nigelhernandez

nigelhernandez

Experienced
Apr 14, 2020
I live in Ireland and we've had a particularly infamous homeless crisis. Many of my European friends who have visited say that the number of people on the streets is particularly shocking as you wouldn't see that many in Germany, Spain, France.

But contrary to that, I've actually heard it's very difficult to end up on the streets if you don't have a drug addiction problem/mental illness. It's very hard to get evicted here (I know someone who didn't pay rent for a year and her landlord tried to get her out to no avail). There are many supports for people who have fallen behind on rent, there's welfare or job seekers allowance.

I've heard the worst developed country to be homeless is America.

Reactions: Pen>Sword
Deleted member 17949

Deleted member 17949

Visionary
May 9, 2020
No idea, but there are homeless people around so can't be that hard

• Hugs
Reactions: Deleted member 4993
C

checkouttime

Visionary
Jul 15, 2020
I live in Ireland and we've had a particularly infamous homeless crisis. Many of my European friends who have visited say that the number of people on the streets is particularly shocking as you wouldn't see that many in Germany, Spain, France.

But contrary to that, I've actually heard it's very difficult to end up on the streets if you don't have a drug addiction problem/mental illness. It's very hard to get evicted here (I know someone who didn't pay rent for a year and her landlord tried to get her out to no avail). There are many supports for people who have fallen behind on rent, there's welfare or job seekers allowance.

Its very hard for a lanlord to evict a person, even if they haven't been paying rent. alot of the time the judge will give the person extra time and leiniency. If a person has children even more so. I used to work for alot of landlords and i asked about it once as one,had not been payed for like a year. he said it was costly and judges side with the tennant, its all in their favour.

I have seen tv programs and seen the people living in tents,under bridges etc. it blew mymind. they have a massive oopiod crisis in some places which i imagine could contribute

Reactions: Pen>Sword
BRBRB

BRBRB

Sep 15, 2020
Im from San Francisco where rent is about 2500$USD for a decent apartment and pay is not nearly enough to survive on one job. I just got fired so I had to move back to California and if I wasn't at my aunts during a room& bunk bed with my little cousin I'd be sleeping in my car But my transmission went out so I can't even do that

• Hugs
Reactions: Pen>Sword and (deleted member)
BerryCakes

BerryCakes

Local Case Study
Sep 20, 2020
I'm from the USA, so I'd say it depends on which state you live in. If you're from California like I or the above poster is, though, then it's extremely easy. I am living at a homeless shelter at the moment. ; w ;

• Hugs
Reactions: Pen>Sword, checkouttime and (deleted member)
Brick In The Wall

Brick In The Wall

2M Or Not 2B.
Oct 30, 2019
Most people are only one mistake or misfortune away from homelessness. I'd imagine that's the case almost anywhere.

Reactions: JGT1, Throwawaysoul, GrumpyFrog and 3 others
HappyMstake

HappyMstake

Not so happy as it turns out.
May 29, 2020
I assume it's pretty easy if you lose your job, don't have a back up and no one to stay with, it's inevitable.

Reactions: Deleted member 4993
W

Wisdom3_1-9

he/him/his
Jul 19, 2020
I live in the US where a medical procedure can bankrupt you, so yeah, pretty easy. It's embarrassing, really, how easy it is in the wealthiest country on earth to end up without a safety net. But hey, the stock market's doing well, so things must be great, right? Ugh.

• Aww..
  • Hugs
Reactions: Pen>Sword, Final Escape, Throwawaysoul and 2 others
C

checkouttime

Visionary
Jul 15, 2020
I live in the US where a medical procedure can bankrupt you, so yeah, pretty easy. It's embarrassing, really, how easy it is in the wealthiest country on earth to end up without a safety net. But hey, the stock market's doing well, so things must be great, right? Ugh.

It blows my mind the US medical thing, was just talking before with a neighbour about it!!

Reactions: Deleted member 4993 and Final Escape
Chupacabra 44

Chupacabra 44

If boredom were a CTB method, I would be long gone
Sep 13, 2020
Absolutely despicable how easy it is.

Reactions: JGT1, Final Escape and (deleted member)
F

Final Escape

I’ve been here too long
Jul 8, 2018

In the US it's pretty easy. You only have to mismanage income, living paycheck to paycheck especially if it's not very much. The biggest reason people end up homeless would probably be addiction, poor health, mental health issues, estranged from family and lack of support system from say extended family if u are lucky enough to have extended family to lean on. Job loss or disability. Or you commited a non violent crime and now u are barred from renting formally because it makes u look bad to landlords. It's very regulated when u try to rent, meaning they can create unfair barriers that make it difficult to access for some people which is cruel since we all need shelter. You have to be working on paper, prove how much u make, it has to be legit work, or I mean legal. So some pple have a hard time finding housing just because they got in some trouble and often not over something that is actually a crime especially if nobody got hurt. Unfortunately the social safety net is not necessarily efficient. Often people have to wait forever or jump through hoops to finally get the assistance they need.

Last edited:
  • Hmph!
Reactions: checkouttime