MRI. I sleep in a lot of magnets nowadays. They never turn lights off, but do dim them. In the hospital I can sleep through mortar fire. The light has to be yellow-ish, though. I'll experiment on the weekend and report with results.

• Hugs
Reactions: Deleted member 4993 and BitterlyAlive
Myforevercharlie

Myforevercharlie

Global Mod
Feb 13, 2020
For me it's because I'm afraid to fall asleep. And in my mind, dark=nighttime=most sleep.

• Hugs
Reactions: Deleted member 4993 and BitterlyAlive
Dreamless Sleep

Dreamless Sleep

The eternal night before chaos...
Feb 1, 2020
I've always been a night owl... liked staying up late and hated mornings/getting up early for work. Many years ago I got a job working graveyard and it's worked out well for me. I definitely sleep better during the day.

For me, I think part of it is also that I have a lot of anxiety and nonsensical worry about the world in general... like people breaking into your house in the middle of the night, etc. So when I'm up all night I feel safer and I sleep better knowing bad things happen less during the day.

Reactions: BitterlyAlive, blackballoon and Deleted member 4993
Wayfaerer

Wayfaerer

JFMSUF
Aug 21, 2019
I'm the same. I like the calm and stillness of night. I also have light [blue] eyes and I hate the excessive sunshine where I'm from so god damn much. I feel like I have to squint whenever I leave the house.

That's interesting because I never experienced sleep paralysis before until early last year when I was going months at a time with very little sleep. The feeling of immobilization can make one feel panicky.

Reactions: BitterlyAlive
BitterlyAlive

BitterlyAlive

---
Apr 8, 2020
I'm the same. I like the calm and stillness of night. I also have light [blue] eyes and I hate the excessive sunshine where I'm from so god damn much. I feel like I have to squint whenever I leave the house.

That's interesting because I never experienced sleep paralysis before until early last year when I was going months at a time with very little sleep. The feeling of immobilization can make one feel panicky.
Guess I've been lucky. Never had sleep paralysis. It sounds horrifying.
I've always been a night owl... liked staying up late and hated mornings/getting up early for work. Many years ago I got a job working graveyard and it's worked out well for me. I definitely sleep better during the day.

For me, I think part of it is also that I have a lot of anxiety and nonsensical worry about the world in general... like people breaking into your house in the middle of the night, etc. So when I'm up all night I feel safer and I sleep better knowing bad things happen less during the day.
The fears, man. I had an anxiety attack last night because my brain decided to fixate on a fear and convinced me that my fear was right there in the room with me, that it would attack the second I let my guard down. At least during the day, as you said, bad things are less likely to happen...and the darkness is fuel for anxiety.

Last edited:
XYZ

XYZ

I just can’t get these damn wrists to bleed
Jul 22, 2020
I slept for two or three consistent hours today. That's better than I usually sleep at night wtf

I ask myself the same thing. Why am I wide awake at night but dead tired during the day? It's not like I sleep late, I'm always at work at 8 am sharp.

Fucking brain messing with me.

My theory is that I can't sleep because my brain is overwhelmed with anxiety and depression. But that doesn't explain why I am sleepy during day time but not at night.

Reactions: BitterlyAlive