A

aaaannndz

Feb 17, 2020
I remember reading on some post that if you're gonna ctb at a hotel, do it after midnight
because a) you won't be disturbed, b) you don't want your body laying around for more than 12 hours

I was planning on waiting till my city hits Stage 3 of reopening and I have more excuses
to give my parents for being gone overnight, but I'm thinking if I just want to get it over
with right now. That would mean checking-in in the afternoon and doing it in the evening.
But I'm worried, it seems too early, and also too easy.

How early do you think I can do it without being interrupted by cleaners?
And where do I find this mythical Do Not Disturb sign I keep hearing about?
(sorry, never been in a hotel before so I have zero idea how anything works)

• Hugs
Reactions: anhedonicNfoggy, Busdriver and Deleted member 17331
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Brevity is my middle name, but my name was TL
Jan 11, 2020
Your room should already be clean.

The do not disturb sign is usually on the door handle inside the room, or on a desk or bureau. It may be something you stick in the lock rather that hang from the doorknob.

Would be a good idea to put furniture in front of the door to block it, and request a room on the highest floor available. Better to go to a hotel where the room is accessed from an indoor hallway rather than an outside breezeway, that way if you're on a higher floor it's difficult for emergency services to get in through a window.

If you can afford a suite with an interior bedroom even better, then there's two doors you can block.

To quietly move furniture if the room is carpeted, you can use the top of a cardboard box and turn the flaps into sliders, just tilt the furniture back and place them under the corners.

Also good to unplug the phone.

When you check in, tell them that you do not want to be distributed, don't want any outside calls or calls from the front desk, and if your reservation is for more than a couple days, that you will bring your towels and sheets to the desk when you are ready to change. But if you've only resreved for a night, there's no reason for them to clean until after your checkout. If you feel like you need an excuse for not being interrupted, you can tell them you have work to do and don't want to be interrupted, but I doubt they'll ask.

• Love
Reactions: Busdriver, faust, Angina and 3 others
B

Belgiumdude

Jun 15, 2020
When you check in you're given a clean room. You won't be disturbed by cleaners anymore that day. You can also hang the do not disturb sign on your doorknob to make sure no one comes knocking. As for being disturbed, really there is no 'too early'.

As for being discovered: if you don't want your body to be laying around for too long make just a reservation for one night. If you book a longer stay and have the do not disturb sign out, cleaners will not try to enter your room until the day you're supposed to check out. Depending on the hotel, they might leave some clean towels and toiletries at the door, or just ignore the room altogether.

• Love
Reactions: Angina, Bct, aaaannndz and 1 other person
A

aaaannndz

Feb 17, 2020
Your room should already be clean.

The do not disturb sign is usually on the door handle inside the room, or on a desk or bureau. It may be something you stick in the lock rather that hang from the doorknob.

Would be a good idea to put furniture in front of the door to block it, and request a room on the highest floor available. Better to go to a hotel where the room is accessed from an indoor hallway rather than an outside breezeway, that way if you're on a higher floor it's difficult for emergency services to get in through a window.

If you can afford a suite with an interior bedroom even better, then there's two doors you can block.

To quietly move furniture if the room is carpeted, you can use the top of a cardboard box and turn the flaps into sliders, just tilt the furniture back and place them under the corners.

Also good to unplug the phone.

When you check in, tell them that you do not want to be distributed, don't want any outside calls or calls from the front desk, and if your reservation is for more than a couple days, that you will bring your towels and sheets to the desk when you are ready to change. But if you've only resreved for a night, there's no reason for them to clean until after your checkout. If you feel like you need an excuse for not being interrupted, you can tell them you have work to do and don't want to be interrupted, but I doubt they'll ask.

Wow thank you so much for all of that, those were all literally things I've never thought of before. I feel so much more prepared.

So you can request for a floor? I was planning on just bookingonline but do I need to call for that? And hold on, so not every hotel room has a bedroom? Does that also mean not every room has a bathroom? (that's where I was planning on doing it)

When you check in you're given a clean room. You won't be disturbed by cleaners anymore that day. You can also hang the do not disturb sign on your doorknob to make sure no one comes knocking. As for being disturbed, really there is no 'too early'.

As for being discovered: if you don't want your body to be laying around for too long make just a reservation for one night. If you book a longer stay and have the do not disturb sign out, cleaners will not try to enter your room until the day you're supposed to check out. Depending on the hotel, they might leave some clean towels and toiletries at the door, or just ignore the room altogether.

"there is no too early" was definitely my favourite part of your reply. I feel a little more relieved knowing once things are ready, technically I could
do it on any day. Thanks so much for replying, this was the response I was hoping to get

Reactions: GoodPersonEffed
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Brevity is my middle name, but my name was TL
Jan 11, 2020
Wow thank you so much for all of that, those were all literally things I've never thought of before. I feel so much more prepared.

So you can request for a floor? I was planning on just bookingonline but do I need to call for that? And hold on, so not every hotel room has a bedroom? Does that also mean not every bedroom has a bathroom?

Yes, you can request a floor, and you can do that in the comments of your request depending on the website you book through. You can ask in the request that the hotel verify via email you will not be on the ground floor or you will have to cancel the reservation.

Every hotel room is a bedroom, but some are suites, with a separate bedroom and living area, like in an apartment. The listing will show if it's a room or a suite.

It's good that you asked about a bathroom. In a regular hotel in the US or Canada, the room will almost always have a bathroom, but be sure to verify that online. It should state in the listing that there is a bathroom in the room, not a shared bathroom.

Reactions: aaaannndz
B

Belgiumdude

Jun 15, 2020
When it comes to floor/room choice: if you can afford it (and even if you can't: are you really worried about your credit card bill anymore?) go for a fancy hotel from a well-known chain, like Hilton. They allow you to check in online and pick the floor/room of your choice. In general you can expect the fancier rooms (suites, club rooms) to be on the higher floors.

Reactions: aaaannndz and Angina
A

aaaannndz

Feb 17, 2020
Yes, you can request a floor, and you can do that in the comments of your request depending on the website you book through. You can ask in the request that the hotel verify via email you will not be on the ground floor or you will have to cancel the reservation.

Every hotel room is a bedroom, but some are suites, with a separate bedroom and living area, like in an apartment. The listing will show if it's a room or a suite.

It's good that you asked about a bathroom. In a regular hotel in the US or Canada, the room will almost always have a bathroom, but be sure to verify that online. It should state in the listing that there is a bathroom in the room, not a shared bathroom.

Wow I'm glad I asked about the bathroom. A shared bathroom would totally defeat the purpose. Thanks for all your help, I'll be sure to keep it all in mind :)

When it comes to floor/room choice: if you can afford it (and even if you can't: are you really worried about your credit card bill anymore?) go for a fancy hotel from a well-known chain, like Hilton. They allow you to check in online and pick the floor/room of your choice. In general you can expect the fancier rooms (suites, club rooms) to be on the higher floors.

Good advice, I'll try to aim for the higher tier hotels. And that's true, I don't care about the bill, but part of me is worried about the worst-case scenario: making it out alive and having to deal with the consequences. Regardless, thanks for everything :)

Reactions: Busdriver, Angina and GoodPersonEffed