M

meles_inoris

Student
Mar 18, 2020
I think a .50 cal fired directly to the palate or back of the head would be more than enough. But is there anything more available that I could use to make a big mess?

After The End

After The End

The lily whispers, “I wait.”
Jul 31, 2019
If by .50 cal you mean .50 BMG it's about 12.7mm and will nowhere near obliterate your head. It will make a very big hole, and if the barrel is flush with your skull the propellant gasses will send a lot of your skulls insides spraying out of the exit wound. That will do far more damage than the round itself in fact. It will be incredibly messy. However you will still have a roughly recognizable, if misshapen and largely empty, head attached to your neck.

12.7mm HE rounds do exist I believe, but the HE charge is extremely weak and they're not exactly something you can buy at wall-mart. In fact I'm fairly certain they're considered destructive devices under US law and thus it takes a lot of legal shenanigans to get your hands on one.

To completely obliterate your head you'd need something that would no longer be considered a gun in the traditional sense. That is either a canon (something 20mm or greater preferably firing a HE round) or a sub four gauge shotgun; like one of those old Punt guns (usually 0 bore) they used for killing entire flocks of ducks in a single shot. Legally speaking the latter is much easier to obtain than the former, but as they're generally antiques and highly collectible you will pay far out the ass and to be honest, you could probably make your own more easily if you have a supply of powder and shot.

You could also try explosive ammunition of some sort, but again this tends to be tightly controlled and not readily available. I think the explosive sniper rounds that were in use on the Eastern Front can still be purchased, and they can pretty well take your head off, but the issue is the explosive in these is old, and people testing them have found it unreliable. Sometimes they go bang. Sometimes they don't.

Nothing stopping you making your own of course.