• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
I'm sure most of you have heard the money cannot buy happiness sayings, but also the other side of money is important, or similar quotes like that. However, I have a rather mixed feeling about it, like it is important depending on the context, but in other situations, not so much. So with that said, here's my two cents (no pun intended) on what I think about money and wealth in general.

I see money as a means to an end. It can help me obtain what I need and to some degree, enjoyable experiences and material items. However, it is not the end all be all for me as there are other things that matter too, such as being able to pursue a hobby, having decent enough health to do so and do the things I want to do (the way I want to). I don't really care for making six figures or necessarily having a boatload of wealth, but definitely enough to live comfortably, afford the methods that I want to ctb with (firearm and what not), and get around a bit. While I say this, I don't mean that having no money is ok, that would suck just as badly too (perhaps worse) because then I would have few options, limited to what I can/cannot do, and essentially be trapped.

Tl;dr - being a rich wage slave isn't the way to go, but being a moneyless slave and living like a hobo isn't good either. Having enough money to pursue one's goals as well as affording good exits is ideal.

What are your thoughts on this?

Reactions: temp1234, sólstafir, Weeping Garbage Can and 3 others
therhydler

therhydler

Enlightened
Dec 7, 2018
Right now money would be gold to me because it would mean I could get N and have a peaceful death. Before money never mattered that much but now it could magically take away a load of suffering...

Reactions: azucaramargo, Sinbad, Weeping Garbage Can and 3 others
L

Lefty

Mage
Dec 7, 2018
I don't think I'd be depressed or suicidal if I was rich or had tons of money. I think money does buy happiness because if you have all the money you want/need, you can get whatever you want or need. I know that's a very simple explanation, while I could go on, I'll keep it simple for now.

Reactions: temp1234, esclava, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and 3 others
[NoName]

[NoName]

Student
Nov 15, 2018
Money doesn't buy happiness, but it can buy what is needed.

Time and energy.

Just imagine all the time and energy you've spent on figuring out your finances alone.

All the math, budgeting, worrying, etc.

If you had a bunch of money, you'd just need to make sure you didn't go crazy on your yacht collection.

Money buys peace of mind.

Reactions: ithappens, esclava, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and 3 others
S

sólstafir

Experienced
Nov 1, 2018
i wouldn't want to have a lot of money to spend it on useless things, i would like to have a lot of money to get rid of the worry that lack of money causes.

Reactions: temp1234, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and [NoName]
EndofMyRope

EndofMyRope

Student
Oct 17, 2018
Money may not buy happiness, by it sure as hell makes living with depression a hell of a lot easier...

Reactions: temp1234, ithappens, esclava and 6 others
S

stargazer

Arcanist
Nov 19, 2018
I'm very anti-capitalist. I hate money, I hate people who are tight with money even if they're rich or poor. I couldn't care less about money. It's only a means to an end for CTB terms at least.

I'm very much someone who wishes everything in the world was for free. But we still have private home and private car ownership. Just nobody being overly greedy, you know? Nothing so radical.

Reactions: OnlyMercy and [NoName]
LostGirl

LostGirl

My time has come
Dec 3, 2018
I'm very anti-capitalist. I hate money, I hate people who are tight with money even if they're rich or poor. I couldn't care less about money. It's only a means to an end for CTB terms at least.

I'm very much someone who wishes everything in the world was for free. But we still have private home and private car ownership. Just nobody being overly greedy, you know? Nothing so radical.

How can you hate poor people who are tight with their money? For rich ppl, I understand. But poor ppl who are scraping by each day?

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Lefty and TAW122
[NoName]

[NoName]

Student
Nov 15, 2018

I understand hating the system we're under, but to be mad at people who can't help living under it isn't fair.

If you live under capitalism, you have to abide by it on some level. Even as you fight to stop it.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, TAW122 and stargazer
V

Vegrau

Wizard
Nov 27, 2018
Money is the tool to end suffering thats why everyone wants it.

But still one must not forget money is just paper. We are the one who decide what money is and mean to us. Either way people are too greedy to break free from it. Quite entertaining watching them go mad for it.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, wishfulthinking and TAW122
TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
All very good responses and yes, currently, I see money as a means to alleviate some of my pains, but in the long run, I'd still want to die because no amount of money will ever solve certain problems, such as finding a meaningful, genuine relationship, prevent me from old age and infirmity (as well as diseases), and the philosophical part of life & death.

I understand hating the system we're under, but to be mad at people who can't help living under it isn't fair.

If you live under capitalism, you have to abide by it on some level. Even as you fight to stop it.
This is very true. We are all trapped in a system that we seek to escape from (capitalism and society in general). It does take playing by the rules to some degree, or at least enough to get what we need to escape and then once we have our means of escape (ctbing), then we can fuck the rest of society in general (majority of them especially pro-lifers and what not).

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
azucaramargo

azucaramargo

Enlightened
Sep 16, 2018
I'm sure most of you have heard the money cannot buy happiness sayings, but also the other side of money is important, or similar quotes like that. However, I have a rather mixed feeling about it, like it is important depending on the context, but in other situations, not so much. So with that said, here's my two cents (no pun intended) on what I think about money and wealth in general.

I see money as a means to an end. It can help me obtain what I need and to some degree, enjoyable experiences and material items. However, it is not the end all be all for me as there are other things that matter too, such as being able to pursue a hobby, having decent enough health to do so and do the things I want to do (the way I want to). I don't really care for making six figures or necessarily having a boatload of wealth, but definitely enough to live comfortably, afford the methods that I want to ctb with (firearm and what not), and get around a bit. While I say this, I don't mean that having no money is ok, that would suck just as badly too (perhaps worse) because then I would have few options, limited to what I can/cannot do, and essentially be trapped.

Tl;dr - being a rich wage slave isn't the way to go, but being a moneyless slave and living like a hobo isn't good either. Having enough money to pursue one's goals as well as affording good exits is ideal.

M

Money would make all the difference in the world to me. I love it so much, and there's not much I WOULDN'T do for it. As you can probably guess, I have no money. I freaking love money and the things it can buy. Money changes everything, as Cyndi Lauper sang.

azucaramargo

azucaramargo

Enlightened
Sep 16, 2018
All very good responses and yes, currently, I see money as a means to alleviate some of my pains, but in the long run, I'd still want to die because no amount of money will ever solve certain problems, such as finding a meaningful, genuine relationship, prevent me from old age and infirmity (as well as diseases), and the philosophical part of life & death.

This is very true. We are all trapped in a system that we seek to escape from (capitalism and society in general). It does take playing by the rules to some degree, or at least enough to get what we need to escape and then once we have our means of escape (ctbing), then we can fuck the rest of society in general (majority of them especially pro-lifers and what not).
I
Money is the tool to end suffering thats why everyone wants it.

But still one must not forget money is just paper. We are the one who decide what money is and mean to us. Either way people are too greedy to break free from it. Quite entertaining watching them go mad for it.
am one of those people, Vegrau. You can laugh at me. I love money so much.

azucaramargo

azucaramargo

Enlightened
Sep 16, 2018
I don't think I'd be depressed or suicidal if I was rich or had tons of money. I think money does buy happiness because if you have all the money you want/need, you can get whatever you want or need. I know that's a very simple explanation, while I could go on, I'll keep it simple for now.
150% agree, Lefty.

azucaramargo

azucaramargo

Enlightened
Sep 16, 2018
Money doesn't buy happiness, but it can buy what is needed.

Time and energy.

Just imagine all the time and energy you've spent on figuring out your finances alone.

All the math, budgeting, worrying, etc.

If you had a bunch of money, you'd just need to make sure you didn't go crazy on your yacht collection.

Money buys peace of mind.
I agree soooooo hard, NoName.

V

Vegrau

Wizard
Nov 27, 2018
I

am one of those people, Vegrau. You can laugh at me. I love money so much.

Its fine to like it as long as you dont lose yourself to it and commit atrocities in order to get more of it. I like money too. More so than people. Money wont betray you after all.

Xaphous

Xaphous

hikikomori
Nov 11, 2018
Money is obviously essential to survive. Can't even buy food or water without it. It controls your freedoms in this world which is sad and unfair but I can't think of a better system either. I think it's also sad how mentally ill people have to live on the bare minimum or even end up homeless because either the job opportunities are not there, they are too incapacitated to work, or both.

A good idea would be to not develop and uncontrollable gambling habit like I have in the last few years. Many times winning thousands in profit, only to quickly lose it all again with more of my own money lost on top. Right now I have no money left at all. One month I could be thousands in profit, the next without anything, when you are numb and depressed though it just doesn't register.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, wxtyubidi7y, Meeseeks and 3 others
azucaramargo

azucaramargo

Enlightened
Sep 16, 2018
Money is obviously essential to survive. Can't even buy food or water without it. It controls your freedoms in this world which is sad and unfair but I can't think of a better system either. I think it's also sad how mentally ill people have to live on the bare minimum or even end up homeless because either the job opportunities are not there, they are too incapacitated to work, or both.

A good idea would be to not develop and uncontrollable gambling habit like I have in the last few years. Many times winning thousands in profit, only to quickly lose it all again with more of my own money lost on top. Right now I have no money left at all. One month I could be thousands in profit, the next without anything, when you are numb and depressed though it just doesn't register.
Xaphous, I am sorry about your gambling habit. I have always been curious about this one aspect ganbling addiction: when you have all that money in your hands from a big win, what makes you want to part with it all over again? Wouldn't you just want to run out the door and sprinkle all that money on your problems? That's what I would do. I don't mean to simplify your situation, I'm just curious. Do you go back to gamble with your winnings because there's always a chance you'll win more? Is that it? Just curious.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and Xaphous
Xaphous

Xaphous

hikikomori
Nov 11, 2018
Xaphous, I am sorry about your gambling habit. I have always been curious about this one aspect ganbling addiction: when you have all that money in your hands from a big win, what makes you want to part with it all over again? Wouldn't you just want to run out the door and sprinkle all that money on your problems? That's what I would do. I don't mean to simplify your situation, I'm just curious. Do you go back to gamble with your winnings because there's always a chance you'll win more? Is that it? Just curious.

I only ever gambled online never land-based, so the physical money is not in my hands. I would withdraw often large sums, usually back in my account in 2-3 days. As soon as it's back in I would deposit back the majority of it very often losing all of that, only ending when I have nothing left. It's just sheer compulsion. I am barely aware of what I'm even doing. It used to be fun and I cut cut my lossings/winnings but it quickly spiraled out of control betting more aggressively. The house always wins as they say. I have quite an addictive personality in general though.

azucaramargo

azucaramargo

Enlightened
Sep 16, 2018
I only ever gambled online never land-based, so the physical money is not in my hands. I would withdraw often large sums, usually back in my account in 2-3 days. As soon as it's back in I would deposit back the majority of it very often losing all of that, only ending when I have nothing left. It's just sheer compulsion. I am barely aware of what I'm even doing. It used to be fun and I cut cut my lossings/winnings but it quickly spiraled out of control betting more aggressively. The house always wins as they say. I have quite an addictive personality in general though.
Thank you for deconstructing your experience for the sake of my curiosity, Xaphous. I also have an addictive personality, but because of my love of -- and inability to generate -- money, I've just never wanted to gamble it. I hope you can find the support you need. And,I also understand 100% what you mean when you say that it's compulsive. Most of my damned life is compulsion. Maybe next time you want to gamble you can send your money to ME :). Just kidding. You're cool, Xaphous. Remember that.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and Xaphous
Kyrok

Kyrok

Paragon
Nov 6, 2018
For political reasons, I found out today that my boss's boss's boss vetoed the huge raise I was about to get. It was going to be formally announced in a couple days, but my boss just broke the news to me.

He was very worried I would be extremely upset, but instead, my thought was: my life fucking sucks regardless. A couple days ago I was pondering a new car (which i don't need), as I was expecting a big raise. So, what is money? After the essenials .... roof, food, and medicine, it doesn't fucking matter. I've lived on 8K per year and 200K... just more junk, quick thrills that get stale and life sucks again.

Reactions: Jean Améry and RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
azucaramargo

azucaramargo

Enlightened
Sep 16, 2018
For political reasons, I found out today that my boss's boss's boss vetoed the huge raise I was about to get. It was going to be formally announced in a couple days, but my boss just broke the news to me.

He was very worried I would be extremely upset, but instead, my thought was: my life fucking sucks regardless. A couple days ago I was pondering a new car (which i don't need), as I was expecting a big raise. So, what is money? After the essenials .... roof, food, and medicine, it doesn't fucking matter. I've lived on 8K per year and 200K... just more junk, quick thrills that get stale and life sucks again.
You're a bigger man than I, Kyrok. Wish I could be that independent. I'm so sorry about the vetoing of the raise. That really sucks. Just remember that it's not about you--bigger forces at play. By that, I mean that there was nothing YOU did wrong to have the raise canceled. Sounds like they really like you at your company.

azucaramargo

azucaramargo

Enlightened
Sep 16, 2018
It's everything to me. Money can't buy happiness? Well it can pay my debts, get me the help I need, and make my choices in life almost unlimited. I don't know about you but that would make me pretty fucking happy
As I was reading your post, I thought it was a post I had written. I feel EXACTLY the same way, Empty Reflection.

Kyrok

Kyrok

Paragon
Nov 6, 2018
It's everything to me. Money can't buy happiness? Well it can pay my debts, get me the help I need, and make my choices in life almost unlimited. I don't know about you but that would make me pretty fucking happy
I understand that debt can decimate one's life. If you have a family, you may be trapped. But if not, and you're healthy enough to work, declare bankruptcy and start over.

Until I was 30, I made under $10,000/yr in Boston and was relatively happy. Living cheap can be great -- if you can first escape your debt.

Reactions: sif and RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
F

Final Escape

I’ve been here too long
Jul 8, 2018
You only need so much. To keep the bill collectors at bay and after a certain level of wealth it doesn't make u happier.

Nerdyartist85

Nerdyartist85

Disappointment
Nov 27, 2018
As someone whose struggling with four delinquent accounts after being hospitalized and losing my full time job, yes...money would mean everything to me. I'm working part time at the moment for packing peanuts, but it's not enough. I'm so close to getting sued and losing my car...

Reactions: sif, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and Final Escape
F

Final Escape

I’ve been here too long
Jul 8, 2018
Right, I hate when people say money doesn't buy happiness. It sure helps alleviate misery though.

Herbalpompano75

Herbalpompano75

I loved her
Dec 1, 2018
Most of my life it never really matter to much but the past few years I've just wanted to be rich so I don't have to wake up every morning and do stuff I hate just to survive and I can work on my cars all day everyday and just have fun and have friends even if I had to buy them I'd buy them a house and all the toys they want so we can race together or go shooting together or something I'd get me everything that I need not a mansion but a nice house and a nice garage and some nice land and a few toys (atv side by sides race cars trophy trucks etc) then I'd help a lot of people like my sister and her family they struggle and I'd help them out and a ton of people as long as I have money for car parts I'm fine but honestly right now if I got a load of money I'd probably buy her a truck and a nice house and everything she wants even if she cheated even if she hates me I still love her and I want her to be happy I know a truck would really make her happy then honestly I'd probably buy a jet learn to fly it and run it into the ground as fast as fucking possible I just love going fast and I think that would be one hell of a way to die

Meeseeks

Meeseeks

Student
Nov 15, 2018
Money is the most important thing in the world whether one likes it or not.

Reactions: sif, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and Final Escape