N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
There are different traditions. Religious ones like circumcision or celebrating christmas.
Political ones like the monarchy or certain values (like democratic values)
Cultural ones like language and dialects.
Laws are often a product of certain traditions
The term tradition is not that importatnt in philosophy. But there are also different movements which are influences by traditions.

When I had this thread in my mind I thought I would say traditions are not that important for me. But now when I think about how heterogenous traditions are I am not sure about it. I think some are really important, others are overrated.

In my opinion there lies the danger in traditions that we undertake/adopt them without questioning them critically. Past conventional wisdom can cause a lot of damage. I was raised in a very traditional family. Violence was very common as a measure to discipline the children. It ruined my and my sister's life.

There are probably a lot of grey areas. One cannot call all traditions as damaging per se. (In my opinion) Still I am sceptical about them. However traditions are probably a necessity so that our societies can work. We cannot invent everthing new every generation. But we should learn from our past mistakes and adopt changes when we recognize dangerous/detrimental develeopments.

jodes2

jodes2

Hello people ❤️
Aug 28, 2022
I hate traditions that oppose suicide and euthanasia